Can You Make Me A Walmart Cake? What??????

Decorating By 2sdae Updated 14 May 2007 , 2:53pm by gateaux

2sdae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2sdae Posted 11 May 2007 , 11:14am
post #1 of 54

So this Lady I know who has 2 cakes from me, a cross for her g.son's communion and 1 time she ordered 15 mini cakes with gumpaste roses from me. She has always liked my cakes well enough but always says "I came to you because so-so said your cake are really good and Ihave to have the best cakes. O.K. this said, she calls me yesterday and says can I show you a cake I'd like you to make for me? So I says sure. She gets here and walks in bringing a walmart bag with a cake in it. icon_confused.gif
She proceeds to open up this thing Walmart has called a cheesecake tort. It's jello no bake cheesecake on top of vanilla sponge cake in 3 layer with white chocolate curls on top. I for one detest jello no bake cheesecakes. YUCK!
So she asks for a fork and small saucer so I can *taste* what she wants me to duplicate. icon_eek.gif
So she proceeds to say she wants me to make this exact thing but in a 12in size instead. She says she asked Walmart but they don't make these that way so wouldn't do it.
So now she wants me to do it and pay me for it. But she is adement it HAS TO TASTE JUST LIKE THE WALMART CAKE! icon_twisted.gif I don't wanna loose her business and she has spoken well of me to lots of others but good grief! I am not walmart, and I do my thing because it's my thing, ya know? What would you all do? Not to mention I don't want some no baked jello sitting my precious cake with my name any where attached to it! thumbsdown.gif

53 replies
acookieobsession Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
acookieobsession Posted 11 May 2007 , 11:22am
post #2 of 54

Uhmmmm, no?!?

Actually I would tell her I understand that she prefers the taste of this cake, however I have my own tested recipes that I use. They are tested to make sure they consistently have the same taste and texture, as well as, have the properties needed to stand up to being decorated and all.

If you want you can offer to make somethign similar, but no you can not make the yucky jello ina box cake. Blech!

Thanks
Julia

LanaC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LanaC Posted 11 May 2007 , 11:23am
post #3 of 54

Do you have a relationship with her to where you can make "subtle" recommendations for change? Find out what she likes most about the WalMart thing and then step it up a notch?

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 11 May 2007 , 11:26am
post #4 of 54

If this lady has used you before and is aware of your capabilities I think I would just explain to her that this is not something that you do and suggest she buy 2 or 3 of the WalMart Tortes. The other suggestion is come up with (IF you have the time) another kind of cheescake torte of your own and have her taste it! I'm SURE there won't even be a comparison!

Beth in KY

Tramski Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tramski Posted 11 May 2007 , 11:26am
post #5 of 54

Thats like asking an artist to duplicate a childs first drawing in my eyes, yuck

2sdae Posted 11 May 2007 , 12:37pm
post #6 of 54

I don't really have an relationship to her other then she bought 2 cakes. So I tread on thin ice with her because she thinks she has to have "the best of everything" even if it's really yucky! You know they type, Johnny Y said this is the new in color so I will have my house painted this color right now! Even if it is highlighter pink! icon_lol.gif
Just a dramatization of course, but I can totally see her doing something similar.

So I think what I'll do, for the sport it now, is make my own cheesecakes tort them with a rich butter pound cake brushed with rum simple syrup and drizzled with white chocolate. I've got them baking as we speak!
thumbs_up.gif

2sdae Posted 11 May 2007 , 12:39pm
post #7 of 54

oh, I forgot to add and she is paying very appropriately. They'll be 2 12 inch cheese cakes and 2 12 inch pound cakes. ooooh, now I am excited!!!!!
POO ON WALMART! icon_biggrin.gif

mizshelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mizshelli Posted 11 May 2007 , 12:52pm
post #8 of 54

Yuck. I can't believe people pay money for that junk.

I'll be right over and help you taste test those. Throw a little extra rum on em for me would ya?

lol

Dustbunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dustbunny Posted 11 May 2007 , 12:54pm
post #9 of 54

I like your idea and I'm sure it will taste a lot better.

