Need Opinions On My Calla Lily...

Decorating By shalderman Updated 19 Aug 2007 , 4:47am by auntiemcakes

shalderman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shalderman Posted 12 May 2007 , 7:37pm
post #1 of 8

I'm so new to the fondant thing...used it once before to make a palm tree and that's it. I'm in Wilton's course 3 right now. Anywho...I'm going to be doing a cake as a gift for my cousin's bridal shower in June and her flower is calla lilies. So I'd love to make some to put on top. I've been scouring the posts here to get tips. I ended up doing it with a heart cutter I have already. I just want some opinions cause I'm not sure if it looks right or if I should tweak something. It wasn't completely dry when I did this, just put it together for a quick pic. Thanks!! icon_biggrin.gif

Steph
LL
LL

7 replies
mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 12 May 2007 , 7:43pm
post #2 of 8

I think it looks good.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 12 May 2007 , 7:49pm
post #3 of 8

Very pretty! Pinch the bottom closed a bit more and dust with light apple green petal dust 1/3 of the way up and you're right in there! icon_biggrin.gif

mdelmauro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mdelmauro Posted 12 May 2007 , 7:59pm
post #4 of 8

You have it, look good, follow the suggestions already submitted and I'm sure your cousin will be thrilled with the outcome.

marthajo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marthajo1 Posted 12 May 2007 , 8:05pm
post #5 of 8

I would also trim down the front side of the petal so it doesn't wrap quite so far....Ill be right back with a pic from the garden!

See Janette! I didn't pick this one! icon_lol.gif
LL
LL

eyeofhorus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eyeofhorus Posted 12 May 2007 , 8:08pm
post #6 of 8

very nice!! as stated above pinch down a little and add a stem. icon_smile.gif

shalderman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shalderman Posted 12 May 2007 , 10:23pm
post #7 of 8

Thanks everyone! I'll have to get some of that petal dust to try - how else would I do that stem part at the base with fondant? Just wrap some around (green fondant)?

Marthajo thanks for that pic! I see what you mean about trimming the petal a bit (not so much overlap). I'll leave the bugs out icon_wink.gif

auntiemcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntiemcakes Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 4:47am
post #8 of 8

You can use regular chalk pastels as long as they are non toxic. I use them and just color back and forth in the same place on a piece of paper until I have a good amount on my paper. Then just swipe your brush across it to pick some up on it as you would with petal dust. Only thing is that this method doesn't allow for any sparkle like luster dust, more like petal dust which has a matte finish. HTH.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%