First Time Cookie Order! Lots Of Questions

Baking By imartsy Updated 17 May 2007 , 2:02pm by imartsy

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 14 May 2007 , 5:16pm
post #1 of 47

So I need to make cookies. I've posted a question about the cake & cookies before but now I'm calling out to the cookie "pros". I've been asked to make chocolate chip & sugar cookies. I was going to try the Food Network's chocolate chip cookie recipe (the chewey one from Alton Brown) and I think I'm going to try Penny's recipe - which I'm hoping ends up tasting like sugar cookie.

My questions:
1) How early should I start baking
2) Can I freeze the chocolate chip cookies? And can I freeze after they are baked to "preserve" the flavor so that I can bake ahead? Same thing with Penny's cookies.....

Other questions:

The woman asked for: I'd like a combination of chocolate chip and sugar cookies in the shape of shamrocks with white fondant icing and green piping as trim that say "Go, Ben"?

1) hmm white fondant icing on a shamrock shaped cookie - wouldn't that be weird?

2) what kind of frosting should I "pipe" as trim? I suggested putting fondant on the cookies b/c she was worried about kids grabbing cookies & getting icing all over their hands & everything else. But as far as piping? Doesn't that defeat the purpose? And if I did letters, should I do fondant letters? Or just write w/ an edible ink marker "Go Ben"? (btw - I haven't decided if I'll do MMF or satin ice - I like Satin Ice better but I think MMF is cheaper - I love rolled buttercream's taste, but it makes the cookies look kinda greasy)

3) I'm still trying to figure out what I should charge and how many i should make. She kinda asked for "a couple of Trays". a) I don't have trays and the dollar store's trays were all girly - this is a boy's graduation b) how the heck many is that? I figured I'd make one batch of choc. chip (30) and one batch of sugar cookies using Penny's recipe - I think that makes 36 - so that would = 66 cookies.... she's having 60 people. But I'm making a cake too - so is that an appropriate amount of cookies?

4) final question - I have no clue what to charge. I'm still trying to figure out what to charge her on the cake - and I'm taking too long. Any help for charging for the cookies? I was thinking $1.50 per slice of the cake for 60 people so that's $90 (plus boards & other incidentals) - her budget is $150 - $200. So maybe $1.00 per cookie? Or should I be charging more? Or less?? HELP!

46 replies
maladymay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maladymay Posted 14 May 2007 , 8:13pm
post #2 of 47

I can only help with the sugar cookies... Sorry! (Can't make a freeking chocolate chip cookie to save my life! icon_lol.gif )

Sugar cookies for sure can be frozen - You can do it one of two ways. You can either roll them and cut them out and freeze them right then, and then when you're ready to bake just take 'em out and bake, OR, you can bake them and then freeze them. Either way, just make sure that you freeze in an airtight container. I wouldn't do any kind of decorating before freezing, though, but I've never tried it. (I'm a wuss! icon_redface.gif I dont want to decorate them and freeze them and then they get wrecked for some reason!)
As for the decorating... Shamrock cookie w/ white fondant? Is there some kind of theme or something, or is that just what she wants? (I mean, I guess it wouldn't matter if she wanted it to be decorated like a pickle with a party hat so long as she's paying for 'em, but definately an interesting choice!)
For the trim, definately royal. It dries hard so it can be stacked and not get all grubby when kids eat them. Remember that will take a day or so to dry, though. I would pipe the letters to match the trim, too, rather than pen or fondant... It'll kind of tie it all together.
Try and get an exact number out of her for ordering purposes. It will make your life MUCH easier. Theres nothing I hate more than when someone places an order and then says "Well, do whatever you want!" or "Oh, maybe just a couple dozen. I don't know!" I mean, Hey, thanks for being so confident in me that I can just make whatever the heck I want and you're going to pay for it, but PLEASE give me an idea of what you need! What if a "tray" to her meant 50 cookies and you only made 30? Then you've dissapointed her. Or the other way around? Then you made too many! Get back in touch with her and be firm and tell her you need to know how many cookies to make. EXACTLY.
Uhm... What else... Oh - Charging... Like I said, I dont make chocolate chip cookies, so I have no ide there! But for the sugar cookies - It sounds like a fairly simple cookie, and won't be nearly as expensive if you use the MMF. I would say maybe $1.50/each.
Good luck!!! HTH!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

imartsy Posted 14 May 2007 , 8:34pm
post #3 of 47

Thanks for your tips!

