Rhonda's Ultimate Mmf...

Decorating By FromScratch Updated 20 Apr 2013 , 3:07am by nanapam4

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 14 May 2007 , 2:43pm
post #1 of 42

I made some last night for a cake for my a woman at my DH's office and it was the first fondant I ever said.. "mmmm.. I could actually eat this on a cake" after I tasted it. I didn't have the princess flavoring so I used the lemon extract and it was really good.

I have to practice applying it to cakes more.. I am okay with the fondant.. I get a lot of air bubbles in it though.. it was soft, but I only had time to let it sit for an hour or so before using it.. I had to bake and decorate a cake in a few hours time (NOT a fun experience and I hope that it came out okay).. it wasn't a paid cake though so I am not too worried about it. It was much easier to work with this morning when I made the cut out stars to put on it so I think all of my issues were from using it too soon.

Anyway.. after this long, rambly, semi-venting post.. LOL.. I give this recipe a BIG thumbs_up.gif . It's the best tasting fondant I have tried. I made plain old MMF and I didn't like it like I thought I would.. but this stuff is great.. even my DH liked it.

41 replies
stephivey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephivey Posted 14 May 2007 , 2:51pm
post #2 of 42

I totally agree! Her ultimate chocolate fondant is equally delicious. I have always thought MMF was too sickly sweet, and I love marshmallows, but these recipes make it just right.

sweetideas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetideas Posted 14 May 2007 , 2:52pm
post #3 of 42

where is the recipe that you have? I would like to try it.

gateaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gateaux Posted 14 May 2007 , 2:58pm
post #4 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetideas

where is the recipe that you have? I would like to try it.

here are the 2 recipes:

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-3193-Rhondas-Ultimate-Chocolate-MMF.html

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-3183-Rhondas-Ultimate-MMF.html

I have only tried the plain recipe so far and I loved it. Even my DH liked it so it's really good! He is quite picky about cakes and my best critic, if he does not like it, I do something else, I don't mess around. icon_wink.gif

Good Luck. thumbs_up.gif

Katskakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katskakes Posted 14 May 2007 , 2:58pm
post #5 of 42

recipe please?! thanks!

DFND Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DFND Posted 14 May 2007 , 3:00pm
post #6 of 42

After making it, do you leave it in an air tight container until you use it? when do you add food coloring?

oneabecakemakr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oneabecakemakr Posted 14 May 2007 , 3:05pm
post #7 of 42

Quick question - did you roll out your MMF in cornstarch and if so, how do you remove the cornstarch from the MMF once you have placed it on the cake - I tried dusting it off with a small paintbrush but some areas still had the cornstarch showing. Thanks much.

rajinaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rajinaren Posted 14 May 2007 , 3:08pm
post #8 of 42

i have never done MMF....But want to do it. I just bought marsmallows this week....so i will try this fondant. Any other tips while making it?

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 14 May 2007 , 3:15pm
post #9 of 42

Thanks, I've been wanting to make MMF to use on cookies. This will be a first for me. I've never liked fondant but decided I'd give the MMF a try.

lynda-bob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lynda-bob Posted 14 May 2007 , 3:20pm
post #10 of 42

I just tried this recipe, too, for the first time. I had posted something about it last week. My kids and I were jumping for joy when we tasted it. I will never use anything else, ever again! thumbs_up.gif I used it for Mother's day (made my mom a Siamese cat icon_lol.gif ). I had read something Wendgoer had posted about rolling it out w/ shortening. It's wonderful. No sticking, no dust and it prevented the fondant from cracking! Thanks for that tip, Wendgoer, wherever you are! thumbs_up.gif I only had to color the pink and just added the paste color; it was fine. The rest of the color on my cake is painted on. I have to experiment w/ MMF more; I read somewhere on CC that for lots of color it should be added in after melting the marshmallows. I haven't tried it yet, though...

DFND Posted 14 May 2007 , 3:23pm
post #11 of 42

Do you spead the crisco all over the MMF before you roll it out, and it doesn't stick? How much cake does the MMF cover with one batch?

FromScratch Posted 14 May 2007 , 3:32pm
post #12 of 42

I used shortening to roll it out and had stickig issues, but I am positive that it was due to not letting it rest long enough. I am going to get a large piece of vinyl from WalMart.. I have heard that it doesn't stick to the fondant at all.

As for coloring.. I colored my fondant when I was making it since I was making the whole cake violet. But I also kneaded more color into some of it to make some darker and it was really easy to do. It really is great to work with and cheap to make.

I still want to try SatinIce anf Fondex fondant, but for now this works wonderfully and fits my non-existant budget.. LOL.

stephivey Posted 14 May 2007 , 3:59pm
post #13 of 42

I also use shortening to roll out my fondant, but recently purchased the vinyl from Walmart. I haven't tried it yet though.

I knead my color in after the fact. I did add some while the marshmallows were hot once, I didn't think it made that big a difference.

Someone also asked how many cakes it will cover. I can get a single batch to cover a 10"round with some left over for decorations. I roll mine fairly thick though, a little less than 1/4." I think it's easier to work with that way.

