Layering Cake Mixes Before Baking?

Decorating By dlabert Updated 11 Jun 2006 , 6:50am by SugarFrosted

dlabert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dlabert Posted 10 Jun 2006 , 1:20am
post #1 of 10

I went to a wedding once where the cake had several flavours within the same layer. Kind of like marbling a cake, but instead of swirls there were several flavours layered on top of another. No icing in between them, of course, they were baked all together.

Does anyone know how to use this technique? I hope I explained it well.

-D

9 replies
Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 10 Jun 2006 , 1:24am
post #2 of 10

Welcome to CC D icon_smile.gif

Maybe something like a zebra cake?

http://cakefun.blogspot.com/2005/08/zebra-cake_25.html

irisinbloom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
irisinbloom Posted 10 Jun 2006 , 1:25am
post #3 of 10

Never heard of this, hopefully someone else has sounds interestingicon_smile.gif

aliciaL_77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aliciaL_77 Posted 10 Jun 2006 , 1:28am
post #4 of 10

Lets see... I would imagine you would have to pour very carefully and make sure the more dense batter is on the bottom.. sure does sound interesting ..

mbalis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbalis Posted 10 Jun 2006 , 2:34am
post #5 of 10

I have made several multi-layer cheesecakes...maybe it is the same concept. Each flavor is poured into the pan and spread to the edge. For the cheesecake though, the batter is used up. For a cake, I would think you would have leftover batter? Cupcakes icon_smile.gif

Claudine1976 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claudine1976 Posted 10 Jun 2006 , 2:43am
post #6 of 10

I did that once for fun!!!! with leftover batter, chocolate, vainilla and almond colored red, it look fantastic!!!

bbarnes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbarnes Posted 10 Jun 2006 , 3:00am
post #7 of 10

I have the ultimate cake book and there is a cake in there that looks like the one you are talking about, the instructions state to grease your pan and turn your broiler to high. Spread 6 Tbs of batter into pan an broil for 2-3 min. Remove and cover with another layer of batter and continue to do this. After 3-4 layers you will be able to spread layers more thinly. using 4 Tbs in instead of 6. Once finished remove from pan and let cool. Hope this makes sense. I have not tried this. There is no filling in between but it looks like it has been torted from where the layers have baked. Sorry this is so long. whew

aliciaL_77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aliciaL_77 Posted 10 Jun 2006 , 2:00pm
post #8 of 10

good to know bbarnes! thanks!

Rodneyck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rodneyck Posted 10 Jun 2006 , 2:11pm
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlabert

I went to a wedding once where the cake had several flavours within the same layer. Kind of like marbling a cake, but instead of swirls there were several flavours layered on top of another. No icing in between them, of course, they were baked all together.

Does anyone know how to use this technique? I hope I explained it well.

-D

Wouldn't it just be easier to bake two or three different cakes then swap layers on top (although I would fill between them) of each other? You would get a more uniform appearance, I would think. I have seen this done with petite fours.

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 11 Jun 2006 , 6:50am
post #10 of 10

Ursula40 mentioned a cake like that in another thread:

"In Germany we have a parrot cake, where you basically divide your cake batter into as manny colours you want and just add uncooked jello in the colours you want to the batter itself. Colours the batter nicely. So just mix your batter, add jello and bake."

and there was a picture of the slice of cake with several colors.

Do a search for Parrot cake and the author is Ursula40

(Sorry, I dunno how to copy the image from that thread to this one)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%