Mmf Question - How Do You Get The White From Cornstarch Off

Decorating By oneabecakemakr Updated 15 May 2007 , 9:36pm by BrandisBaked

oneabecakemakr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oneabecakemakr Posted 14 May 2007 , 2:34pm
post #1 of 11

I made my first MMF cake yesterday (will upload picture later) and I was wondering once you have rolled the MMF in cornstarch to stop it from sticking to your mat and have placed it over your cake - how do you remove the whiteness from the cornstarch off of the fondant? I tried brushing it off with a small paintbrush but the cornstarch was still showing up in some areas. Thanks for your responses.

10 replies
yummymummycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummymummycakes Posted 14 May 2007 , 3:23pm
post #2 of 11

I would have thought it should have come off with brushing.

It sounds like you have used cornstarch on the top of the icing, or else you have put the MMF on 'upside down'

If you read the link (the one with the pictures) for making MMF they dont mention putting cornstarch on top of the MMF when rolling it out.

Maybe you could cover it with some sort of decoration.

Good Luck with it and dont forget to post a picture!!

gismo12002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gismo12002 Posted 14 May 2007 , 3:51pm
post #3 of 11

I brush mine off with DAMP brush. I tried to have a day or to---for the dampness to dry. Works for me.

Dawn2467 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dawn2467 Posted 14 May 2007 , 4:13pm
post #4 of 11

cherylweddingplanner,...cornstarch can get on the top side from the rolling pin, or if you've had to flip or re-roll...especially for folks like me who aren't very experienced...

I've used a viva to gently wipe...I've also used just a touch of crisco...

I'm not a pro, but it's worked for me...

here's a bump

NewbeeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NewbeeBaker Posted 14 May 2007 , 4:41pm
post #5 of 11

I read about taking a ball of fondant and putting a little crisco on it and rubbing it lightly on the cake covered with fondant. But you have to consider when using crisco, you will get a sheen to it. When I roll out my fondant, I use crisco to keep it from sticking, but I don't mind the sheen on it. Jen

Dawn2467 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dawn2467 Posted 14 May 2007 , 6:11pm
post #6 of 11

I like the sheen too, but it will also wipe off with a viva if you don't like it

HTH...bump

olana11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
olana11 Posted 15 May 2007 , 12:05am
post #7 of 11

I've always used a wet brush but as stated you get a glossy look-which I never liked but everyone else seemed to like......I just recently started using a dry brush but I also have some cornstarch residue.......

oneabecakemakr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oneabecakemakr Posted 15 May 2007 , 9:14pm
post #8 of 11

Thanks everyone. The cornstarch did get on it when I flipped the fondant over to roll again. Will try rubbing some crisco on it once I have laid it on the cake. Have another one to try this weekend. Thanks again.

lynda-bob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lynda-bob Posted 15 May 2007 , 9:19pm
post #9 of 11

I read this from a post of Wendoger ( I think I'm spelling that right icon_redface.gif ) to use shortening to roll it out instead of cornstarch. I used it for the first time last weekend and did just that. It worked great. There wasn't really an inordinate amount of sheen once it was placed on the cake and smoothed out. I liked it alot thumbs_up.gif

doescakestoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doescakestoo Posted 15 May 2007 , 9:29pm
post #10 of 11

I was once taught to rub the cake with your palms and that will get rid of the excess powder.

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 15 May 2007 , 9:36pm
post #11 of 11

Airbrush some vodka onto it... the corstarch will dissolve, and the vodka will evaporate.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%