DFND Posted 14 May 2007 , 4:02pm
post #14 of 42

What kind of vinyl from Wal-Mart? What department do you get it at?

alliebear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alliebear Posted 14 May 2007 , 4:09pm
post #15 of 42

i have tried the choc mmf recipe i found it to get quite stiff and it needed alot of tweaking before i could cover a cake with it but the recipe is fab i also love michelle fosters fondant recipe it had soo much stretch

rajinaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rajinaren Posted 14 May 2007 , 4:14pm
post #16 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by alliebear

i have tried the choc mmf recipe i found it to get quite stiff and it needed alot of tweaking before i could cover a cake with it but the recipe is fab i also love michelle fosters fondant recipe it had soo much stretch

what is the recipe? icon_smile.gif

kello Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kello Posted 14 May 2007 , 4:30pm
post #17 of 42

You can get the vinyl in the fabric department. I also went to the dollar store and bought plastic placemats for smaller projects. Vinyl/plastic tablecloths work great too and you can cut them as well.

FromScratch Posted 14 May 2007 , 4:43pm
post #18 of 42

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-3663-27-Michele-Fosters-Delicious-Fondant.html

This is the link for Michelle Foster's Fondant.. I want to try this one too.. LOL.. thsi is the good (and bad) thing about this site.. SO many things to try.

pinkbox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkbox Posted 14 May 2007 , 4:47pm
post #19 of 42

Would anyone be willing to pass the Rhondas Ultimate Chocolate Fondant recipe to me? I tried looking under the recipe page but to no avail. But I did find her MMF. Does this fondant type work well for making accent pieces? ie maybe a baby head and feet?? I'd appreciate ANY feedback. Thx!!!

Tellis12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tellis12 Posted 14 May 2007 , 5:02pm
post #20 of 42

Do you think that using the MMF is a safe thing for a newbie to try? I've only covered one cake in fondant and it was a so/so experience. Is the MMF as easy to use as the Wilton premade?

sweetideas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetideas Posted 14 May 2007 , 5:05pm
post #21 of 42

Thank you!! I will try this one, hopefully it will turn out better than my last attempt to make it!!

FromScratch Posted 14 May 2007 , 5:38pm
post #22 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkbox

Would anyone be willing to pass the Rhondas Ultimate Chocolate Fondant recipe to me? I tried looking under the recipe page but to no avail. But I did find her MMF. Does this fondant type work well for making accent pieces? ie maybe a baby head and feet?? I'd appreciate ANY feedback. Thx!!!

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-3193-Rhondas-Ultimate-Chocolate-MMF.html

This is the chocolate MMF recipe.. I haven't tried it yet.. let me know what you think of it if you do. icon_biggrin.gif

stephivey Posted 14 May 2007 , 7:23pm
post #23 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFND

What kind of vinyl from Wal-Mart? What department do you get it at?

You can find it back in the fabric dept. It is on rolls. I got the heaviest I could find.

stephivey Posted 14 May 2007 , 7:27pm
post #24 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by alliebear

I should have said I didn't add as much cocoa as the recipe called for, I wanted a lighter chocolate brown for my cake. I noticed when I added more cocoa to the fondant for the accents that it was harder to work with.

SusieQ1083 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SusieQ1083 Posted 14 May 2007 , 7:45pm
post #25 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellis12

Do you think that using the MMF is a safe thing for a newbie to try? I've only covered one cake in fondant and it was a so/so experience. Is the MMF as easy to use as the Wilton premade?

I have not decorated many cakes, and only one in MMF. I found it very easy to make! It tasted great and looked wonderful. Although you have to make the MMF from scratch, I would definitely take the time to make my MMF rather than by the Wilton stuff! I don't like the Wilton fondant. It is expensive and tastes horrible! Try it! You might fall in love with it!

KylesMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KylesMom Posted 14 May 2007 , 10:59pm
post #26 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkalman

I used shortening to roll it out and had stickig issues, but I am positive that it was due to not letting it rest long enough. I am going to get a large piece of vinyl from WalMart.. I have heard that it doesn't stick to the fondant at all.

As for coloring.. I colored my fondant when I was making it since I was making the whole cake violet. But I also kneaded more color into some of it to make some darker and it was really easy to do. It really is great to work with and cheap to make.

I still want to try SatinIce anf Fondex fondant, but for now this works wonderfully and fits my non-existant budget.. LOL.

I roll mine out on the shiny side of freezer paper. I just tape a large piece to my counter and it works great! Not to mention that the clean up is as easy and throwing out a piece of paper. thumbs_up.gif

ladij153 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladij153 Posted 14 May 2007 , 11:15pm
post #27 of 42

I adore MMF. before I started using fondant to cover cakes I researched to find the best tasting one and ran across the MMF recipe on 911.com so have been using that and haven't yet tried the pre-made kind. I too thought it was too sweet so I have been putting in about a half teaspoon of citric acid granules and that gives it a little tang to cut the sweetness a bit. You can also add flavors and use the citric acid to taste. I add these with the water when melting the marshmallows.

lynda-bob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lynda-bob Posted 15 May 2007 , 2:56am
post #28 of 42

Good tip, KylesMom! thumbs_up.gif I'm going to start using the freezer paper icon_biggrin.gif

alliebear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alliebear Posted 15 May 2007 , 3:16am
post #29 of 42

i think homemade tastes a bit better then store bought because you can kind of adjust it it to suit your tastes... but to be fair fondant isnt a fav but i love working with it...

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 16 May 2007 , 3:17am
post #30 of 42

I made Rhonda's Ultimate MMF yesterday, let it rest over night and then used it on Penny't Butter Cookies this afternoon. I flavored it with Creme Bouquet and butter flavoring and is it good! I'll be trying it on a small cake soon.

No, I don't think it's too hard for a Newbie to try. After you put in the first few cups of powdered sugar go slow so you don't get it too heavy. I didn't use quite all the 2# bag. I kneaded and colored it on a greased mat and then used cornstarch to roll it out. So some of you say rolling it out on a greased surface is better than the cornstarch?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%