A Little Annoyed

Decorating By AmyBeth Updated 12 May 2007 , 4:01am by tcturtleshell

AmyBeth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmyBeth Posted 11 May 2007 , 12:59am
post #1 of 73

I really am trying not to be annoyed. REALLY!
When you post a picture of a cake that you made that was inspired by a cake you saw on CC it is proper etiquette to name the person that made the orignal cake.
I am trying not to let it bug me, but I had a lot of fun designing my cake and worked hard on it. I have seen a lot of people make replicas that they have even improved on the design.
I just wish people would show some courtesy and aknowledge that it was my idea first!!

Sorry, I am done throwing a little temper tantrum now. icon_smile.gif

72 replies
momof5kiki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momof5kiki Posted 11 May 2007 , 1:02am
post #2 of 73

I don't think you are throwing a tantrum, I think it is only polite.

cocakedecorator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 11 May 2007 , 1:09am
post #4 of 73

I'm guilty of this... but honestly, how does someone know that the idea was originally yours?

I've seen so many spiderman bust cakes on here, who would I know to give credit to? Or was it even someone from CC? I have no idea. icon_sad.gif

Also, once - before I started reading the forums, I saved a picture I thought was cute onto my hard drive. I used that photo for inspiration on a x-mas cake I did (the naughty list one), but I tried to do a search to know who to give credit to, but I couldn't find it again.

I doubt it was intentional - so please don't take it personally. icon_biggrin.gif

msthang1224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msthang1224 Posted 11 May 2007 , 1:11am
post #5 of 73

I think your right to be a little annoyed! Give credit where the credit is due, it was your idea and you should be given the credit for it!

Lostinalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lostinalaska Posted 11 May 2007 , 1:12am
post #6 of 73

I agree 100 % with the above post by Brandi

Janette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Janette Posted 11 May 2007 , 1:14am
post #7 of 73

My problem is instead of saving the pic here I save it in a folder on my computer. I usually don't make it the same, I change it a little. But, I don't know who the person was.

I saw a cake the other day and thought "hey, that looks like my cake". It didn't bother me I was so happy that someone actually liked my cake that much. I even called my husband at work to tell him, I was so excited.

AmyBeth Posted 11 May 2007 , 1:18am
post #8 of 73

This cakes are very obviously a replica of the cake that I made. It is my bathtub cake that is my avatar.
I have made a cake before and couldn't remember who the original artist was, so I just said that it was a replica, but couldn't remember the name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandisBaked

I'm guilty of this... but honestly, how does someone know that the idea was originally yours?

I've seen so many spiderman bust cakes on here, who would I know to give credit to? Or was it even someone from CC? I have no idea. icon_sad.gif

Also, once - before I started reading the forums, I saved a picture I thought was cute onto my hard drive. I used that photo for inspiration on a x-mas cake I did (the naughty list one), but I tried to do a search to know who to give credit to, but I couldn't find it again.

I doubt it was intentional - so please don't take it personally. icon_biggrin.gif

IHATEFONDANT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IHATEFONDANT Posted 11 May 2007 , 1:18am
post #9 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyBeth

I really am trying not to be annoyed. REALLY!
When you post a picture of a cake that you made that was inspired by a cake you saw on CC it is proper etiquette to name the person that made the orignal cake.
I am trying not to let it bug me, but I had a lot of fun designing my cake and worked hard on it. I have seen a lot of people make replicas that they have even improved on the design.
I just wish people would show some courtesy and aknowledge that it was my idea first!!

Sorry, I am done throwing a little temper tantrum now. icon_smile.gif

No flames please...but...do you send off a thank you email to every designer that you take an idea from?

I know it is nice to get cudos and thank yous but as someone else said sometimes the original name gets lost.

Take it as a compliment that others are using your designs, thank yous not withstanding.

BrandisBaked Posted 11 May 2007 , 1:18am
post #10 of 73

I did a cake today that was "inspired" by a cake I saw on here yesterday. But in the description of that one, she thanked other people for their help and inspirition. I won't know who to credit when I post it...

Janette Posted 11 May 2007 , 1:22am
post #11 of 73

My friend who is a member here did a Pirate Ship and since then I've seen several but who knows who did it first?

