First Wedding Cake Still Shows Opportunities...

Decorating By Tomoore Updated 17 May 2007 , 12:47am by Sunny77

Tomoore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tomoore Posted 12 May 2007 , 10:14pm
post #1 of 14

for me to work on. I don't have a pic of the finished cake yet. I will post it when I do. I am posting a pic of the photo that I was to use as a guide. I've been anxiously waiting to post this to get your feedback. (It's a shame how much I think about this site! icon_wink.gif )

The cake was Red Velvet with Oreo filling, IMBC and fondant. This was only the third tiered cake I've done and I really should have practiced it, but....

Here were my biggest problems:
(1) When I mixed the first couple of batches of batter, they had so many lumps! Of course the lumps burst when baking and I could see them when I pulled out the finished layers. I decided not to rebake them because (a) I was looking at the raw cake, no icing and the whole thing. No one would see what I saw. Plus, it was one layer of each tier. (Now I'm nervous as h*ll as I await a call from the sister of the bride (friend) for feedback. I resolved this issue before baking the second layers by breaking up any lumps in the dry ingredients (mix + extender recipe) with the whip attachment before adding the wet ingredients and mixing with the paddle. The second layers were perfect!

(2)IMBC and heat...OMIGOSH. Constant meltdown. What a lesson learned. I assume that next time I'll use a higher ratio of shortening to butter and maybe add a tsp of butter flavor?

(3) When I use dowels (I like the plastic hollow ones so far), should I cut it just BELOW the marking to indicate the height of the tier? I insert the dowel, mark it, pull it out, cut it and reinsert it. When I've inserted all dowles and I plac the cake on top of the tier, it never sits level on the tier...always a teeny bit above it. Never seems to be a smooth transition from one tier to the next.

(4) How much of a coating of buttercream do you put under the fondant? I think I use way too much. It was oozing out from underneath the layer of fondant. I am thinking tha from now one I will do a slightly-thicker-than-crumbcoat layer. Is this correct?

(5) I brushed a thin layer of piping gel around the base of the tiers to attach the ribbon. HORRIBLE! There were drips of piping gel down the cake in so many places!

(6) I ordered large ivory roses and brushed petal dust (red velvet color) on the outer row of petals. Any way to control the dust getting on other parts of the cake? I would notice a little dust here and there on the actual cake and base. Of course when you go to wipe it away, it smears.

I'm glad this one is done!

Sorry so long. Thanks for reading and for providing any feedback.
LL

13 replies
meggylou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meggylou Posted 12 May 2007 , 10:22pm
post #2 of 14

The photo was very blurry, but looks beautiful. I am impressed!

keonicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keonicakes Posted 12 May 2007 , 10:23pm
post #3 of 14

georgeous cake! Sounds like you had your hands full with this one. I too would be glad to be done with it.

heiser73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heiser73 Posted 12 May 2007 , 10:30pm
post #4 of 14

Yeah I agree with the others, it looks perfect! I love it actually!

The only question I can answer is about your lumpy batter. I have found that sifting really helps when baking the cake. I must admit, I'm one of those people that never sifts when they tell you to sift. And most of the time, I find that it doesn't make a difference. But I tried sifting my cake mixes once and now I will always sift them and I sift the flour and everything else I add when baking scratch cakes also because it makes it so much nicer and lump freeicon_smile.gif I hope that helps!

But really, your cake is beautiful! Great job!

loncake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loncake Posted 12 May 2007 , 10:37pm
post #5 of 14

Well first, its sounds deeeelicious!!!!!

I've done #1 before...from then on I sift all my dry ingredients and then beat them with a hand mixer (hand cramps sometimes but its worth it)

#4 Personally I don't like normal fondant much, so the more the buttercream the better. I put a normal coat of buttercream on and then fondant, just dont press hard on it and you should be fine!

#6 Brush the flowers before you put them on the cake, so there isn't and dust on the cake. just becareful when your putting them on because the excess dust might fall, and you'll be in the same spot

Good luck...can't wait to see the finished product!!

JavaJunkieChrissy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JavaJunkieChrissy Posted 12 May 2007 , 10:40pm
post #6 of 14

That picture looks like it's alot of work

I'm anxious to see a picture of your finsihed product!! I have not done a cake that big yet....I'm waiting for a little bit. I've done a oval stack but those square ones give me a heatache with the corners!

Kudos for taking on this project!! I would be VERY worried....probably need medication icon_surprised.gif

Tomoore Posted 12 May 2007 , 10:40pm
post #7 of 14

Thanks, guys, but that's not my cake. That's the once I was to use as a guide. I don't have a pic of mine yet. icon_sad.gif Sorry to confuse you.
loncake: I did brush the flowers before (about 2-3 weeks before). Maybe I'll try putting strips of wax paper underneath to collect any dust...

doescakestoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doescakestoo Posted 12 May 2007 , 10:46pm
post #8 of 14

Hope you post a picture of your cake when its done. The "original" looks great. But I want to see yours. My input to cake mix problems. I just learned not too long ago to mix all wet ingredients first then add the dry. For some reason it gets rid of the lumps. Try it you might like it also. As for IMBC it realy does not like heat of any kind. Cause of the high ratio of butter. I love it too. I have a July wedding for my youngest son who's bride wants IMBC. I will have to figure out a recipe for her that won't melt.

Tomoore Posted 12 May 2007 , 11:45pm
post #9 of 14

Mine sat in the fridge from 3:30am-11am...so I think the IMBC firmed up enough to hold out until they cut it (probably about 3:30-ish). Leaving it in the fridge that long seemed to be the only way it would have made it.

Carson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carson Posted 13 May 2007 , 5:12am
post #10 of 14

I totally agree with the sifting! I never done it and one day I decided to - you should of seen my DH's reaction to the BC! He thought it was exactly like the bakeries icon_biggrin.gif So now I will always sift - that little extra work seemed to pay off!

karensjustdessert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karensjustdessert Posted 13 May 2007 , 5:52pm
post #11 of 14

I hate sifting, but I have found a shortcut that works for me. All of the dry ingredients into the mixer, and blend it with the whisk attachment on medium for about 30 seconds. Works like a charm.

Cakechick123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakechick123 Posted 15 May 2007 , 6:46am
post #12 of 14

i would love to see a pic of the finished cake

#4 My buttercream is just a thick crumbcoat

#5 I wet my ribbons, then run it through my fingers to get rid of as much water as possible, then just place it where you want. Once its dry it sticks like glue!

#6. After dusting your flowers just pass them once or twice though the steam from your kettle. Let them dry before attaching to the cake. This will make the dust adhere to the flower and none will come off your cake.

JavaJunkieChrissy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JavaJunkieChrissy Posted 15 May 2007 , 2:28pm
post #13 of 14

What a great tip about ribbons! I'll have to remember that one..thanks thumbs_up.gif

Sunny77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sunny77 Posted 17 May 2007 , 12:47am
post #14 of 14

That is a great tip to remember to attach the ribbon. I need to remember that and about 4000 other invaluable things I've learned in a few short months here!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%