I Enhanced My Cake And ... Oh Lord, Help Me...

Decorating By thedessertdiva Updated 3 Nov 2007 , 7:43am by justme50

adawndria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adawndria Posted 25 Aug 2007 , 4:49am
post #91 of 127

I saw a ton of flavors at Wal-Mart today. Way more than usual. Maybe it was because I was at the "Neighborhood Grocery" Wal-Mart in the fancy part of town, but there were a ton of International Delight flavors.

lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 25 Aug 2007 , 5:14pm
post #92 of 127

I agree with Jan in that you should make a trial run before committing to placing the creamer in a large cake order. I haven't personally tried the creamers in my cakes, but adding extra sugar to a cake could make it fall. I've tried cakes that called for extas such as jello & they have always fell. I have, however, tried the creamers in bc and they're delicious. You may want to add a little at a time and taste as you go, b/c some of the flavors can be overwhelming.

CakesOnly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesOnly Posted 25 Aug 2007 , 10:48pm
post #93 of 127

I think this all sounds so great. I would really like to try it. But after reading 95 percent of this thread, and all the other stuff stated here I am a little confused. Do you use the powder or liquid? With the liquid creamer do you replace all or just some of the liquid in the mix. When using it in frosting, how much do you use. I told you I was confused. LOL. icon_confused.gif
I wish that some of you would post a few recipes using the coffee mate. I am not one for experimenting at this early stage of baking and decorating. It would be great to actually have a recipe for cakes and frosting using the coffeemate liquid or powder. icon_confused.gif

darrahmomof3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darrahmomof3 Posted 26 Aug 2007 , 7:26pm
post #94 of 127

Ok. I had to go get me some and try it myself. I just baked one,it is not even cooled yet. It smells wonderful(caramel hazelnut swirl)but,,, it did not rise in the center much. I tried replacing all liquid with creamer. What did I do wrong? luckly it is just for my family here at home. I can't wait to try it even though it looks sad!

JawdroppingCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JawdroppingCakes Posted 26 Aug 2007 , 9:45pm
post #95 of 127

I just made a yellow cake box mix with an extra egg and a box of white chocolate pudding and added the white chocolate raspberry creamer in it....let me just say that it didn't make it to survive the afternoon. We devoured it!

darrahmomof3 Posted 26 Aug 2007 , 9:52pm
post #96 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by geenieyez

I just made a yellow cake box mix with an extra egg and a box of white chocolate pudding and added the white chocolate raspberry creamer in it....let me just say that it didn't make it to survive the afternoon. We devoured it!

Did you substitute all liquid with creamer?? Did it collapse?

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 9:00am
post #97 of 127

Normally I don't eat cake...I just bake them for other people.

...but OMG! After reading this whole thread I want cake right now!

Lord, save me from myself icon_wink.gif

crystalina1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crystalina1977 Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 6:58pm
post #98 of 127

Thanks for all these great ideas and flavor combos. That might make a good thread, what cake/creamer combos people like most. I've seen a few here that sound delicious!

Beckalita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Beckalita Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 7:10pm
post #99 of 127

darrahmomof3, if you read back through the replies....many people were having problems with the cake sinking when they replaced all the liquid with creamer. Try just replacing 1/2 of the liquid with the creamer and that should solve the sinking cake problem. It's fabulous in the icing, too!!

darrahmomof3 Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 9:10pm
post #100 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckalita

darrahmomof3, if you read back through the replies....many people were having problems with the cake sinking when they replaced all the liquid with creamer. Try just replacing 1/2 of the liquid with the creamer and that should solve the sinking cake problem. It's fabulous in the icing, too!!

Thanks! I think I will try making another one maybe tomorrow.

Candy120 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Candy120 Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 9:18pm
post #101 of 127

If the cake sinks and looks bad, can you make cake balls out of it? Would it be too much if you added more creamer to bind it together?

