? About Crusting Buttercream

Decorating By magicalmakery Updated 14 May 2007 , 1:53pm by noosie

magicalmakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
magicalmakery Posted 14 May 2007 , 1:43pm
post #1 of 6

hello, i have been having a problem with my crusting buttercream on my stacked cakes. it seems to push out from between the layers.

it pushes out and then bubbles out my buttercream coating and/or my fondant and makes it look sloppy.

here is what i do...

i usually make the crusting buttercream recipe but then for the crumb coating and filling between layers, i water it down a bit b/c it spreads easier. would i be better off keeping it at full strength?

how much icing should i use between layers- i usually try to make about 1/4" or so filling so there is a nice layer of icing between layers. is this too much?

thanks for any advice....

jenny

5 replies
NewbeeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NewbeeBaker Posted 14 May 2007 , 1:51pm
post #2 of 6

If you want the filling to be thinner, pipe a dam with stiff frosting to hold it in. All you do is pipe the stiff frosting around the rim of the top of the layer you will be putting the filling on, about 1/4-1/8 inch from the edge. The spread your filling inside the dam. Otherwise you can just use stiffer icing for the filling too=) Jen

noosie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noosie Posted 14 May 2007 , 1:52pm
post #3 of 6

If you like the thinner consistency for the filling, I would first put a dam using the stiffer bc then spread the thinner one in the center. The dam will prevent the softened bc from oozing out the sides. HTH thumbs_up.gif

berryblondeboys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
berryblondeboys Posted 14 May 2007 , 1:52pm
post #4 of 6

the bulge is from the weight of your cake on top of the filling. I usually don't fill the edges for that very reason. Or, I make a decent filling, put on the other layers, and then I wiggle it/push a bit to work out the extra and then I get rid of that when icing the sides.

For tiered cakes, I make sure that the weight of the cake is on the dowels, not the cake for preventing bulge too.

Melissa

shkepa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shkepa Posted 14 May 2007 , 1:53pm
post #5 of 6

I thik watering it down is your problem - If you need to do this when you first nned to run a stiffer rim of BC around the edge of the layer before putting on the frosting. this will act as a damn and stop it from running out of the cake.
I hope that makes sence.

noosie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noosie Posted 14 May 2007 , 1:53pm
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbeeBaker

If you want the filling to be thinner, pipe a dam with stiff frosting to hold it in. All you do is pipe the stiff frosting around the rim of the top of the layer you will be putting the filling on, about 1/4-1/8 inch from the edge. The spread your filling inside the dam. Otherwise you can just use stiffer icing for the filling too=) Jen

we must have been typing at the very same moment!!!!! Too funny! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%