2sdae Posted 11 May 2007 , 1:20pm
post #10 of 54

Any more orders like this one and I'll need the rum to drink, forget the simple syrup! icon_biggrin.gif
Honestly I am really interested in seeing how this turns out. I never heard of it before and I just thought it up in an instant so we'll see. icon_razz.gif

heidisuesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heidisuesmom Posted 11 May 2007 , 1:45pm
post #11 of 54

Oh 2sdae, please post how it turns out. It sounds so good! (Yours I mean, not wally-worlds!) Can you believe jello no bake was my favorite as a kid, and now my son goes nuts over it?!!! Crazy what we learn when we grow up!!!

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 11 May 2007 , 1:53pm
post #12 of 54

UGGG! Jello no-bake cheesecake is my DH's favorite. icon_cry.gif

Keep us posted on this one, I'm interested in how things are going to unfold.

2sdae Posted 11 May 2007 , 1:54pm
post #13 of 54

well your taste buds don't truly develope till your older so there really is no account for taste in kids!
But I will hafta post how this one works out. icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 11 May 2007 , 1:59pm
post #14 of 54

Tramski got it right:

Quote:
Quote:

Thats like asking an artist to duplicate a childs first drawing in my eyes, yuck

Besides you did answer your own question:

Quote:
Quote:

Not to mention I don't want some no baked jello sitting my precious cake with my name any where attached to it!

P.S. Money does not always buy peace of mind or loyality for that matter icon_lol.gif

breelaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
breelaura Posted 11 May 2007 , 1:59pm
post #15 of 54

You could maybe tell her you can see she has an incredibly discriminating palate and wants the absolute best cake you can make, and you can certainly do what she asks, but how would she feel about a slightly higher-end, more gourmet product? Not that there's anything wrong with the Wal-Mart, mind you, of course it's a lovely product ( icon_confused.gif ), but that based on your experience with her she doesn't settle for anything less than the absolute cream of the crop and you'd like to at least offer her that opportunity.

icon_wink.gif

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 11 May 2007 , 1:59pm
post #16 of 54

2sdae, your idea sounds wonderful! I'd like you recipe for the whole thing please!! Butter pound cake? Oh oh oh... I just don't have that kind of great imagination I guess. Sounds soo yummy!

Mmmmmmmmmm,
Carol

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 11 May 2007 , 2:02pm
post #17 of 54

Sounds like a great idea. I know it will be better than jello no bake. How do you tort a cheesecake? Do you cut it before it is frozen solid?

Amylou724 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amylou724 Posted 11 May 2007 , 2:04pm
post #18 of 54

Has anyone tried any of that cheesecake in a tub that Philly has got out now? Wonder how that would taste as a filling between cake layers? (I know, probably not as good as actually baking a cheese cake and torting it between layers of pound cake!) But I bet it would be something good to use in a pinch.

Ditto on the Jello No-bake cheese cake. Eccccchhh!!! icon_confused.gif

Amy W.

gabbenmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gabbenmom Posted 11 May 2007 , 2:06pm
post #19 of 54

Your idea sounds great! Please let us know how it turns out and how you do it (with recipes please icon_redface.gif ). I would try to sell her on a "more gourmet" type one like Breelaura said!

Good luck!

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 11 May 2007 , 2:18pm
post #20 of 54

Okay, the tub of cheesecake pre-made by Philly stinks. It tastes awful. My jello-no-bake cheesecake eating husband spit it out and said never to let that nasty stuff back in the house again. So after hearing that I just had to try it. It is awful!!!!! Has a wierd chemically taste to it.

DBliss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DBliss Posted 11 May 2007 , 2:27pm
post #21 of 54

I would like to know your recipe for Butter Pound Cake. It sounds delicious!

Thanks!

2sdae Posted 11 May 2007 , 2:43pm
post #22 of 54

I'm going to gather my cheese cake recipes and my butter pound cake recipe too and I'll post them later. I got the 2 cheesecake baking at the moment. icon_biggrin.gif
I spoke with this lady just awhile ago and I said, "I know how well you like to really have the best tasting and most envied desserts so I thought you might like 2 "fresh" cheesecakes torted with my melt in your mouth butter pound cake and drizzled in german white chocolate."
"Not only will your guests love this but they can't duplicate it by going to walmart and getting one for themselves."

