Need Help With Graduation Cake!

Decorating By njcake Updated 22 May 2007 , 6:01pm by heavenlyfire

njcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
njcake Posted 15 May 2007 , 2:38am
post #1 of 4

Hello,

I am making a graduation cake for a friend's son this weekend and I need some help!! They want a light icing, not very sweet, kind of like Costco's whipped icing. I usually make a buttercream icing but I think that is going to be too sweet. Any ideas/recipes anyone has used that might do the trick?

Also I am going to try my hand at fondant and make a graduation cap to go on top of the cake. How far in advance can I do that? I am afraid frosting the cake and decorating it will take lots of time and I want to make sure I get everything done by Saturday! Thanks in advance!!

NJ

3 replies
heavenlyfire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heavenlyfire Posted 15 May 2007 , 2:41am
post #2 of 4

I just did a layered strawberry/pound cake with stabilized whipped cream and added about 1/2 package of french vanilla pudding to it instead of sugar and vanilla...it came out very nice. Only problem is that it was yellow b/c of the pudding - but if that isn't a problem, the taste was great! I got the stabilized whipped cream recipe here on cc.

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 15 May 2007 , 2:57am
post #3 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavenlyfire

I just did a layered strawberry/pound cake with stabilized whipped cream and added about 1/2 package of french vanilla pudding to it instead of sugar and vanilla...it came out very nice. Only problem is that it was yellow b/c of the pudding - but if that isn't a problem, the taste was great! I got the stabilized whipped cream recipe here on cc.

I am not really seeing how you used these ingredients! I am having the same problem njcake! My friend's mom basically said they usually put cool whip on their cakes and she does NOT like that whipped stuff in the store! Agggh!

I have already started to make my grad cap for Saturday. Use Gumpaste and you can let it fully dry!
Good luck with your grad cake!!

heavenlyfire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heavenlyfire Posted 22 May 2007 , 6:01pm
post #4 of 4

Sorry, been off boards for a bit..I used the stabilized whipped cream recipe here on cc to start with but didn't add sugar or vanilla once it was stiff, I added about 1/2 package instant french vanilla pudding. I whipped it again to a good consistency for holding a shape - in this case, a shell border - and went from there. It is in my pics, the strawberry layered cake. I didn't cover the sides, wanted the berries to peek out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%