Do You Ever Use White Frosting With Chocolate Cake?

Baking By APCakes Updated 13 Jun 2006 , 12:56am by bush1

APCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
APCakes Posted 12 Jun 2006 , 11:09pm
post #1 of 9

This is probably a dumb question, but I need to use a white frosting with a chocolate cake, and whenever I've tried it with regular buttercream it never quite tastes right to me. Any advice? Should I use white cream cheese frosting or white chocolate frosting instead of the regular vanilla buttercream? I have to have white icing because the fondant over it will be white, and I'm pretty sure chocolate icing would show through.

THANKS!

8 replies
edencakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
edencakes Posted 12 Jun 2006 , 11:14pm
post #2 of 9

I use white icing on chocolate cake all the time! (mostly for wedding cakes)

I sometimes add white chocolate, but I usually just use some almond flavoring. I think the almond goes really well with the chocolate.

aupekkle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aupekkle Posted 12 Jun 2006 , 11:17pm
post #3 of 9

I've used chocolate icing underneath white fondant before. You just have to roll out the fondant thicker so the chocolate won't show through.

rhondie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rhondie Posted 12 Jun 2006 , 11:17pm
post #4 of 9

I prefer "white" buttercream icing to chocolate buttercream icing on my chocolate cakes. So no worries there(if it were me eating the cake.)As for the fondant showing through if you mix colors... I don't know. -rhondie

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 12 Jun 2006 , 11:22pm
post #5 of 9

White frosting on chocolate cake seems to be a Southern tradition. I have a few clients who never order anything except that, and I always use my regular white buttercream (vanilla/butter/almond flavoring blend) with it.

My mother always made a cooked frosting for hers, very white and glossy. I think it was called "7 minute icing" because it cooked for 7 minutes. It always made me think of divinity candy. Not sure though. She passed away long ago and I don't have her recipe.

Even though it would not necessarilly work for your needs right now, I found a recipe that seems similar to hers, if you are interested:

http://www.mealsforyou.com/cgi-bin/recipe?id.7406

APCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
APCakes Posted 13 Jun 2006 , 12:25am
post #6 of 9

Thanks to everyone who responded! Glad to know that other people use white frosting on chocolate cake. Maybe my problem is the chocolate cake! I haven't yet found a really good chocolate cake that tastes good with my buttercream (I use half crisco, half buttercream with vanilla, butter and almond flavors). Maybe I need to try that Hi-ratio shortening! But I don't know where to find it. Maybe I'll try making bc with some more almond flavoring. Thanks again!

debsuewoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debsuewoo Posted 13 Jun 2006 , 12:41am
post #7 of 9

I prefer the white frosting to the chocolate frosting on chocolate cakes myself. You probably want to smack me for saying this, but in this case there is too much chocolate! However, I don't like the almond flavoring so I actually use either the clear vanilla or butter flavorings.

Lenette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenette Posted 13 Jun 2006 , 12:55am
post #8 of 9

Hi-ratio shortening is awesome!! I am so glad I tried and wouldn't change back for anything. It gives the frosting a smoother mouth feel and eliminates the greasiness. Many of the cake supply shops have it, even online. Try any food service (restaurant) supply type of places. If they don't have maybe they can order it. I also use white bc on choc cake regularly. I want to try that 7 MInuet Frosting, I've heard a lot about it.

bush1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bush1 Posted 13 Jun 2006 , 12:56am
post #9 of 9

Have you tried Collette Peter's chocolate cake recipe. It tastes great and is very moist. It is the only chocolate cake that I've eaten where it tastes good without frosting. PM me if you'd like the recipe.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%