Wilton Color Mist Spray

Decorating By jillycakes Updated 20 May 2007 , 7:15pm by beachcakes

jillycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillycakes Posted 11 May 2007 , 7:05pm
post #1 of 20

Has anyone ever used the red Wilton Color Mist food color spray? I have to do a cake in the near future that will have a white top, but red sides. I'd rather spray it than use red icing. If you have used it, can you tell me if it is a true red, and if it has that bitter "red" taste? Thanks!

19 replies
Jonesie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jonesie Posted 11 May 2007 , 7:12pm
post #2 of 20

I used some last week for an Elmo cake. To me, it looked dark pink - I wouldn't call it red. I had a layer of colored coconut over it, so it didn't make a big difference to the overall look for my cake, but I don't think you'll be happy spraying the sides of the cake if you want it to be really red. It also made a strange crust on the top of my BC.

About the taste - I don't know. I made the cake for a baby shower that I didn't attend.

TooMuchCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TooMuchCake Posted 11 May 2007 , 7:21pm
post #3 of 20

You'd be better off using red icing. The spray that comes out of those cans is hard to control, I think. You may end up with pinkish spray where you don't want it to be. It takes a lot of spraying to get a decent red, and by then it's just weird.

Deanna

zoraya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zoraya Posted 11 May 2007 , 7:22pm
post #4 of 20

I used the red on Antonias RI and it didn't leave a taste. It stinks when you're spraying it but once its dried theres no taste or smell. It will start out pink but with enough coverage it does make it red. Buy at least 2 cans to be sure you don't run out.

Momkiksbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momkiksbutt Posted 11 May 2007 , 7:22pm
post #5 of 20

It generally does look red like the can says. Be careful to "sweep" it back and forth across the cake and shake after each one though. If you don't it won't go on a well. thumbs_up.gif

belindajax Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
belindajax Posted 11 May 2007 , 7:23pm
post #6 of 20

I've used it and its not bright red. There didn't seem to be a taste difference, I used it on MMF covered NFSC. It does seem to make drips and splatters so be careful of that.

jillycakes Posted 11 May 2007 , 7:24pm
post #7 of 20

Thanks so much for the responses. I think I'll just play it safe and go w/ red icing, as long as I can find the "no-taste" red color. Thanks again.

Momkiksbutt Posted 12 May 2007 , 12:04am
post #8 of 20

Drips happen when you are holding the can too close to the cake and don't wait for one layer to dry before applying the next one.

Generally it's going to take about 4 layers to get to the true red you want. Also be sure to only use crisco in your BC for a real white, before you use your spray.

Buttercream containing actual butter will make the color less vibrant and will change it to an untrue color.

Think of it as trying to print a picture of a blue cake onto a pink peice of paper. What happens? You end up with a purple cake, that looks wrong.

So start with true white, and make sure to add enough layers, spraying at about 6 to 8 inches away from the surface. Allow one coat to dry before adding the next one, until desired color is achieved. This should get you the results your looking for!

Above all, have fun with it!! thumbs_up.gif

jillycakes Posted 12 May 2007 , 12:58am
post #9 of 20

Thanks for the advice, momkiksbutt (I love that name!). I wouldn't have thought to use true white buttercream instead of my usual 1/2 butter recipe.

bizatchgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bizatchgirl Posted 12 May 2007 , 1:06am
post #10 of 20

Have you thought about doing the sides with Fondant? Anyway, I had the same splatter problem mentioned. I don't recall how far away I held it. When we ate the cake, we all decided it tasted like mint! This was the pastels, so I can't imagine what darker flavors would do to the taste of your icing.

MahalKita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MahalKita Posted 12 May 2007 , 1:06am
post #11 of 20

To me there is really no taste if you use a small amount. but as soon as you try to get a deep color the tease comes out. & it isn't yummy.

smitakasargod Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smitakasargod Posted 12 May 2007 , 6:48am
post #12 of 20

I have used this in the past and it is pretty much a bright red if you use it correctly. You can take a look in my gallery. In the farm cake the barn is sprayed with wilton color mist. It will give you some idea of the color.

VACakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VACakelady Posted 12 May 2007 , 7:34am
post #13 of 20

I've used this stuff (batman cake in my photos), but I don't care for it. I like the look and all, but no matter how much you cover everything in the area, that spray goes everywhere. It gets airborne and you will find it for weeks. I couldn't tell you how much green overspray we found in the kitchen on everything from the last use. You couldn't see it, but when you wiped something, sure enough the cloth would have a green tint. I tried to tell DH to take the cake outside and spray it for me, but did he listen?? NOOOOO. Then he got on his hands and knees and wiped the entire kitchen floor until he thought it was gone, but it wasn't. Then he said "we're never using that stuff in the house again". Well DUH smart a$$, I told you that before you insisted on doing it in the house. LOL Sorry, had to share.

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 12 May 2007 , 7:41am
post #14 of 20

Do DH's EVER listen???? LOL

zoraya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zoraya Posted 12 May 2007 , 3:53pm
post #15 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by VACakelady

that spray goes everywhere. It gets airborne and you will find it for weeks.

I forgot all about that! The same thing happened when I used the red, it goes everywhere but you don't see it until your wiping things off. I remember thinking that next time I'd do it outside.

MissLady85 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissLady85 Posted 13 May 2007 , 12:33am
post #16 of 20

I used the red spray today on my spiderman cake... well it doesnt leave a weird taste. If you dont want other areas pinkish cover them (i used parchment paper for this and then smoothed the icing when i was done) It gives you a light red (not a pink) drips happen if it stays in one spot to long and MMF turns BRIGHT red while the BC stays kinda light (i used two cans) Drips happen more on the MMF than BC!!!! HTH

Lybby2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lybby2000 Posted 13 May 2007 , 1:16am
post #17 of 20

I used Red wilton spray for the Spiderman Cake in my photo section and I think it turned out fine...
The head is fondant and the body is buttercream but I don't think you can tell a difference in shading....

Momkiksbutt Posted 19 May 2007 , 8:14pm
post #18 of 20
Quote:
Quote:

I've used this stuff (batman cake in my photos), but I don't care for it. I like the look and all, but no matter how much you cover everything in the area, that spray goes everywhere. It gets airborne and you will find it for weeks. I couldn't tell you how much green overspray we found in the kitchen on everything from the last use. You couldn't see it, but when you wiped something, sure enough the cloth would have a green tint. I tried to tell DH to take the cake outside and spray it for me, but did he listen?? NOOOOO. Then he got on his hands and knees and wiped the entire kitchen floor until he thought it was gone, but it wasn't. Then he said "we're never using that stuff in the house again". Well DUH smart a$$, I told you that before you insisted on doing it in the house. LOL Sorry, had to share.

LOL I had the same problem!! My kitchen is all done is Roosters, and I have a Rooster lamp that sits on my counter by my phone. I was cleaning and found the lamp shade was covered in a fine layer of pink! I foolishly tried to clean it with a damp sponge...... icon_cry.gif

I ended up putting it in some dish soapy water and scrubbing it with a brush. Then I had to reglue the trim as it dried. What a mess...and that was just the lamp! I started cleaning my little roosters in the window sill and found that everything was covered there too. I haven't checked, but I wouldn't be surprised if my ceiling didn't have some too!

I agree, it's best to spray it outside if you can, or in your garage.

Good luck to you! thumbs_up.gif

Momkiksbutt Posted 19 May 2007 , 8:19pm
post #19 of 20
Quote:
Quote:

Drips happen more on the MMF than BC!!!! HTH

I don't recommend spraying a MMF covered cake unless it's really fresh and you use an air brush. Painting is nice on MMF too by the way. I am always "borrowing" other CCer's ideas for my cakes for this! LOL

Don't know what I would do without them all!!! icon_biggrin.gif *blows a kiss to all*

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 20 May 2007 , 7:15pm
post #20 of 20

I used the green color mist for a mother's day cake last weekend and I am still cleaning green! It went Everywhere!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%