To answer the one question - oops forgot to add that detail! The shamrocks are the mascot of the school (nope I don't get it either - how scary is it to go up against any team called the "shamrocks" - by the way - they also just shorten it to "rocks" - which is really funny when it comes to the swim team - rocks sink - ha ha!)

Anywho, I guess I didn't really want to make royal icing.... I dunno why.... I just don't like making royal for some reason - especially if I'm already making regular buttercream. And my handwriting isn't so ideal.... but I can always try. Thanks for your help! I appreciate it.

Now anyone on the chocolate chip cookies?

imartsy Posted 15 May 2007 , 1:08am
post #4 of 47

anyone on choc. chip cookies?

thecupcakemom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecupcakemom Posted 15 May 2007 , 1:26am
post #5 of 47

You can freeze any chocolate chip cookie as long as it is in an airtight container. You would charge the same amount for the cchip as the sugar as you are decorating both. Fondant and royal icing are the way to go. If you aren't comfortable w/ your handwriting then find a stencil to use and pipe over the indentation w/ RI. Otherwise, use the food marker. It will be too time consuming to use fondant for the writing and not profitabale. You need to clarify w/ your client how many cookies she is looking for. Just like a cake...go by servings.

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 15 May 2007 , 1:44am
post #6 of 47

It's better to freeze the dough than to freeze them after they are baked (for either cookie). I'd roll out the sugar cookies, cut them, place them on parchment lined tray, wrap and freeze. For the chocolate chip, scoop out the dough into balls, line them up on a tray, wrap in saran and freeze.

EricaT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EricaT Posted 15 May 2007 , 1:46am
post #7 of 47

i always make all my dough and freeze it ahead of time. and a trick =if you dont want to freeze the cookies..to keep them soft make them a couple days ahead of time and put them in large ziplocs and stick a couple slices of white bread in the bag, the cookies will absorb the moisture from the bread

post #8 of 47

i always make all my dough and freeze it ahead of time. and a trick =if you dont want to freeze the cookies..to keep them soft make them a couple days ahead of time and put them in large ziplocs and stick a couple slices of white bread in the bag, the cookies will absorb the moisture from the bread

post #9 of 47

post #10 of 47

vrmcc1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vrmcc1 Posted 15 May 2007 , 2:02am
post #11 of 47

When I bake cookies for Christmas I usually start in October, bake and put in ziplock bags then put the bags is a box to keep from crushing them. I like to use the box the hugs juice comes in. They still taste fresh at Christmas time. Honestly had a few dozen left from Christmas and just took them out last week and they still tasted great (been frozen over 6mo). Did not like Alton browns recipe for Choc. Chip. I decorate my Sugar cookies with RI and layer them in a box when dry with parchment between. Wrap box in plastic wrap and freeze, never had a problem.

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 15 May 2007 , 2:05am
post #12 of 47

I freeze chocolate chip cookie dough all the time. That way I can take a few out, pop them in the oven and have fresh baked cookies whenever.

I freeze my baked and decorated sugar cookes all of the time too. I use royal icing to frost them.

I charge $3 per decorated cookie.

Jacqui

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 15 May 2007 , 2:07am
post #13 of 47

Oh, if you freeze your chocolate chip cookie dough, what I do is use a small ice cream scoop and scoop them onto a cookie sheet. Freeze them for a few hours and once frozen I pop them into a zip lock bag. This way the dough won't freeze in one big clump.
Jacqui

imartsy Posted 15 May 2007 , 2:19am
post #14 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrmcc1

WDid not like Alton browns recipe for Choc. Chip.

Which one did you try? the puffy, the chewy, or the thin? What was wrong with them? I haven't tried them before.....

vrmcc1 Posted 15 May 2007 , 4:26am
post #15 of 47

Tried the puff and the chewy didn't like either not really sure why, just picky I guess. Have been searching for the best recipe as I am soon opening a home bakery. This is the recipe I like the best.

3/4 c crisco
1 1/4 c. packed br. sugar
2 Tbls. milk
1 Tbls. vanilla
1 egg
1 3/4c all purpose flour
1 tsp. salt (I never use salt but it is up to you)
3/4 tsp. baking soda
1 c. choc chips
1 cup chopped nut, optional (if not using add 1/2 cup more choc. chips)

Cream together crisco, sugar, milk and vanilla. Beat in egg. Add dry ing. mixing until blended. Stir in nuts and chips.

