Ugliest Cake In The World...where's My Prize?

Decorating By Steph2325 Updated 19 May 2007 , 4:34pm by lilie

Steph2325 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Steph2325 Posted 9 May 2007 , 12:11am
post #1 of 85

I made this birthday cake for my mother in law. Luckily she has a great sense of humor and thought it was the perfect cake for a MIL. The frosting looked exactly like cement. I didn't bother decorating it since it was so ugly. (It was a delish hazelnut cake with a chocolate hazelnut filling though, mmm. You had to close your eyes while eating though.)

Note to self: Never mix different colors of frosting together thinking you'll get a nice navy blue.

Steph
LL

84 replies
JenniferL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferL Posted 9 May 2007 , 12:18am
post #2 of 85

You're awesome for sharing that! thumbs_up.gif It sounded good!

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 9 May 2007 , 12:18am
post #3 of 85

Hehehehehe!!!! It ain't so bad.. really.. if you squint your eyes.. oh heck.. it's ugly icon_wink.gif .. but sounds delicious!!!

laly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laly Posted 9 May 2007 , 12:19am
post #4 of 85

You are cracking me up! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
Oh my! and then it was for your mother in law?

dolfin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolfin Posted 9 May 2007 , 12:19am
post #5 of 85

LOL, you should have put some little hand and foot prints and her name!!! Lucky she's a good sport. And it does sound delicious

lionladydi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lionladydi Posted 9 May 2007 , 12:27am
post #6 of 85

I learned my lesson mixing colors also. Mine came out looking like the color of asphalt. A person only makes so many cakes that have roads on them! icon_lol.gif I kept it around for a while and kept using a little of it to make black for outlining on character cakes. Finally got sick of looking at it and dumped it. Your cake sounds delicious but I have to agree--it's pretty ugly! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Be careful of what your MIL might bake for you on your birthday! icon_evil.gif

Diane

revel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
revel Posted 9 May 2007 , 12:30am
post #7 of 85

Sounds delish! I agree looks alittle scary. I can get past that. lol! But i love your mil she's has a good sense of humour!

doescakestoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doescakestoo Posted 9 May 2007 , 12:32am
post #8 of 85

No that is not the ugliest. I made my husband's 40th cake he requested no black icing. I complied but I did color the cake black (spice cake) cream cheese icing. With a grim ripper. He was floored. It was UGLY.

itsajeepthing0196 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itsajeepthing0196 Posted 9 May 2007 , 12:33am
post #9 of 85

It looks like your cake threw up!!! icon_lol.gif

bthasns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bthasns Posted 9 May 2007 , 12:36am
post #10 of 85

I've seen some pretty "interesting" things, but this takes the cake! (Pun intended) It sounds good though! You are brave for sharing, but I admire that!

lionladydi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lionladydi Posted 9 May 2007 , 12:37am
post #11 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsajeepthing0196

It looks like your cake threw up!!! icon_lol.gif

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif That's a pretty good description!

Diane

MarciaStewart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MarciaStewart Posted 9 May 2007 , 12:39am
post #12 of 85

Looks a little moldy. haha Thanks for the laugh.

ShayShay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShayShay Posted 9 May 2007 , 12:39am
post #13 of 85

hmmmm......my MIL birthday is coming up.....might be an idea!

dabear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dabear Posted 9 May 2007 , 12:41am
post #14 of 85

Aren't you a brave one for sharing! Flavors sound delicious!

Steph2325 Posted 9 May 2007 , 12:43am
post #15 of 85

You guys are cracking me up! I'm dyin' over here.

Dolfin- Dang, why didn't I think of that?! I could've at least made it look like I did it on purpose!

doescakestoo- Did you take a pic? I would love to see some other really bad cakes!

Steph

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 9 May 2007 , 12:52am
post #16 of 85

I hereby bestow upon you "the Golden Pork Rind of Excellence in Honor of the Ugliest Cake of the Year." Congrats! thumbs_up.gif You may take your bows now. icon_biggrin.gif

Tawana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tawana Posted 9 May 2007 , 12:56am
post #17 of 85

Anyone with an infant wouldn't have thought "cement" when they looked at that cake. HA! Thanks for sharing.

gateaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gateaux Posted 9 May 2007 , 1:03am
post #18 of 85

That's a pretty cool sounding cake, the icing color, interesting, too bad, it was not shape a little more oval, could have been an olive! icon_lol.gif
You MIL was a great sport.

