Help!!! I Need Red Fondant

Decorating By amodeoandrea Updated 14 May 2007 , 12:40pm by amodeoandrea

amodeoandrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amodeoandrea Posted 11 May 2007 , 2:57am
post #1 of 13

I have been kneading in a whole jar of red coloring for the last hour and I still only have a rosey shade of pink. I absolutley do not want to buy Wiltons fondant. Does anyone have any tips on how to get this fondant red. I was considering buying an airbrush, but there are no local stores that carry them . I need this cake done Sat afternoon. icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

12 replies
mdtargac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mdtargac Posted 11 May 2007 , 3:45am
post #2 of 13

I think I read somewhere if you start with pink it will go red faster. Sorry that doesn't help with the fondant you've already colored. Last time I made red it really turned darker overnight. Maybe yours will too.

Melissa

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 11 May 2007 , 7:50am
post #3 of 13

I know its late.. and theres nothing you can do to what you have not except keep adding more red (and powdered sugar to adjust the consistency) or paint it with red once its done... but I really do suggest you buy an airbrush OR purchase the red premade from a place like Satin Ice.

Feefs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Feefs Posted 11 May 2007 , 8:27am
post #4 of 13

have you tried using powder colour instead of the gels? I find that it a better medium to use when wanting the strong colour of red or black.

HTH

-- Fi

amodeoandrea Posted 11 May 2007 , 12:31pm
post #5 of 13

Thanks everyone! It didn't darken over night like I had hoped. I will probably paint it by hand.

mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 11 May 2007 , 2:34pm
post #6 of 13

I buy the red satin ice and it's soooo worth it!!!

Courtney

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 12 May 2007 , 12:39am
post #7 of 13

I make my own red fondant all the time - you can't get it red with a tiny jar of Wilton gel - you need to get Americolor red-red, or super red, and it takes a pretty large amount. If you can't get any Americolor now, and you decide you really would rather not paint it, I would get more red color and keep adding. Definitely add more powdered sugar, and maybe a little glycerine and shortening for pliability and stretch?

doescakestoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doescakestoo Posted 12 May 2007 , 12:57am
post #8 of 13

Next time go with Satin Ice red. It is a truer red and lasts longer. It is well worth the costs.

MORSELSBYMARK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MORSELSBYMARK Posted 12 May 2007 , 1:02am
post #9 of 13

Try tinting chocolate fondant. When I need to make red or black frosting, I always go with a chocolate base. It uses less color and works really well

nydia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nydia Posted 12 May 2007 , 1:03am
post #10 of 13

I personally like doing my own fondant, but when it comes to colors like red or black go with Satin Ice. thumbs_up.gif

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 12 May 2007 , 1:08am
post #11 of 13

I buy red Satin Ice as well. But, you could use what you have made, once it is smoothed on the cake it can be airbrushed with red airbrush liquid color, or even the Wiltons canned spary in red, although I hate the smell of that strong peppermint they use. Just hold the nozzle about 12" away from the cake surface, spray a light coat, let it set a few minutes and then spray a second coat.

nydia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nydia Posted 14 May 2007 , 3:18am
post #12 of 13

Yes, you can pait the Fondant too, I also have air brush. Just an idea to use if she doesn't have air brush... icon_smile.gif

amodeoandrea Posted 14 May 2007 , 12:40pm
post #13 of 13

Well my DH surprised me for mothers day and bought a fancy air brush kit from our local Art store. So was able to get the cake red. Thanks everyone for the advice!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%