StephW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StephW Posted 11 May 2007 , 1:24am
post #12 of 73

I think it is great that people give a nod to a designer that they got their inspiration from, however I don't know how anyone would know who's original idea it is.

Also, sometimes I might look thru a ton of cakes in the theme I want to create and I might get ideas from alot of them. Hard to mention or remember them all.

I am sorry you are annoyed about this, but I don't think most are trying to be rude.

kaciealexa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaciealexa Posted 11 May 2007 , 1:26am
post #13 of 73

i'm new to this list, but is it okay to just say that we got the idea for a cake from this list? i would love to give credit to the individual who first came up with the design, but.. there are literally thousands of cakes on this site, do we spend tons of hours researching who did the design first vs. someone else who copied it? you would have to go to the first day that the list was posting pictures and keep a log of who did what and when...
i am all for giving credit to the wonderful designers on this site, cuz the good Lord knows i have not a creative bone in my body. but lets be understanding about the sheer magnitude of all the pictures to remember.

laurie in michigan

ladefly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladefly Posted 11 May 2007 , 1:28am
post #14 of 73

Wow, what if there are alot of people who have that kind of cake? Are we supposed to find the original person??? I am afraid that I wouldn't be able to post anymore photos...because I don't think I have the time to trace back the original person.
Would it be ok to say "thanks CC..... ??"

Hmmmmmmmm

AmyBeth Posted 11 May 2007 , 1:30am
post #15 of 73

I just needed to vent. I will be ok.
I am not saying every time you post a cake you have to do research and give a person credit. I am saying when you have a cake saved to your favorites and you copy it, just mention it in your description. It is polite.

jenbenjr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenbenjr Posted 11 May 2007 , 1:33am
post #16 of 73

I agree. If you are posting a pic on here, chances are that someone is going to try to copy it. Yea, in a perfect world it would be nice if everyone would thank the person for the idea, but they probably got the idea off of someone else. It is hard to trace a cake idea. I saw a few ppl do cakes very similar to some of mine and didn't mention me. I still felt good about it... someone liked my cake well enough to try to copy it. I personally don't have time to sit around and worry about that.

doescakestoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doescakestoo Posted 11 May 2007 , 1:35am
post #17 of 73

I try to tell the decorator at the time I see thier photo that I may use thier idea on a cake. I know I have yet to post a picture here. But I will as soon as I find my pictures and learn how to post. Awhile back my computer crashed. And my husband got me a lap top. So am starting out fresh.

Janette Posted 11 May 2007 , 1:42am
post #18 of 73

That's a good thought

SimpleAffair Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SimpleAffair Posted 11 May 2007 , 1:46am
post #19 of 73

I am fairly new to this site and I realize there are a lot of very talented cake artists here. I get most of my ideas from you pros; however, I have no idea who originally came up with a cake design. As of today I have not posted any pictures of my cakes and now I will hesitate to do so in the future for fear of insulting someone I admire.

Please realize that when someone creates a cake similar to or, even just like the one you originally created, it is a compliment to you, your talent and your craftsmanship. Not all of us are equally creative with the concept of the cake...we can re-create the design but with absolutely no intention of hurting anyone.

BrandisBaked Posted 11 May 2007 , 1:48am
post #20 of 73

I think I'd only get upset if someone outdid me on my own design! LOL!!!

dailey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dailey Posted 11 May 2007 , 1:55am
post #21 of 73

*actually*, i have a bathtub cake saved in my files *very* similair to that one...from 3 years ago.

do we ever *really* know who the "original" creator is? i think we should focus less on who's "copying" who and focus more on our work : )

ASupergirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ASupergirl Posted 11 May 2007 , 1:55am
post #22 of 73

Welllllllll...here is to make the kettle brew some more....I'm going to get totally irrate if I see someone post a photo exactly like one of my cakes...here's why...I had this 5x7 photo in a display of mine at the Bridal store who is giving me space for free to display....welllllll...The photo was stolen and the girls at the bridal store have no clue what happened to it...I mean literally how does a 5x7 framed photo disappear??!?!?!? So if one CCer posts this picture...I'm gonna come through the computer and slap you like yo' momma should because you STOLE and got away with it....Who cares if you copied my cake....but dang it..give the photo back you loser...I would have gladly shared it with you....but noooo...you forgot that lesson in kindergarden....anywho...guess I had to vent too...What would you do about a display that you get for free that they don't watch and let stuff get stolen off of it??? And they started putting their own stuff on your table display at the store??? Should I pull the whole display???? How do I do this without being rude....?????