Beckalita Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 9:25pm
post #102 of 127

I would think you could use the sunken cakes for cake balls....as for using more creamer as binder, it would depend upon the flavor used....since some are more potent than others. Back to the kitchen to conduct more experiments!!!!

darrahmomof3 Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 10:33pm
post #103 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckalita

I would think you could use the sunken cakes for cake balls....as for using more creamer as binder, it would depend upon the flavor used....since some are more potent than others. Back to the kitchen to conduct more experiments!!!!

Ok, I confess I have never made cake balls!! Please explain.

Beckalita Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 11:45pm
post #104 of 127

If you scroll down the cake decorating articles on CC's homepage, there's instructions posted by OhMyGoodies on Nov 21,2006. Basically you take crumbled cake scraps, add a binder (buttercream, jam, creamer, liquor, etc.) and mix together until you get a stiff cookie dough consistency. Roll into balls (I use a cookie scoop) and freeze until firm. Melt chocolate or candy melts and dip the frozen cake balls, coating them completely. If you like, you can then fancy them up by rolling them in nuts, coconut, sprinkles, etc. or drizzling them with white chocolate. The possibilities are are endless with all the different cake flavors and whatnot....Give them a try!!!

JoAnna7803 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnna7803 Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 9:54pm
post #105 of 127

I just tried the blueberry cobbler with white cake and cream cheese frosting and it came out pretty good tastewise =] It did sink a little but it REALLY wasn't that bad. I replaced only the water. I think it came out pretty good and I am anxious to try cupcakes icon_smile.gif

QueenB4U Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QueenB4U Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 12:27am
post #106 of 127

That combination sounds wonderful!!

ExtraEvents Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ExtraEvents Posted 13 Sep 2007 , 6:41am
post #107 of 127

So, I am making a cake this weekend, and was considering adding creamer to it when I came upon this subject. Lots of good info, heck, I read through all 8 pages! It seems to me, just from what you all have said... that the ones that added the extra egg did not have a problem with it collapsing.... Just an observation. I think that though it all sounds delicious, I will hold off on the creamer idea till an occasion when I am not making such an important cake, (this ones for my daughters first birthday) that way I don't risk screwing it up!

Sandi4tpc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sandi4tpc Posted 13 Sep 2007 , 10:11am
post #108 of 127

I've done this but I don't replace all of the water in the recipe...just a portion..I think it's less than half of the water, if this helps you.

donnalea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
donnalea Posted 13 Sep 2007 , 3:03pm
post #109 of 127

I can't wait to try some of these combinations out! It's off to Wal-Mart I go

grumpyx07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grumpyx07 Posted 13 Sep 2007 , 7:40pm
post #110 of 127

You all are gonna get me in SO much trouble! LOL!

It's bad enough I don't get anything done around the house, but now I'm gonna try the creamer and I need to stick to Weight Watchers...shame on you!

Muhahahahahaha icon_biggrin.gif

pkec00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pkec00 Posted 15 Sep 2007 , 3:46am
post #111 of 127

*saving*

gailjoe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gailjoe Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 6:32pm
post #112 of 127

hey everyone, this site is wonderful. here is a cake i just made, everyone loved it.
duncan hines spice cake mix, 2/3 cup southern pecan coffee creamer, 2/3 cup water, 1/3 cup oil, 3 eggs, mix as directed on back of cake box. then stir in 3/4 cup chopped pecans and 3/4 cup raisins. bake at 325 for approx. 30 minutes in a 9x13 pan. i then topped with a homemade coconut pecan frosting. there wasn't any problem with the sinking, it baked beautifully. only problem its too good. icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gificon_redface.gif ate too much GOD bless you all, gail

gailjoe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gailjoe Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 6:49pm
post #113 of 127

hey i forgot to add that the cake was moist, does anyone have any ideal on, how to get it denser so it could be made into a tierd cake? thanks gail

fbgirl00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fbgirl00 Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 8:54pm
post #114 of 127

I love love love using coffee creamer in my cakes! So far the Creme Brulee is my favorite. I also put it in my buttercream in place of milk. Here I sit at my desk drooling thinking about it. Can't wait for the holiday flavors, hopefully our small town will have them in stock.

roseygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
roseygirl Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 12:26am
post #115 of 127

I was just trying to decide what to do for my father-in-law's birthday cake when I found this post. I'm so excited for something so easy and new! I started throwing out flavor options to my DH about what his dad would like and he was quickly overwhelmed by all the options! He passed the buck to his mother! *lol* I'll make something yummy!

sweetrat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetrat Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 7:49pm
post #116 of 127

I may have missed another reference to this, but do you have to refrigerate the icing if you replace liquid with the creamer? It's usually so hot here and it's hard to refrigerate cakes depending on what size they are so I've avoided recipes that require refrigeration. I'm figuring the cakes wouldn't have to be because they are cooked. Also, the cake balls would have to be if you use it as the binder, right? I make goody baskets for neighbors during the holidays and wanted to add those (i.e. use up those cake trimmings) but I don't put anything in those that require refrigeration either. I am excited to try these out though!

sweetrat Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 4:27am
post #117 of 127

Well, looks like everyone else has a life on Friday nights! icon_rolleyes.gif Anywho, I tried the cake with part of the water replaced. Here's that I did:

3 Betty Crocker French Vanilla cake mixes
1 1/4 cups CoffeeMate French Vanilla liquid creamer
2 1/2 cups water
1 cup oil
12 eggs

Baked in 12x18 sheet pan with 2 heating cores spaced evenly apart. 325* for about 45-50 minutes (I think, just kept checking till sprung back when touched and passed the toothpick test.) Cooled in pan, then turned out to finish cooling.

Didn't have a moments trouble with it falling. In fact, I trimmed probably 1/2" of crown from the middle. The taste was OMG icon_eek.gif ! My DH was unloading the dishwasher for me. I had a little stickage when I transfered it to the cake board (just that extremely moist top crust) and we ate it to see if we could tell a difference. The flavor was much richer and that cake was so moist you could almost wring it out. Yet, it was dense enough for me to carve it into a baseball jersey then half it and fill it. We can't wait to start playing around with some flavors! He actually told me to level that cake quick so he could eat the trimmings! This and the Melvira smoothing method are taking my cake baking to a whole different level. Thank you so much for this suggestion and to all the people who have been testing and retesting it. This is a total keeper in my book. Now, where did I leave that baggie full of trimmings........

maryindublin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryindublin Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 7:47am
post #118 of 127

Sweetrat, I'm totally jealous that your cake didn't sink! The first time I tried creamer I used WASC with 1 cup of creamer, and it sunk like the Titanic! So I got back on here, read all about how some people are getting to work and others not, and the science lesson and all that jazz. Tried it again and only used 1/3 cup creamer...still sunk! So I gave up and just added some to the BC. Yummm...very sweet though. But, I'm thinking part of my problem could also be the altitude, I live at 7000 ft. and baking is sometimes hit-and-miss.

Anyway...3rd time just went with the WASC lemon flavor, only to discover I was out of lemon juice. Cake was still fabulous, can't imagine how good it would have been with the lemon juice! icon_smile.gif

sweetrat Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 1:07pm
post #119 of 127

Ya know, I bet altitude would play a major factor. Getting that fat, sugar, levening at just the right mix for stability would be that much more important. I agree with everyone else, play with it first. I wouldn't use it for the first time for a big order without the time & supplies to redo it if it failed. But, I think we should all be a little careful that we talk about it honestly but not discourage others from trying it if they're interested. Just know going into it, it might work for you and it might not. Experimentation is how we got all these great recipes on this site! And if nothing else, the leftover cake is to die for!

maryindublin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryindublin Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 3:28pm
post #120 of 127

It IS quite yummy, just not pretty. I froze my 2 sunken ones and what I think I'll do is level them and just use them as (thin) layers. Or cake balls...haven't tried cake balls yet. icon_wink.gif

Has anyone tried using less sugar and/or fat, since the creamer is so full of those? I might give it a shot at some point and post the results. Don't have time to do it for a while though.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%