How Do I Get Navy Chocolate...

Decorating By jdelectables Updated 15 May 2007 , 6:25pm by Teekakes

jdelectables Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jdelectables Posted 15 May 2007 , 3:43am
post #1 of 9

Hi, all ~

How can I get navy chocolate melts? Do they sell them? How would I get that color if I were doing it at home?

Thanks,
Julie

8 replies
msthang1224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msthang1224 Posted 15 May 2007 , 3:57am
post #2 of 9

I have never seen navy blue colored chocolate but thats not to say that there aren't any somewhere.

If you can't find them, I would just use white chocolate and color it with wilton's candy coloring in blue until you get the shade that you want. But, remember, you have to use a coloring fit for candy because if you use the wrong one (water based) your chocolate will seize!! GOOD LUCK!!

Teekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teekakes Posted 15 May 2007 , 4:02am
post #3 of 9

If you color white candy melts you will need to use candy color OR regular colors mixed with Color Flow. I use the color flow and regular colors because I think it makes better colors.....JMO. Color flow can be ordered from right here on CC or various other suppliers on the internet. Just do a google search for color flow for chocolate and you will pull several.

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 15 May 2007 , 5:22am
post #4 of 9

You can buy blue Cocoa Butter and add it to melted white chocolate, but it is rather expensive. I would use Navy Blue petal dust powder, mix it with enough vegetable oil to make a smooth, loose paste, mix it into melted white chocolate. Or, paste or gel color mixed again with oil and stirred into the melted white chocolate.
Scroll down to pre-colored Cocoa Butter.
http://beryls.safeshopper.com/200/cat200.htm?625

Teekakes Posted 15 May 2007 , 4:12pm
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShirleyW

You can buy blue Cocoa Butter and add it to melted white chocolate, but it is rather expensive. I would use Navy Blue petal dust powder, mix it with enough vegetable oil to make a smooth, loose paste, mix it into melted white chocolate. Or, paste or gel color mixed again with oil and stirred into the melted white chocolate.

So Shirley, this means no color flow is needed to color white chocolate if we use the petal dust and veg oil? I am assuming luster dust will work the same as petal dust? If this is true and I do not need color flow I am going to be a bit miffed at the professionals at a local cake supply store that sold me the color flow. icon_rolleyes.gif

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 15 May 2007 , 5:42pm
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teekakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShirleyW

So Shirley, this means no color flow is needed to color white chocolate if we use the petal dust and veg oil? I am assuming will work the same as petal dust? If this is true and I do not need color flow I am going to be a bit miffed at the professionals at a local cake supply store that sold me the color flow. icon_rolleyes.gif

I have never used color flow in chocolate, I have no idea how it works. If you look in my photo gallery at the hot pink chocolate purse cake, that is white melted chocolate colored with a bright pink petal dust mixed to a smooth paste with vegetable oil. I just added it a spoonful at a time to the white until I acheived the shade I was looking for.
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=68838

Now today I found these Blue chocolate wafers made by Merkens, if they aren't dark enough you could add the color the way I suggested above to get a Navy blue.
http://www.candylandcrafts.com/Merckens_Rainbow_Wafers.htm

jobartwo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jobartwo Posted 15 May 2007 , 5:50pm
post #7 of 9

You can get Navy Candy melts at A.C. Moore at least here in PA.

jocekinns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jocekinns Posted 15 May 2007 , 6:03pm
post #8 of 9

I read somewhere (like candy central??) that you can make navy from merkens blue and dark green at a 2:1 ratio. (2 Blue: 1 Dark Green)...I'm making chocolate shells that need to be dark blue swirled with white for a wedding, then dusted in pearl. Haven't made them yet...hope they turn out though. icon_lol.gif

Teekakes Posted 15 May 2007 , 6:25pm
post #9 of 9

Thank you very much Shirley! Your pink purse is gorgeous and looks nothing like a cake whatsoever! It looks like a brand new purse sitting there.
On that note I am going to forget buying any more color flow and will use my dusts and veg oil.
My word! Some of the things we unnecessarily fret over! icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%