She took the bait hook, line and sinker girls! icon_lol.gificon_rolleyes.gif
She was really excited that could have a "fresh" gourmet cheesecake dessert no one else could readily just go grab to have at their dinner party. icon_rolleyes.gif Some people are hopeless.

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 11 May 2007 , 2:48pm
post #23 of 54

LOL icon_lol.gif I just know she did!

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 11 May 2007 , 2:55pm
post #24 of 54

OMG!!! This is the funniest post!!! icon_lol.gif

Quote:
Quote:

She took the bait hook, line and sinker girls!
She was really excited that could have a "fresh" gourmet cheesecake dessert no one else could readily just go grab to have at their dinner party. Some people are hopeless.

YOU KNOW SHE DID!!!! icon_lol.gif I think what you said was the best "catch of the day!" LOL How funny is she!?

marthajo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marthajo1 Posted 11 May 2007 , 2:56pm
post #25 of 54

That really does sound delicious! Please come back and post the results!

chaptlps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chaptlps Posted 11 May 2007 , 3:00pm
post #26 of 54

Well Sheesh, I quit working there just so I wouldn't have to do "Walmart" cakes anymore. Sheesh.
The reason they "CAN'T" make those is because they come in frozen from some bakery in Texas. All they do to fill the case with them things is to grab a couple outta the freezer n plop em in their spot.
To duplicate it hun all you would have to do is take a white cake circle n dump some cream cheese flavored filling n then plop another piece of white cake on there and then more filling and then the top of white cake . frost with white chocolate ganache (something that ain't on the store bought one) and then do yer white choc curls.
I know, I know yer curlin up yer nose at it but hey. They don't actually make this one at Walmart anyway. You could make one that is ten times better with the WASC and homemade bavarian creme with cream cheese flavor and the white choc ganache. Take the idea and run with it and make a product that will blow this ladies sox off.
btw. these cakes come from the "Camelot" bakery in Texas.

CakesbyMonica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyMonica Posted 11 May 2007 , 3:00pm
post #27 of 54

Haha, sounds like my mother in law! Though she won't shop at Walmart, she thinks Target is better. icon_smile.gif Luckily, she has discriminating taste and buys the nicest things for family parties. My favorite is a simple white cake with a fluffy whipped cream icing with fresh strawberries hidden in it. You can't tell its going to have strawberries until you bite in. European Cake Gallery, mmm.

Anyways, to the topic at hand...I'm on the other side of the fence, ladies! I LOVE Philly Cheesecakes! Though the ones on the philly box, not the jello version. I grew up with them and was the only cheesecake I knew for most my life. Now I have a Cheesecake Factory right next to my house! Tiramisu Cheesecake!

Count me in on the rum tasting! I mean, cake with rum tasting.

2sdae Posted 11 May 2007 , 8:29pm
post #28 of 54

this just in....nutty woman calls me back and says she talked to one of the "bakers" at walmart and she can do the "exact" same cake as theirs for her in a 12in like I was for 40 bucks so she thinks "this time, she;ll save a little money." icon_confused.gif
WELL HAVE AT IT MY LOVE!
And that is all I could say to her with out being profane. icon_cool.gif
oh, and no sorry to put through all that trouble, thanks for trying to help me, or anything.

Now I have 2 12inch cheesecakes and 2 pound cakes freezing!!! icon_lol.gif

bakersdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakersdawn Posted 11 May 2007 , 8:40pm
post #29 of 54

Well, at least maybe you got a new cake recipe out of it. It sounds really yummy to me. Besides, it never hurts to have cheesecake!! icon_biggrin.gif

doescakestoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doescakestoo Posted 11 May 2007 , 8:52pm
post #30 of 54

If your house is like mine they would be eaten even though the waist lines don't need it. So in the freezer would work and cut only a couple of slices each.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%