CakeL8T Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeL8T Posted 11 May 2007 , 2:02am
post #23 of 73

My beef with this topic is when someone PM's me and askes me for directions on how I made a certain cake and I share detailed info with them then when they post their pic they give no credit!!! That's what miffs me!!! I share any and all "secrets" I have gladly because I feel that's the way we become better decorators, however when you've gotten detailed directions from someone it would be only polite to thank that person when you post your pic!!!
Carrie

jenbenjr Posted 11 May 2007 , 2:11am
post #24 of 73

LOL BrandisBaked.... icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif SimpleAffair...please don't let this stop you from posting your pics......not all of us are insulted by this. Like I said...if I see a cake that looks very similar to one that I did that I thought was "original", I take it as a compliment. If you honestly know who you got the inspiration from and you want to mention them...that is a nice gesture but I wouldn't worry about it. There are so many great ppl on here that give me inspiration. One in particular being Peacockplace. I got my inspiration for my gift box cake from her (Thankyou peacockplace!!), but I also know that alot of other ppl have done great gift boxes also. (And also my DH is actually the one that posts my pics and descriptions of them and he doesn't know where I got my ideas!!) So what I am trying to say is just post your pics and say what you want about them. We all want to see the great talent out there yet to be seen!!! thumbs_up.gif

jenbenjr Posted 11 May 2007 , 2:18am
post #25 of 73

CakeL8T.......I can understand where your coming from with that!!!

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 11 May 2007 , 2:23am
post #26 of 73

Here is a simple solution, if you don't want your cakes to be copied, duplicated, whatever - don't post a pic of them. There will be no issues with someone not giving the proper credit. I think this subject goes right along with the ones where folks complain that they don't get enough comments on their pics. Jeesh.

Dustbunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dustbunny Posted 11 May 2007 , 2:24am
post #27 of 73

I've seen many bathtub cakes in books & online, so I wouldn't assume this person stole your idea unless they personally asked you how to do it and then never said thank you. I have a couple bathtub cakes sketched in my sketch book and I hadn't seen your cake until today. I'm not trying to be rude because I do understand your frusteration but I'm not sure that you invented the idea, the cake in question looks nothing like yours.
I do love your bathtub cake though, it is so cute. Perfect for mothers day icon_smile.gif

missyek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyek Posted 11 May 2007 , 3:29am
post #28 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustbunny

Perfect for mothers day icon_smile.gif

Yes, that is why AmyBeth won 3rd place in last year's CC's Mother's Day cake contest with this cake in question.

KatieTaylor77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatieTaylor77 Posted 11 May 2007 , 3:42am
post #29 of 73

I may be completely out of line . . . but isn't the purpose of CC to share with our peers and inspire each other? I am constantly saving pictures to my computer of the cakes that I fall in love with on here. It would be impossible to thank everyone each time they inspire me . . . EVERYONE on here inspires me!

I think there are so many talented artists on here, it would be impossible not to hurt someones feelings if we have to thank each person for their inspriation each time we post a picture. I sometimes have 10 of the same cake saved--all from different artists!

Be flattered . . . they may not have realized you were one with the original picture. The 10 other artists who copied you before this person may have confused them.

thumbs_up.gif

Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 11 May 2007 , 3:45am
post #30 of 73

I admit I made a bathtub cake, but I saw it in Debbie Brown's Saucy Cake book, adapted it to the pans I have and the customer requested a lady in the tub, because the friend the cake was intended for needed a big hint to start spoiling herself a little. They needed more cake than in the original, and so the bathroom was born. I have had that book for around 15 yrs. I am not trying to be rude, but I honestly did not see your cake before I made my cake. I just tried out the search function, I write bathtub in one word, but your pic only comes up, when I type bath tub (2 words separately) With so many cakes here on CC it really will be difficult to track down the original creator, but this time my inspiration definately came from Debbie Brown. Your cake is beautiful none the less

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%