My Nfsc Failed Again!!

Baking By JRAE33 Updated 16 May 2007 , 11:26am by crolfes83

JRAE33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JRAE33 Posted 14 May 2007 , 1:59pm
post #1 of 15

My NFSC failed for the 2nd time in a row! I'm so frustrated! I haven't done anything different...I never had a problem in the past. My NFSC is slightly modified (sub. some of the sugar with brown sugar and different extracts/spices) but it was fine in the past...until now! When I mix the dough it is very moist, and is still quite moist when I take it out of the fridge. In the past it was always dry and I had to work with it a little bit. Past two times it was too moist...first time I rolled out in powdered sugar, this time in flour. When I bake them they are very crumbly, they spread more than they did before, and they are really puffing up. So frustrating!

This time was also my first time using skewers for my bouquets. I usually buy Wilton's lollipop sticks, but had read of so many other's using skewers I thought I'd try....we had drawer full of them anyways. Didn't work so well. Many of them cracked down the middle where the sticks were, of those that made it about half were spinning so they baked away from the stick, and then when the bouquets were made quite a few slid right down the stick. Very dissapointing.

The good thing is they tasted wonderful and were just for my mom and sisters. My kids did the decorating (ages 4 and 5) and they looked cute so all was well as far as that goes. But I need to get this figuired out, I don't want to only do cookies for family!

Thanks for listening to me ramble! Just had to vent...that gave me a tough start to Mother's Day!! Jodie

14 replies
2sdae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2sdae Posted 14 May 2007 , 2:04pm
post #2 of 15

I used a soft cake flour one time and mine were very crumbly and spread, did you perhaps dot hat? Just a random thought though. icon_confused.gif

JRAE33 Posted 14 May 2007 , 9:43pm
post #3 of 15
Quote:
Quote:

I used a soft cake flour one time and mine were very crumbly and spread, did you perhaps dot hat? Just a random thought though.

Nope, not the flour. I actually only buy all purpose, and I had to buy a new bag for this last batch so I used a different bag for each failed batch. Not sure what it is. I did realize today that I've been buying a new brand of margarine. Used to buy WalMart brand, but they increased their price and now I buy Blue Bonnet (the cheapest). Know I used it on the last batch that failed, not sure about about the previous batch. Could that be it?

Jodie

cakemomne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemomne Posted 14 May 2007 , 9:48pm
post #4 of 15

could be the change to Blue Bonnet, sometimes the cheaper margarines (and butters) have a higher amount of water in them.

tricia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tricia Posted 14 May 2007 , 9:54pm
post #5 of 15

I only use Pillsbury all purpose flour and I use Imperial margarine, never have a problem. When I used Gold Metal flour, they spread.

alicegop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alicegop Posted 14 May 2007 , 9:55pm
post #6 of 15

Okay I think I've figured this one out. I have problems with it failing when it isn't cold enough. So cut them out and put the tray in the fridge for a few minutes to firm them up before you cook them.

wesmanfamily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wesmanfamily Posted 14 May 2007 , 9:58pm
post #7 of 15

Blue Bonnet has way to much water. Try gold'n soft. It is also really cheap. Don't get the lite, just the regular. It works great. I have found it to work the closest to real butter. Good Luck!!

2sdae Posted 14 May 2007 , 10:50pm
post #8 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakemomne

could be the change to Blue Bonnet, sometimes the cheaper margarines (and butters) have a higher amount of water in them.

YUP, I've had that happen to icing before, and cake too!

JRAE33 Posted 15 May 2007 , 12:46am
post #9 of 15

Thank you! Sounds like it was the margarine...I'll go back to WalMart brand, only a few cents difference. I've been thinking and thinking, could've sworn I hadn't changed anything...finally downed on me today when I opened the fridge and saw the Blue Bonnet sitting there...glad I finally realized I did do something different and you all were able to confirm that was my problem. I'm glad to have an answer...I really liked NFSC and was ready to give up on them completely! Jodie

Joanne914 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joanne914 Posted 15 May 2007 , 1:21am
post #10 of 15

I agree witth previous poster that uses Imperial Margerine! That's what I use too...mainly because I can get it really cheap at Walmart! lol It has always worked great for me! Good Luck with your next batch and let us know what happens.

Joanne

JRAE33 Posted 15 May 2007 , 2:35pm
post #11 of 15

You are all so great for helping me solve this mystery! I was telling my husband just this morning that the problem was solved. And I went through the whole story about WalMart no longer being cheaper and my buying Blue Bonnet instead...he said, "well I always buy Imperial" I guess I should have let him do the grocery shopping icon_smile.gif Imperial it will be from now on...I used to buy that originally because it was the cheapest, but then WalMart brand was cheapest...I guess I shouldn't worry about the pennies and just stick with what I know works! Thanks again, I am so excited to try my cookies again! Will let you all know how it works! Jodie

2sdae Posted 15 May 2007 , 2:47pm
post #12 of 15

The best butter to use is the one highest in fat....this according to Alton Brown! icon_biggrin.gif
Also he warns to check expiration dates on these as they get over looked by most of us! I know I never even knew butter could go rancid in the package but he says it's not as uncommon as you would think...scary to me. I'd die if I made a cake and icing with rancid butter and didn't even know it!!!! icon_surprised.gif

JRAE33 Posted 15 May 2007 , 5:41pm
post #13 of 15

One more thing...do you think it was the "bad" dough that made my skewers not work? Or should I stick with the lollipop sticks?

Quote:
Quote:

Also he warns to check expiration dates on these as they get over looked by most of us! I know I never even knew butter could go rancid in the package but he says it's not as uncommon as you would think...scary to me. I'd die if I made a cake and icing with rancid butter and didn't even know it!!!!

That's a good point! I usually check my expiration dates on my dairy in the store so I know it will be good for awhile...however, I never check my margarine...not sure why?! I will be sure to do so now!

2sdae Posted 16 May 2007 , 1:01am
post #14 of 15

I use wilton pop sticks for my cookies on a stick and have never had a problem, but who the heck knows till you try, right? icon_biggrin.gif

crolfes83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crolfes83 Posted 16 May 2007 , 11:26am
post #15 of 15

Have you tried real butter?
I always use real butter and I've never had a batch fail. I do cut the baking powder in half when using fondant, and I keep the dough cold.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%