Rhonda's Ultimate Mmf...

Decorating By FromScratch Updated 20 Apr 2013 , 3:07am by nanapam4

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 30 May 2007 , 2:30am
post #31 of 42

Wouldn't cornstarch add a weird flavor to the fondant, let alone dry it out?

kissmycookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kissmycookie Posted 30 May 2007 , 2:49am
post #32 of 42

bob we make all of our fondant and use a mix of half powdered sugar to half cornstarch but for chocolate we tend to try to use only crisco on the mat. Getting cornstarch off the MMF isn't easy particularly if you want the darker color.

We use the exact recipe as Rhonda's but without the lemon juice and no cocoa powder but 3 ounces of melted chocolate instead. We also knead ours in the mixer, then double-wrap it and let it rest 12 to 24 hours. The resting seems more important for the chocolate also, just takes longer. The flavor just using baker's chocolate is outstanding.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 30 May 2007 , 2:53am
post #33 of 42

Huh! I never would have thought to make the fondant that way. I use only the powdered sugar (no cornstarch) and roll out on a crisco smeared mat. I have a cornstarch "poofy" for blotting the fondant as I'm using it in case it needs some drying, but other than that I stick with the powdered sugar.

oneprimalscream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oneprimalscream Posted 31 May 2007 , 5:55am
post #34 of 42

I made Rhonda's Ultimate MMF for the first time this last weekend...and I thought it was great!

I used it on three cakes so far, and everyone said they were delicious. And I must say, from the two that I tried...I agree icon_smile.gif

Thanks for a great recipe, Rhonda.

rcs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rcs Posted 31 May 2007 , 6:23am
post #35 of 42

I recently covered a cake using Rhonda's Ultimate Chocolate MMF and didn't have any problems. It wasn't hard to work with and tasted OK. I completely covered an 8" round double layer with alot of MMF left over!

oneprimalscream Posted 31 May 2007 , 6:39am
post #36 of 42

I forgot to mention above...

I added quite a bit more powdered sugar to the batch, as well as more while kneading it.

I covered 1 9-inch cake, and two 6-inch cakes with it, and I still have extra left over to cover another cake. And I also took out some for decorations. It was very pliable, and tasted good.

Also, I took one cake in and out of the fridge about 6 times. At first it was really shiny, but after a few minutes, turned completely normal and you never would have guessed it once had moisture collected on it from the fridge. (I never put fondant in the fridge, so this was a nice surprise for me.)

AngiesIdea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngiesIdea Posted 31 May 2007 , 6:54am
post #37 of 42

Much respect to Rhonda's MMF, but I have yet to taste a fondat that I like. It's surely better than Wiltons. Can anyone offer any tips for adjusting the sweetness. I don't like anything thats too sweet! Again, Rhonda's is the best that I have, but I'm always looking to make things better. I hope that I don't get beat up for saying so! icon_wink.gif

Angie

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 31 May 2007 , 10:22pm
post #38 of 42

Hi everyone, I'm thrilled to try this recipe out but wanted to know first - do any of you use it for modeling figures and what should I expect? I see the words "soft" and "pliable" used and worry that figures may end up being hard to model (i.e. will they hold their shape?) Or is it just a matter of adding in gumtex to a portion of the fondant and reserving that part for figures?

I know people don't usually eat the figures anyway! But it's surely easier to make them using the same batch of fondant. Plus you never know - I made a little beer keg out of fondant last weekend, and the men at the party were fighting over who got to eat it. LOL!

oneprimalscream Posted 3 Jun 2007 , 5:53pm
post #39 of 42

I haven't used it for any modeling, but I did make a blend of two-thirds fondant, and one-third gumpaste, and used it for flowers. It worked out wonderful.

surfgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
surfgirl Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 11:52pm
post #40 of 42

I have to say I just finished making Rhonda's recipe and when I took a pinch of it for taste I was surprise on how subtle the flavor was compared to regular MMF, it tasted absolutely delicious and I'm not very fond of fondant either. I still have to see how it works for me when I put it on the cake but so far, incredible taste. I didn't have lemon extract so I used orange and it turned out fine. thumbs_up.gif

SugarMoonCakeCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarMoonCakeCo Posted 11 Jun 2007 , 8:10pm
post #41 of 42

since we were wondering how much RUMMF covered i went ahead and PM'd Rhonda herself...here's here answer, hope it helps!

i'm about to make my first batch...wish me luck!

Quote:
Quote:

To: clevercakelady
Posted:Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:01 am
Subject: ultimate MMF
Well, I would guess one batch will cover a 6inch and an 8inch (double layer) cake. I just covered a 5 teir wedding cake with 4 batches. Hope this helps!

nanapam4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanapam4 Posted 20 Apr 2013 , 3:07am
post #42 of 42

How long can you store and how do you store the fondant.  I need to make a dinosaur cake from the wilton 2013 book/pattern for may 4.  I'd like to get a head start since it's a big cake.  Thanks in advance, this recipe sounds incredible and easy!  I like that you can color it and then add darker tones later!  Pam

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%