Condensation

Decorating By 2cakes Updated 17 Jul 2011 , 1:21pm by cakedboutique

2cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2cakes Posted 7 Jun 2006 , 11:04pm
post #1 of 6

Hi everyone, question I have is why condensation forms inside of plastic top of cake box while cake is in the refrigerator. Cake is completely iced and ready to go. I usally put cake box in the refrigerator the day before taken the cake out. Does anyone have any idea why this is happen? Thank you for your advice. Have a pleasant evening. icon_smile.gif

5 replies
gmcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gmcakes Posted 11 Jun 2006 , 3:18am
post #2 of 6

The condensation forms because the air inside is at room temperature when you place the box in the refrigerator. The cool air inside the 'fridge hits the walls of the box with the warm air inside, this is what causes the condensation.

You might try leaving the box partially open for 10 to 15 minutes after you place the cake in the 'fridge, and then closing, it might fix your problem!

Samsgranny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Samsgranny Posted 11 Jun 2006 , 4:26am
post #3 of 6

Thanks gmcakes, I also have that problem and could not figure out why. Thanks for the tip.

gmcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gmcakes Posted 11 Jun 2006 , 1:32pm
post #4 of 6

Also, I use cardboard boxes. Since the cardboard boxes "breathe", I do not have this problem.

cakedboutique Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedboutique Posted 17 Jul 2011 , 1:18pm
post #5 of 6

We baked a tiered buttercream cake for a customer, put it in the fridge as we are accustomed to doing. I removed the cake for a few hours prior to the pickup so that it would not be cold. Within an hour or so, the cake was covered with condensation beads (sweating). I had never experienced that before, but I cleaned it off and all was well, the cake looked great when she picked it up. However, the customer said that when she got the cake home, the border was bleeding UPWARDS onto the sides of the cake and was not presentable! Why did this happen??? How can I avoid future occurrences?

cakedboutique Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedboutique Posted 17 Jul 2011 , 1:21pm
post #6 of 6

I should add...I did not put the cake in a box while in the fridge. It was loosely wrapped with plastic wrap for about 24 hours while in the fridge, which is what I normally do.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%