Is It Safe?

Business By AgentCakeBaker Updated 25 May 2005 , 2:31am by ladiebaker

AgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AgentCakeBaker Posted 17 May 2005 , 4:42pm
post #1 of 16

Has anyone placed an add with community newletters for your cake decorating services? Business is slow for me right now and I want to pick it up a little. I'm not licensed but I though I would place an add in a community newsletter to see if I could stir up a little business.

What do you think? icon_confused.gif

15 replies
Mchelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mchelle Posted 17 May 2005 , 4:54pm
post #2 of 16

Be careful Agent. You can be fined, that is considered advertising and you must be licensed to compete. I usually keep a card with me, my name and number, I let the person write whatever they want to on the card for reference.

The last time checked, the health dept said they don't allow unlicensed kitchens, but they do recognize that there are mom and pop business out there. Those are no problem unless you advertise (newspaper ads, signs, handouts, etc. ), also, you can't give your business a name.

Hope this helps.

AgentCakeBaker Posted 17 May 2005 , 5:00pm
post #3 of 16

Thanks Mchelle

Since your from the metro Atlanta too, how do you get business. Is it by word of mouth?

cakeconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeconfections Posted 17 May 2005 , 6:18pm
post #4 of 16

Have you ever considered finding a kitchen to rent> I was where you where and just this week found a space to rent. I sent out about 80 emails until I found a kitchen. Now I am getting ins, tax ids, and my food handlers cert. for me it was a small investment to do what I really love.

KrazyKross Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrazyKross Posted 17 May 2005 , 7:45pm
post #5 of 16

I was told that the minute you start placing ads, its considered a business and you need a license. I usually go by word of mouth -- when I deliver a cake for a friend or a friend-of-a-friend, I give them a card with my name, number and website for future reference. Then, if they want to share it with others, it is a word-of-mouth thing and not advertising.

littlebubbieschocolates Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlebubbieschocolates Posted 17 May 2005 , 7:54pm
post #6 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mchelle

Be careful Agent. You can be fined, that is considered advertising and you must be licensed to compete. I usually keep a card with me, my name and number, I let the person write whatever they want to on the card for reference.

The last time checked, the health dept said they don't allow unlicensed kitchens, but they do recognize that there are mom and pop business out there. Those are no problem unless you advertise (newspaper ads, signs, handouts, etc. ), also, you can't give your business a name.

Hope this helps.

i guess it depends on what state ur from my business had a name before i ws licensed..also too it shouldnt cost u that much to get one. mine was 35 dollars and the inspection wasnt hard .. unless ur dirty.

AgentCakeBaker Posted 17 May 2005 , 8:49pm
post #7 of 16

littlebuddies

Did you have to have a separate kitchen?

littlebubbieschocolates Posted 18 May 2005 , 12:32am
post #8 of 16

nope i work from home i use my kitchen . u do have to have separate items than ur household. well at least somethings u do

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 18 May 2005 , 1:10am
post #9 of 16

It's good to know all of this! I would love to go into a business for my cakes.. but I'd like to have a small building off of my house to do it in.. I don't want to have it in my home itself... I had thought about getting some of those plastic signs to give my phone number and say I did cakes for all occasions.. I'd better check into this before I do it.. wouldn't want to get into trouble !!

lastingmoments Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lastingmoments Posted 18 May 2005 , 7:15am
post #10 of 16

I started emailing my picturesw to friends and family and let them them see my lastest creations....I didnt do it with the intention of getting jobs just showing off what ive been up too.....

some of them showed their friends and Ive picked up a couple of extra orders(almost $200.00 worth) ......

maybe you could try that.........

littlebubbieschocolates Posted 18 May 2005 , 2:48pm
post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntertayneme

It's good to know all of this! I would love to go into a business for my cakes.. but I'd like to have a small building off of my house to do it in.. I don't want to have it in my home itself... I had thought about getting some of those plastic signs to give my phone number and say I did cakes for all occasions.. I'd better check into this before I do it.. wouldn't want to get into trouble !!

when we buy our house im def having a building or something . i have to much stuff and id like the space.

Calejo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Calejo Posted 18 May 2005 , 2:56pm
post #12 of 16

You could always try teaching a class or two for your community ed. programs. You could teach the basics and then let them know your experience. You may get more business in the form of orders, or in the form of teaching.

Mchelle Posted 18 May 2005 , 3:01pm
post #13 of 16

Agent, I usually keep business card with me and give those out. All of my business is by word of mouth. When business is slow for me I usually bring something into the office or send something with my hubby. That usually gets it going again.

I checked all of this info before I moved from Cobb County and they did require that you have a seperate kitchen and sinks, etc., also, you have to follow the association rules of the housing community, most say no commercial kitchen (it COULD create too much traffic in the area). I also tried finding a kitchen, which turned out to be impossible, I had no luck. Most people find a church that they can use, but it can not interfere with the church's use. I found that it was too much trouble for the amount that I was doing. I works out fine, me baking in my kitchen. When I get more volume and no longer have the space, then I will have to get a seperate space.

AgentCakeBaker Posted 18 May 2005 , 3:47pm
post #14 of 16

Thanks everyone for all the tips and suggestions. I wish I lived in Maine with littlebuddies b/c I would definitely get my license since she doesn't have to have a separate kitchen.

Thanks everyone!

Mchelle Posted 18 May 2005 , 3:50pm
post #15 of 16

me too! I would rather have everything seperate, icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif why does things have to be so difficult.

ladiebaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladiebaker Posted 25 May 2005 , 2:31am
post #16 of 16

I have placed ads in the little classified section "good things to eat, also today I made up and sent in an insert for the newspaper to place in the local paper. The cost of the insert was a total of a nickel each insert.
I am however licensed and am able to advertize freely. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%