Drop onto ungreased (i use parchment) cookies sheets.
Recipe says bake at 375 but I only bake at 325 8-10 min for chewy (they will look light and moist- don't overbake) or 11-13 for crisp. Make about 3 doz.

Val

neni Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neni Posted 15 May 2007 , 8:02am
post #16 of 47

I can not make a chocolate chip cookie to save my life, they never turn out right. Sugar cookies I make all the time, I usually cut them out and freeze them, then a few days before I need them I thaw them out and bake. But now I see that I can throw them into the oven frozen, I learn something new everyday on here!
Now I have a question for all you cookie experts, I am making graduation cookies (caps) but I am going to need them in black. If I ice them in black royal icing and freeze them will the color change? or should I just freeze, bake, then decorate? Thank you for the help I have already gotten, and thank you to imartsy for posting this question.

Erica

vrmcc1 Posted 15 May 2007 , 11:06am
post #17 of 47

I did black cats for halloween, baked iced then frozen and the coloer did not change in the freezer.

val

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 15 May 2007 , 11:51am
post #18 of 47

imartsy, if you hate to make royal icing (so do I), another alternative is to buy the Wilton icing writers. I saw them at the store recently, and have never tried them, but the package says it dries for stacking. Just a thought. They come in tubes in a variety of colors.

imartsy Posted 15 May 2007 , 2:07pm
post #19 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeminiRJ

imartsy, if you hate to make royal icing (so do I), another alternative is to buy the Wilton icing writers. I saw them at the store recently, and have never tried them, but the package says it dries for stacking. Just a thought. They come in tubes in a variety of colors.

Ooh good idea. Has anyone else tried the Food Network choc. chip cookie recipes? I'm not really sure about Crisco in my cookies...... not my favorite idea......

JavaJunkieChrissy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JavaJunkieChrissy Posted 15 May 2007 , 3:45pm
post #20 of 47

I have been the recipient of SO much help that I'll share a recipe that I've been using for years. They are not a cruncy crisp cookie......softer but I definately think they will do the job for you.

This is NOT my recipe. Years ago my DH bought me a Pillsbury Bakeoff book that contains all of the prize winning recipes and more!!

Chocolate Chip Cookies MAKES 6 DOZEN

1 1/4 cups sugar
1 1/4 cups firmly packed brown sugar
1 1/2 cups of butter ( I only use unsalted butter)
2 teaspoons vanilla
3 eggs
4 1/4 cups flour
2 teasponns baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
24 oz. ( usually 2 bags) of semi- sweet chips

Heat oven to 375 degress. I use parchement paper on my sheets and I also use a cookie scoop ( looks like a mini ice cream scooper)

In a large bowl, beat sugar, brown sugar, and butter until light and fluffy. Add vanilla and eggs, blend well. Add flour, baking soda and salt, mix well. Stir in the chocolate chips ( if you want to this is when you can freeze the dough. Wrap it tightly and freeze for up to 2 months. To bake it thaw at room temp for 1-2 hours. Then bake as directed) Drop the dough by rounded tablespoonsful 2 inches apart onto cookie sheets

Bake at 375 degrees for 8-10 minutes or until light golden brown.

I hope that you enjoy this recipe. It's the only one that I've used for probably 20 years. My family loves it.....I have never tryed freezing the dough....when I make it...I bake it icon_biggrin.gif

vrmcc1 Posted 15 May 2007 , 4:16pm
post #21 of 47

I insist on using only good butter in all of my cookies recipies execpt this recipe for choc chip They are still yummy
Val

imartsy Posted 15 May 2007 , 6:35pm
post #22 of 47

JavaJunkieChrissy,

Thanks! So those are a softer, chewy cookie? That's what I'm looking for - that's what I prefer at least. Thanks for sharing the recipe! I usally just use the one on the bag of the bag of Ghiradelli choc. chips - but the last time they didn't come out so great (I think I let the butter soften too much & used room temp. eggs - later found out that's not right!)

