How Do I Carve A Pillow Cake?

Decorating By PinkPanther Updated 7 Jun 2006 , 7:48pm by PinkPanther

PinkPanther Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkPanther Posted 7 Jun 2006 , 6:26pm
post #1 of 5

Hello,

I am confused on exactly how to carve a cake into the shape of a pillow.
I have searched the forums, but I'm still not clear. I also checked my library for Colette's "Cakes to Dream On" and they don't have it. thumbsdown.gif If anyone could help me, I would really appreciate it. Thank you so much! icon_smile.gif

4 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 7 Jun 2006 , 6:33pm
post #2 of 5

okay.........all you do (so I've been told......haven't actually tried it) supposedly it's really simple. Anyhow, all you do is take a square cake of your choice of size and carve the cake a little (better if done while frozen)...shaving just a touch off of the sides making the top angle down slightly and do that on all sides, then flip the cake over and angle it again....hopefully that makes sense.....if you look at a pillow cake you can see what I mean...then you just frost and cover the whole thing in fondant usually and some like to use impression mats for a diamond pattern or some type of texture. Hope this made some sense to you, kinda hard to describe.

missyek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyek Posted 7 Jun 2006 , 6:34pm
post #3 of 5

If you can get your hands on Lindy Smith's Storybook Cakes, she has excellent step-by-step instructions in there. Basically, start with a frozen cake and start trimming the edges until you get the style that you want.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkPanther Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkPanther Posted 7 Jun 2006 , 7:48pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks for the replies. I think I've got it now! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%