How Much Would You Charge For This Cake?

Decorating By sunflowerfreak Updated 14 Jun 2006 , 2:44am by sunflowerfreak

sunflowerfreak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunflowerfreak Posted 13 Jun 2006 , 1:14am
post #1 of 28

I have a wedding cake to do. I just got the order Saturday. The wedding is June 24th!!!! Nothing like last minute. Anyways this bride has changed her mind 3 times already and is driving me crazy. My question is, how much would you charge for this:

I am making ONLY the last bottom 2 tiers in 12 and 10 inches, 2 layer each layer 2 inches. So the cakes will be 4 inches high not counting the filling. It's a Martha Stewart apple caramel cake recipe that is absolutley awesome tasting. It's got apple butter, apples, brown sugar, sugar, cream cheese, homemade caramel, etc. It's not inexpensive to make!! I am decorating the layers just as they are in the picture but different colors. How much would you charge?
LL
LL

27 replies
spottydog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spottydog Posted 13 Jun 2006 , 1:16am
post #2 of 28

I guess it depends on your location. I would say no less than $650.00

rezzygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rezzygirl Posted 13 Jun 2006 , 1:19am
post #3 of 28

For just the two layers, I would charge $300-$350. (I'm in NY).

FunCakesVT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FunCakesVT Posted 13 Jun 2006 , 1:25am
post #4 of 28

Are the pearls to be made or is it a string? Is the ribbon to be bought or will it be pearlized fondant? How about the flowers?

spottydog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spottydog Posted 13 Jun 2006 , 1:26am
post #5 of 28

OOPS sorry read too quick. Thought you had meant the photo. I agree with Rezzycakes

sunflowerfreak Posted 13 Jun 2006 , 1:27am
post #6 of 28

The pearls I will buy. The ribbon I will buy. The flowers the bridge is buying. The big ribbon I am buying. It should be a pretty simple cake. Just the bottom 2 tiers 12 and 10 inches in the apple cake.

cindww Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindww Posted 13 Jun 2006 , 1:32am
post #7 of 28

I feel like this is deja vu..didn't someone just post this same picture with the same cake a few days ago??
Maybe I'm losing it. icon_smile.gif
Anyway, the cake is beautiful..good luck!
cindy

sunflowerfreak Posted 13 Jun 2006 , 1:44am
post #8 of 28

No you are not losing it Cindy. This is the second time I have posted this because the bridge keeps changing her mind on how many layers and what kind of cake she wants. She makes up her mind one day and the next changes it. So I was just asking for another price for her change for today. Sorry.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 13 Jun 2006 , 3:47am
post #9 of 28

Have you sat down to figure out how much it is going to cost you to make it?

skylightsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
skylightsky Posted 13 Jun 2006 , 3:54am
post #10 of 28

Hey there!

I posted that recipe.. icon_smile.gif

alimonkey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alimonkey Posted 13 Jun 2006 , 4:06am
post #11 of 28

First of all, be sure to get her order in writing. You are less than 2 weeks from the wedding. Give her a "no more changes" deadline you're comfortable with, but no later than Friday (really I would say tomorrow or Wed. at the latest - you're already under the gun.) After that, any changes you're willing to make will cost more.

Then since you're in Mass, unless you're in a tiny little town where everything is cheap (which I don't think is possible in New England, is it?) I would charge her around $4/serving minimum. Sounds like an expensive cake to make, and after all, it is kind of a "rush" order.

Good luck, and stand your ground! There aren't many out there that can take on an order like this at the last minute.

sunflowerfreak Posted 13 Jun 2006 , 11:01am
post #12 of 28

Yes Skylightsky, thanks soooo much for your help on that recipe. I didn't know what I was going to do. I lost my magazine and didn't cut the recipe out. Thanks for your help. sunflowerfreak

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 13 Jun 2006 , 1:31pm
post #13 of 28

how much will it cost you to make and how much profit do you hope to make after accounting for your labor? with that information, you have your price.

subaru Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
subaru Posted 13 Jun 2006 , 2:35pm
post #14 of 28

I can't wait to see the pics of this cake after you get done. I would charge at least 300.

cpriojas28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cpriojas28 Posted 13 Jun 2006 , 3:49pm
post #15 of 28

I agree w/everyone. NO LESS than $300. Oh by the way....where do I get that recipe?? Thx!

wendysue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wendysue Posted 13 Jun 2006 , 3:52pm
post #16 of 28

Me too! That apple cake sounds amazing! Is it on Martha's website? icon_lol.gif

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 13 Jun 2006 , 4:11pm
post #17 of 28

I tried looking here under Skylightsky's name for the recipe (you said you posted it), but I couldn't find it. I also searched on Martha Stewart & on Google. It Sounds awesome! My wedding cake was caramel apple and I've been searching for a recipe ever since (I didn't make it) b/c it was the best thing I've ever tasted! I would absolutely LOVE the recipe!!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

itsloops Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itsloops Posted 13 Jun 2006 , 4:37pm
post #18 of 28

I'd like that recipe as well.

Thanks!
icon_smile.gif

askarrick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
askarrick Posted 13 Jun 2006 , 4:44pm
post #19 of 28

I want the recipe too!

Thanks!

Yjudania Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Yjudania Posted 13 Jun 2006 , 4:50pm
post #20 of 28

Me too!!! sounds delish!

$300 sounds reasonable to me...

karebere Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karebere Posted 13 Jun 2006 , 4:59pm
post #21 of 28

I found the posting! Here it is! It sounds delicious!
icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif
Karrie

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-259701-.html#259701

sunflowerfreak Posted 13 Jun 2006 , 5:47pm
post #22 of 28

I found the recipe in Martha Stewart's wedding magazine. I can't remember which season but it might have been either the fall or winter. It is absolutely delicious. I am charging her $290 for the cake. I hope I wasn't too high on it. I don't think I am.

srdegelos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
srdegelos Posted 13 Jun 2006 , 7:05pm
post #23 of 28

I think $290 is a good price if your sure she isn't going to make any more changes. Good luck it really is a beautiful cake. Is there going to be flowers on top or does she have a cake topper?

LeeAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeeAnn Posted 13 Jun 2006 , 7:10pm
post #24 of 28

When someone asks how much would you charge / I think if it is a good as posted well I would say £300/ but it really depends immensley on each individuals quality of work the type of cakes etc etc a difficult one basically

sunflowerfreak Posted 13 Jun 2006 , 9:06pm
post #25 of 28

She is putting blue hydrangeas on top. Where there is mauve color her's will be light blue. Then the wine colored bow will be navy blue. It should look nice. I can't wait to do. I bought the same cake plateau that is in the picture. It's beautiful and will really make the cake look awesome. This is only my 3rd cake. So if it looks bad, I am hoping the plateau will make up for it!!!

edencakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
edencakes Posted 14 Jun 2006 , 1:26am
post #26 of 28

I may be a bit late - but I would charge $3.50/serving, or $427.

Good luck, I can't wait to see how it turns out!

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 14 Jun 2006 , 1:34am
post #27 of 28

I'd love to have the recipe too if you wouldn't mind sharing or direct me to the link if it's already posted. Thanks in advance.

sunflowerfreak Posted 14 Jun 2006 , 2:44am
post #28 of 28

Karabere has the link for the recipe up above.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%