And vrmcc1, thank you for your recipe as well! Maybe I'll do my own choc. chip cookie bake-off! LOL -well maybe not right now but maybe later! icon_smile.gif

vrmcc1 Posted 16 May 2007 , 12:22am
post #23 of 47

Ok. My girls haven't done chores in two weeks..... so I figured bribe them with cookies. JavaJunkieChrissy tried your recipe, think I'm switching to yours they are better. Oh, and the bribe worked I know have clean bathrooms!! icon_lol.gif
Thanks Val

imartsy Posted 16 May 2007 , 12:39am
post #24 of 47

vrmcc1, you think that'll work with my husband?? icon_lol.gif

vrmcc1 Posted 16 May 2007 , 1:02am
post #25 of 47

I was thinking if i made some pb cookies i might get the floors scrubbed icon_evil.gif

JavaJunkieChrissy Posted 16 May 2007 , 2:02am
post #26 of 47

I have a killer PB recipe too.....That's where I started out baking was with cookies. I love to bake and have baked all sorts of things. I use to do all of our family bread by hand (no bread machine) for seven of us...but as the boys got bigger so did their eating habits and now with everything else I do I cant keep up. I still do bread just not all of the bread that we eat. I like doing rye and braided Challah. And the smell that it leaves in the house....Amazing!!

I'll give you my PB Cookie recipe. It's so basic and sometimes the best things are basic!

This is NOT my recipe. I've had this since my start in baking. I use to send these to my DH when we were dating...he was in the Marines! This recipe is from an old Better Homes cookbook

1/2 cup butter ( please, use the butter)
1/2 cup peanut butter
1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
sugar (set aside)

In a mixing bowl beat butter and peanut butter with an electirc mixer on med-high for 30 seconds. Add 1/2 cup of the flour, the sugars, egg, baking soda, baking powder, and vanilla. Beat till combined. Beat in the remaining flour. If necessary, cover and chill dough until it's easy to handle.
Shape dough into 1-inch balls and roll them in the sugar that you set aside. Place 2 inches apart on a cookie sheet lined with parchment. Flatten by crisscrossing with the tines of a fork. Bake in a 375 degree over for 7-9 minutes ot till the bottoms are golden brown. Cool on a cookie rack

This makes about 3 dozen cookies and they really are good. If you really want to put them over the top you can add some peanut butter chips to the dough and also some coarse chopped peanuts. Another thing that I do is I make a glaze using dark brown sugar and some honey. I add the glaze after the cookies are cool and before the glaze is dry I add some peanuts to the tops of the cookies!! That's really good! Sorry, I don't have measurements for the glaze....give them your best guess.

thumbs_up.gif

vrmcc1 Posted 16 May 2007 , 2:59am
post #27 of 47

Just finished my pb ones I use the recipe on the jiff jar but always looking for better recipies will try this one as soon as they are gone. Agree butter is the only way too go. I've tried bread a few times (by hand) but it never turns out right icon_cry.gif

Thanks soooo much for you recipe can't wait to try it pb are my fav.

Val

imartsy Posted 16 May 2007 , 11:52am
post #28 of 47

AUGH!!!!! icon_cry.gif I sent this woman another e-mail asking her how many cookies she wants exactly - her response? How many can I get for $150? And I'm sure that includes the cake! How the heck do I know??? icon_cry.gif The cakes has to feed 60 and will be a sheetcake w/ a graduation cap on top - I was going to try to do one 7 x 13 in choc. & one in vanilla - prob. just one layer each..... but ugh! this is tough! I need to get her a final quote - maybe I should just say "$150" for the cake and 30 of each cookie??? 30 choc. chip, 30 sugar decorated w/ fondant?

JavaJunkieChrissy Posted 16 May 2007 , 1:15pm
post #29 of 47

What type of cake are you making? I know some people charge per slice and then other double and even triple the cost of the ingredients to arive at the selling price.

I know I've read on here that alot of the cookie ladies charge a per inch charge! Then of course you have to factor in the cost of the pot that you put them in etc....

imartsy Posted 16 May 2007 , 2:06pm
post #30 of 47

I'm going to try to go to the dollar store again and see if I can find a "Platter" to put them on - the ones I found were so girlie - but they may have to do. Maybe I can get some tissue paper to kinda cover 'em up. For the cake, I'm going to do something similar to this picture - but I was going to do two 7 x 13 to make enough servings & to get one choc & one vanilla - which I figured should please all of the guests (boring flavors, I know, but they're also safe flavors - pretty much guarantee everyone should like one of those two flavors).

So what do you think?
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%