Can You Freeze Cake Batter?

Decorating By mnmmommy Updated 4 Jun 2006 , 1:49am by SarahJane

mnmmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mnmmommy Posted 3 Jun 2006 , 4:34am
post #1 of 3

Hi, I was just wondering if it okay to freeze cake batter and then use it? Also, how would I thaw it out?

Thanks,
Michelle

2 replies
leta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leta Posted 3 Jun 2006 , 5:44am
post #2 of 3

The only info I have read on this is from the Whimsical Bakehouse regarding Choc Chip Pound Cake:

"Here's a Bakehouse trick: Both this and the Lemon Ginger Cream Cheese Pound cake batter can be frozen in their prepared pans. Bring them to room temperature before baking."

IMO you have a certain window of time in which your baking powder is active. After it starts its work, you may lose the air out of your batter by moving it around. When I have more batter than cupcake tins, the second batch is never the same consistency of the first. There seems to be more air in the batter as the baking powder has had more time to work. And it only takes cupcakes 20 mins to bake.

Not knowing how long the batter will take to freeze or thaw, I would not expect great results or consistent results. Though It's possible you could end up with satisfactory cake.

SarahJane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahJane Posted 4 Jun 2006 , 1:49am
post #3 of 3

Boxed cakes are suppose to be baked immediately after mixing. I wouldn't recommend using old mix.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%