Help...meringue Buttercream

Decorating By cindww Updated 6 Jun 2006 , 7:36pm by cindww

cindww Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindww Posted 6 Jun 2006 , 5:24pm
post #1 of 11

I've just started making a batch of Collette Peters' Meringue Buttercream. I've stirred the egg whites and sugar in a double boiler until hot and am whipping it until stiff peaks form. I can not get any kind of peak to form, much less a stiff peak. Should I keep beating it or give it up? I don't want to waste the butter if there is no hope for this frosting. Please respond!!!!
I do not think there was any grease in the bowls or anything. I am using egg whites in the little milk-type container. What is wrong???

Cindy

10 replies
knoxcop1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
knoxcop1 Posted 6 Jun 2006 , 5:32pm
post #2 of 11

I think you're supposed to boil the sugar syrup separately from the egg whites.

I think the egg whites are supposed to be whipped up stiff first, then you add the hot sugar syrup in a stream while still whipping?

Please forgive me if I have the wrong recipe!

--Knox--

cindww Posted 6 Jun 2006 , 5:34pm
post #3 of 11

knox...thanks for the reply. the recipe I have has you put them together in a double boiler. I think its a lost cause. I'm going to end having to make my usual wilton buttercream. At least my butter didn't get wasted.

Cindy

knoxcop1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
knoxcop1 Posted 6 Jun 2006 , 5:37pm
post #4 of 11

Oh, I know what you mean!

I can't STAND throwing away something like butter, cake mix, etc.

I actually take lil' bits of food, freeze 'em, and make "hunter" stew every once in while!

I know... icon_smile.gif

--Knox--

moydear77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moydear77 Posted 6 Jun 2006 , 5:48pm
post #5 of 11

I use this type of icing all the time. I split my whites and yolks. It could be that the eggs are pasturized (but I could be completetly wrong!) I have never used the eggs from a carton-I think the ones we carry are a substitue egg white also. Do try again! These buttercreams are sooo good!!

Maryann

Rodneyck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rodneyck Posted 6 Jun 2006 , 6:11pm
post #6 of 11

cindww, there is something odd about that recipe or I am not understanding you correctly. It sounds like a Swiss Meringue recipe to me where you beat the eggs and sugar to 140 degrees, then you transfer them to your whipping bowl and whip on med-high speed until double in volume. Then, change to paddle and add your butter 1 T at a time. (butter should be room temp, but not mushy.) Then beat until you get smooth icing, then add flavorings, etc.

Do not give up on these types of buttercream, they are delicious, not overly sweet and smooth, abet a little tricky to do, but easy once you get the hang.

Rodneyck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rodneyck Posted 6 Jun 2006 , 6:13pm
post #7 of 11

P/S: also make sure your bowls are grease-free, even the slightest residue will prevent your eggs from whipping up properly. I think you can even add a bit of cream of tartar to help the eggs if you are still having problems.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 6 Jun 2006 , 6:15pm
post #8 of 11

Try the Italian meringue buttercream recipe from this site.......I made it and OMMMMMMMMMMMMMGGGGGGGGgggggg it's soooooo yummy........delicious!!! wow....not too sweet nice and fluffy and spreads like a dream!!!!! I made it perfectly on the first try and was soooooooooo happy with the results!!

fearlessbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fearlessbaker Posted 6 Jun 2006 , 6:33pm
post #9 of 11

One day after trying for a vey long time trying to make MBC with the egg whites from a carton I had to give up. This could be the demon. As Rodney says, don't give up on these buttercreams. Once they are mastered they are the best.

gibson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gibson Posted 6 Jun 2006 , 7:35pm
post #10 of 11

I've used the pastureized (spelling???) egg whites from the carton to make IMBC and not a problem, even made it a couple of times! But I boiled the sugar and water first and beat the egg whites until stiff peaks and then added the sugar and water.....I used the IMBC for the cupcakes in my photos and everyone raved about the icing.....so please don't give up you have to try again!

cindww Posted 6 Jun 2006 , 7:36pm
post #11 of 11

Thanks for all of the replies. I will try the italian buttercream from the site, I think. I will also use whole eggs that I've separated myself.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%