What Chocolate For A Fountain?

Business By Dana0323 Updated 15 May 2007 , 2:05am by Katrina745

Dana0323 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dana0323 Posted 10 May 2007 , 8:14pm
post #1 of 13

I just bought a fountain. The directions says to use chocolate with no more than 60% cocoa. I've got Wilton Candy Melts and Make n Mold melts. Will these work? Neither say anything about how much cocoa.

Thanks!

12 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 10 May 2007 , 8:18pm
post #2 of 13

I use Merckle's chocolate. My cake supply store orders it for me in 25-lb boxes.

MiaT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MiaT Posted 10 May 2007 , 8:29pm
post #3 of 13

I've gotten by with Nestle's semisweet morsels from the grocery store too, and it works fine.

WARNING: Chocoholics may follow you home like you are the Pied Piper when you show up at a party with a chocolate fountain. When I brought mine to my brother's apt for a party and started it up, all the women suddenly surrounded the table and all the guys were standing there with drinks in their hand saying, "Where'd everybody go?!"

Dana0323 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dana0323 Posted 10 May 2007 , 8:33pm
post #4 of 13

So Mia is the semisweet good? I thought it would be too bitter. Did you add veg oil or anything?

Thanks!

The_Parsons_Wife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The_Parsons_Wife Posted 10 May 2007 , 8:38pm
post #5 of 13

I use Gheridelli (sp?) chocolate chips from sams club with veg oil...or 1# hersheys bars, or Symphony bars...

chocolateandpeanutbutter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chocolateandpeanutbutter Posted 10 May 2007 , 8:40pm
post #6 of 13

In my area, I have seen chocolate specifically for chocolate fountains. I think it's "runnier" when melted than regular candy melts, and so it flows easier. But you can thin down melted chocolate with shortening, if necessary. When I melt chocolate for a fondue, I blend semi-sweet with milk chocolate (good quality) for a happy medium. Not quite as sweet as milk chocolate, but not as bitter as the semi-sweet. Personally, I like really dark chocolate, but I think I'm in a minority!

I had to restrain myself from buying one of these at Michaels last year where I work. They had the Wilton fountain on clearance for $70 from $129.99, so with the 40% coupon...but I was good...*sigh*

Marci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marci Posted 10 May 2007 , 8:41pm
post #7 of 13

2 pounds of semisweet and 1/4 cup of veg. oil is what the professional chocolate fountain guy who comes to my work uses.

MiaT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MiaT Posted 11 May 2007 , 1:49am
post #8 of 13

Semisweet is great for fountains, even bittersweet is good when you consider you are usually dipping very sweet fruits or treats into it. I think milk chocolate would be too sweet once you combine it with the dippers. Bittersweet is more chocolatey, but the fountain wouldn't taste sweet enough for most people.

Oh and in addition to the fruit, try Oreos and Nilla wafers too, although they are tough to get them to stay on the dipping forks icon_wink.gif

indydebi Posted 11 May 2007 , 2:48am
post #9 of 13

I only use milk chocolate in my fountains and I do one almost every weekend.

Caution on the use of brownies, oreos, biscotti or any other kind of cake or cookie: These can drop crumbs into the fountain, which will prevent it from flowing smoothly.

Silver044 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Silver044 Posted 14 May 2007 , 3:53pm
post #10 of 13

Indydebi where did you get your chocolate fountain? I was thinking of offering one with the cake. I saw that they had them at the restaurant supply store but they were over $3K!!! icon_surprised.gif

indydebi Posted 14 May 2007 , 4:06pm
post #11 of 13

Oh, you were looking at the BIG ones!

I have 5 of the smaller ones that you can get at Sam's, Kohl's, etc. What I tell my brides is:

"I use two of the smaller ones and let me tell you why. First, I don't have $4200 to buy a big 5ft tall fountain. (everyone laugh in agreement!) Second, it takes 10-15 lbs of chocolate just to RUN the big fountain, plus what your guests will be eating, and at the end of the night, that 10-15 lbs of chocolate goes right in the trash .... and you're paying for it. Third, I can get a couple of weddings out of 15 lbs of chocolate, so when my costs are lower, then YOUR price is lower. Fourth, with using two of the smaller ones, instead of one of the larger ones, your guests have more access to the fountains so they can get served faster."

My first ones had 3 levels above the bowl. My latest acquisitions have 4 levels above the bowl, so these hold more and I find I rarely have to refill the fountains during a reception. Sometimes .... but rarely.

Silver044 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Silver044 Posted 14 May 2007 , 5:11pm
post #12 of 13

OH thanks! I will have to check out Sam's prices. Your the greatest Indydebi!!

Katrina745 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katrina745 Posted 15 May 2007 , 2:05am
post #13 of 13

I use Dove milk chocolate and it is to die for. I have never had a bad review on it. You have to mix a little veg. oil with it, but it's sooo smoooooth!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%