When I was 12 I think (26 years ago), I made a cake for my birthday I used green coloring since we had the most of it for the cake, never mind the icing. I then made the icing just white and I forget what on top.
When I started to cut it up, no-one would eat it until I are it. It was just a plain white / well green cake! icon_redface.gif

Just like you said, you just had to close your eyes to eat it!!! icon_lol.gif

Icing color, I remember making cupcakes with my brother when I was 10, my mom was letting us make the icing the color we wanted. We were adding cocoa, and every color we could find. the Icing was this yukki green/black orible looking thing. My mom said, just tell your dad it's licorice color. It tasted ok, but man, never again. Although, I can still see us in the kitchen making it up, it was so much fun!

Good Luck.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 9 May 2007 , 1:05am
post #19 of 85

Remember, when all else fails -- put big, bright gaudy orange flowers on top -- they'll be so stunned about that they won't notice the cement colored icing! icon_wink.gif

notjustcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notjustcake Posted 9 May 2007 , 1:06am
post #20 of 85

I am just laughing my head off!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Looks very poo pish but looks like it tasted very delicious

chocolateandpeanutbutter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chocolateandpeanutbutter Posted 9 May 2007 , 1:11am
post #21 of 85

Thanks, all, for the laughs!

I'm glad I'm sitting down. My dh is wondering what I'm snorting about...

Once I had leftover green icing, and I decided it would be easy to turn into chocolate. HAH! Talk about a disgusting colour! Poo pish indeed! I couldn't bring myself to use it.

*still chuckling*

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 9 May 2007 , 1:20am
post #22 of 85

I just cracked up when I saw the cake! It's a great trait to be able to laugh at yourself .... and be willing to share it!

One of my first weddings, the bride wanted to have 2 bowls of punch. She bought orange and green sherbet to mix in with the punch. BUT .... instead of having a bowl of orange punch and a bowl of green punch, she mixed a little half-n-half of both.

Now think about it. Orange is red and yellow (2 primaries). Green is blue and yellow (2 primaries). Any first year art student can tell you when you mix all 3 primary colors you get black (when they are "pure" primary colors). This bride ended up with 2 bowls of brown punch! ANd you know how lumpy sherbet looks when it's floating around in punch! Lumpy, brown stuff in a bowl. Mmmm.....Mmmmm. Appetizing.

Steph2325 Posted 9 May 2007 , 1:26am
post #23 of 85

I'm laughing so hard I'm crying. icon_cry.gif Your comments are hysterical.

bobwonderbuns: Thank you. I wouldn't have earned this award without all of you here at CC. I am very honored to accept this award. I want to thank my fans for their support, my family for eating this dreadful thing I called cake, and I especially want to thank my mother in law. If it weren't for her, this cake would never have been made and I wouldn't be here today. I will carry this award with pride. *sniffle*sniffle*

Steph

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 9 May 2007 , 3:11am
post #24 of 85

I find this extremely because of something I posted in another thread...

But I have to say it: Your cake is ugly. icon_biggrin.gif

*ducking*

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 9 May 2007 , 3:11am
post #25 of 85

Should have said "Extremely FUNNY"

Steph2325 Posted 9 May 2007 , 3:21am
post #26 of 85

indydebi-

Now that's just damn funny! I'm laughing out loud and people are trying to sleep around here...SHHHHH!

Steph

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 9 May 2007 , 4:11am
post #27 of 85

I can't think of anything to say other than "Oh My!" icon_biggrin.gif

Housemouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Housemouse Posted 9 May 2007 , 6:55am
post #28 of 85

That's a great cow pat colour you have there!

MsRhonda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MsRhonda Posted 9 May 2007 , 7:27am
post #29 of 85

It's early in the a.m. and I couldn't sleep so I came up and logged into CC. The first thing that caught my eye was your title on the homepage of the ugliest cake. I thought to myself "oh, the poor thing! Surely it's not that bad! We've all done a cake that we thought was terrible and it wasn't that bad at all." So I decided that I was going to be the one that would prove you wrong and I was going to be the one that would have your head swelling with pride over your cake by the time I got through with all the marvelous comments I was going to make about your cake

Clicked on post, scrolled to picture and sat there...and stared...and stared...and stared.

Oh sweetie....that is one ugly cake!! BUT...the plate is very very pretty!! LOL

Hope you know that it is all in good fun and thanks for posting the pic.

Hey at least your cake didn't look like a giant dog tick like another cake I had seen did (yeah...sad to say it was mine! Only i didn't have the !@$@! to post the picture. I really admire you...you are my new idol!!!

Thanks for the laugh!!!
Rhonda

Deani Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deani Posted 9 May 2007 , 7:40am
post #30 of 85

When you want that sort of colour to use in a camoflague cake you just can't get it right. This colour would have been perfect for that. There was a thread recently about what colour base to use for just that purpose. You have inadvertantly provided the answer. Find that thread and post your picture on it. Perfect thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%