Question About Cake Fillings

Baking By NEWTODECORATING Updated 18 May 2005 , 1:20am by ntertayneme

NEWTODECORATING Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NEWTODECORATING Posted 17 May 2005 , 11:10pm
post #1 of 8

First a BIG thank you to all of you wonderful cake people for all the information. I am new to cake decorating and this site, and I have been reading and reading--the wealth of knowledge here is endless. I have learned more in the month of reading than I ever thought possible. My decorating skills are improving 10 fold but now I want to work on my cake baking skills as well. A pretty cake is only pretty until it is cut--a cake that is not great will stay in people's minds alot longer icon_cry.gif
Anyway to make a long story short- I am making my DH a birthday cake for tommorrow- deep dark choc. I want to layer it so I can do some practice on the sides. More choc. seems to rich and I have done BC so I was looking for something else. Can you use ice cream toppings, like caramel, would you use it straight or mixed with powered sugar to make it thicker?
Thanks again
Kimberly

7 replies
m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 17 May 2005 , 11:13pm
post #2 of 8

http://www.ladycakes.com/filling_chart.htm check this out for some yummy fillings

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 17 May 2005 , 11:14pm
post #3 of 8

oops, wrong one
http://www.ladycakes.com/Recipes/Fillings/fillings.htm this is the correct one
the other one gives you amounts of filling needed for what type cake you are making

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 17 May 2005 , 11:49pm
post #4 of 8

The caramel topping is really thin. You might try the caramel dip that's used for apples. I've also used the Duncan Hines caramel frosting to fill a chocolate fudge cake. I did alternate rings of the caramel frosting and chocolate frosting. I thought it would look pretty when it was cut and it tasted great.

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 17 May 2005 , 11:53pm
post #5 of 8

Ooooh Lisa.... you're so smart! That sounds so yummy! I bet it did look pretty. My mind spinning... cream cheese and strawberry swirl... baverian cream and fudge... ect. I can't wait to try that. Don't know why I never thought of it before!

NEWTODECORATING Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NEWTODECORATING Posted 17 May 2005 , 11:55pm
post #6 of 8

I just knew I could count on you guys! Such great ideas! OK I am off to the kitchen. icon_lol.gif

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 18 May 2005 , 12:10am
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacockplace

Ooooh Lisa.... you're so smart! That sounds so yummy! I bet it did look pretty. My mind spinning... cream cheese and strawberry swirl... baverian cream and fudge... ect. I can't wait to try that. Don't know why I never thought of it before!

Mmmmm...glad it's almost time for dessert here!

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 18 May 2005 , 1:20am
post #8 of 8

Welcome aboard NEWTODECORATING... this is an awesome place for ideas/information... I've used the website m0use post for you to go to... that has to be the best place for filling recipes out there !! Best of luck with you cake!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%