imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 16 May 2007 , 2:15pm
post #32 of 47

oops I'll try again
LL

vrmcc1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vrmcc1 Posted 16 May 2007 , 3:26pm
post #33 of 47

Can't help you on price. I always under charge, but your cake is awsome!!

imartsy Posted 16 May 2007 , 4:03pm
post #34 of 47

Oh oops maybe I didn't give credit - sorry! The cake in the picture was made by CJF. I'm just going to try to do something similar. Anyone else have a clue? If this woman doesn't give me an exact number for cookies...... why does this have to be so hard, ugh!

schildwaster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
schildwaster Posted 16 May 2007 , 4:19pm
post #35 of 47

I would first set the price for your cake. 60 people sheet cake 70 bucks plus the graduation cap $15 bucks scroll $5. cake $90. I would do the chocolate chip cookies by the dozen. I'm guessing she's looking for about 3 dozen (a tray) so at 10.00 a dozen 30.00.(medium scoop cookies) I would charge 1.00 for the shamrocks. only make 30 of those so 30.00. I know it seems cheap for the cookies but i'm sure you would rather have too many than too few. They will be bigger so she won't miss the 6 cookies. or you could throw them it because recipes usually make 3 dozen cookies. You want the trays to seem full. Your biggest obstacle is time. Chocolate chip cookies are an hour tops. so you make $20 there. Sugar cookies should take about 2 hours. color flow is much cheaper than fondant and gives the smooth shiny finish but more time. Unfortunately because she wants it all done for 150 you have to make them cheaper. You will have the fondant from the cap and scroll so you can subtract the fondant from that $25 with shipping. Cake two flavors plus frosting supplies $20. You make 65 or more depending on supplies she Hope this helps and you can follow my rambling.

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 16 May 2007 , 4:19pm
post #36 of 47

A 7x13 cake will not feed 60 people. You'll need a double layer 11x15 sheet cake. I would charge $2.00 per serving ($120.00) for the cake and for the decorated cookies $3 per cookie and $1 per chocolate chip cookie.
Jacqui

imartsy Posted 16 May 2007 , 4:40pm
post #37 of 47

Wow thank you!

ladyonzlake, I just figured that out - that it wouldn't be 60 servings. It seems I'm going to have to make 4 cakes - two choc, two vanilla to = the two -two-layer sheetcakes. I was looking at the Wilton chart and for some reason didn't think the sheetcake serving sizes were going by double layers.... b/c I usually only see single layer sheetcakes....

ugh and then I think I'll have to make another cake recipe for the grad. cap.

schildwaster, your post was great - but what does this sentence mean: "will have the fondant from the cap and scroll so you can subtract the fondant from that $25 with shipping."

Can you clarify that? Thanks!

ladyonzlake Posted 16 May 2007 , 4:45pm
post #38 of 47

I am also making a grad cake with the cap. What I am going to do with the cap is use candy melts instead of cake. I'm probably going to use my wonder mold pan and for the top part of the cap use a square pan. You could use fondant too.
Jacqui

imartsy Posted 16 May 2007 , 4:58pm
post #39 of 47

ladyonzlake,

What a great idea! Using candy melts as the top! Maybe I should try that! I was still going to use the half sports ball part for the bottom part - but maybe a candy melt cap would be easier! Good idea!

ladyonzlake Posted 16 May 2007 , 5:01pm
post #40 of 47

Oh, actually using 1/2 of the sports ball pan would also work for the bottom of the cap. I have one and hadn't thought of that.
Jacqui

ladyonzlake Posted 16 May 2007 , 5:02pm
post #41 of 47

You could just coat the 1/2 ball pan with the candy melts.
Jacqui

schildwaster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
schildwaster Posted 16 May 2007 , 11:13pm
post #42 of 47

I was thinking the cap and scroll were made of fondant. now i seem to remember seeing somewhere that it was wafer paper or something for the scroll. I thought i read that you wanted to use fondant to cover the cookies. I was thinking that if you were going to buy satin ice, wouldn't it be about $25 or so? what a good idea to use candy melts for the cap. i have a few graduation cakes and was thinking of doing something like this too. guess this is what i get for thinking icon_biggrin.gif

imartsy Posted 17 May 2007 , 12:09am
post #43 of 47

schildwaster, OH! Now I get it - $25 for the Satin Ice. Actually I have some Satin Ice on hand I think.... and I think I have some other fondant that I can't recall the name of at this moment! Of course, I'd charge for it - just wasn't thinking about ordering it so I didn't fully understand you. Thanks for clarifying! And thanks for your pricing tips!

imartsy Posted 17 May 2007 , 3:15am
post #44 of 47

Okay so this is what I was thinking of sending to my customer:

1 Double Layer cake size 14 x 22, half chocolate, half vanilla, buttercream frosting, buttercream filling, that says "Congratulations Ben, Class of 2007"
- will feed 56
1 Graduation Cap cake & fondant covered mortar & tassel
- will feed 6 (sits on top of cake)
1 fondant Scroll decoration
1 THS letter decoration - either fondant or chocolate depending on weather
Total Cake Servings = 62 servings
Total Cake cost = $90, or $1.45 per serving

35 Chocolate Chip cookies, round
= $30.00, or $0.85 per cookie
35 Shamrock shaped, decorated w/ fondant & icing, sugar cookies that say "Go Ben"
= $50, or $1.45 per cookie
Total Cookies = 70 cookies
Total Cookie Cost = $80

Total order cost = $170.00

What do you all think? I haven't even discussed delivery/pickup, but I don't think they're too far away - so I think I may "throw delivery in for free" if she needs it. I also told her I could make the choc. chip cookies shamrock shaped, if she preferred, but I wouldn't recommend putting fondant icing on them b/c I think it would make them too sweet.

imartsy Posted 17 May 2007 , 11:29am
post #45 of 47

So does that sounds okay?

JavaJunkieChrissy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JavaJunkieChrissy Posted 17 May 2007 , 1:07pm
post #46 of 47

thumbs_up.gif First the cake is wonderfully done!

And in the words of Bob Barker......"the price is RIGHT'!!

I won't go on to tell you to spay and neuter your pets....... icon_lol.gif

imartsy Posted 17 May 2007 , 2:02pm
post #47 of 47

Oops let me clarify again - I did NOT make the cake in the pics. That was made by CJF - I'm using it for inspiration and uploaded it to help w/ pricing questions.

Sorry if anyone thought it was me! I'll upload mine later!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%