Check This Video Out They Call This A Cream Rose

Decorating By Woole2 Updated 14 May 2007 , 5:25am by martyz

Woole2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Woole2 Posted 8 May 2007 , 6:47pm
post #1 of 49

I love how they make it. It looks easy but probably a bit difficult.
I wish they would just slow it down some..lol.. for the beginners.

48 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 8 May 2007 , 6:48pm
post #2 of 49

That's cool. thanks for sharing.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 8 May 2007 , 7:00pm
post #3 of 49

Looks like regular rose making (though they were making the petals left to right, and I go right to left) just with a huge tip.

ChrisJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChrisJ Posted 8 May 2007 , 7:07pm
post #4 of 49

Cool...looks like she's a "south paw" (leftie)

Woole2 Posted 8 May 2007 , 8:09pm
post #5 of 49

Im a lefty also but wasnt taught that way. I still have a hard time making roses. after they swirl the base on it looks as if they are swirling 3/4 around for the first peddle. I tried to do it this morning but couldnt even get my base to stick to the flower nail..lol. I would also like to know what type of frosting they are using cause it looks very dense.

gunnersgirl5578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gunnersgirl5578 Posted 8 May 2007 , 8:22pm
post #6 of 49

oh man...wish I could make roses like that!

KonfectionKonnection Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KonfectionKonnection Posted 8 May 2007 , 8:23pm
post #7 of 49

The icing does look really dense--and hers certainly doesn't wobble like mine does sometimes--yet she doesn't seem to be struggling, and that's a huge bag of icing she's holding. I definitely need lots more practice . . . .

Woole2 Posted 8 May 2007 , 10:21pm
post #8 of 49

LOL I would pay someone to teach me that way.. We only have wilton instructors out here.

khoudek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
khoudek Posted 9 May 2007 , 1:13am
post #9 of 49

I wouldn't be surprised if the frosting she is using has a high ratio of shortening. It makes it much easier to do the petals. I agree, she's a lefty, which I am too, and she's doing it like I do. Thanks for sharing.

notjustcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notjustcake Posted 9 May 2007 , 1:20am
post #10 of 49

Looks like pastry pride to me

goal4me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goal4me Posted 9 May 2007 , 1:21am
post #11 of 49

Hi ~

I'm a leftie also.
She is not doing the Wilton technique but a variation of it.

Basically she is making the mounded base larger with a bigger tip. The Wilton base is just the size of a Hershey's kiss.

Doing the petals, she is staying alot more horizontal on her petals, when I teach the WIlton rose , I tell the students the petals look like an upside down U.

Does that make it sound any easier!?!?!

Mary Jane
Michael's Moorpark

itsajeepthing0196 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itsajeepthing0196 Posted 9 May 2007 , 1:26am
post #12 of 49

Thanks for sharing! Great Team Work there Woole2! thumbs_up.gif

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 9 May 2007 , 1:28am
post #13 of 49

save icon_smile.gif

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 9 May 2007 , 1:30am
post #14 of 49

Okay, now after reading all your posts I have a question: If you're a lefty you hold the flower nail in your left hand and pipe with your right? icon_confused.gif

I'm a righty and that's how I do it. I'm pretty much a spaz when I try anything left handed. I don't get it! icon_surprised.gif

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 9 May 2007 , 1:35am
post #15 of 49

Left handers hold the bag of icing in their left hand and the nail in their right. They turn the flowernail clockwise rather than counter clockwise like righties.

JaneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaneK Posted 9 May 2007 , 1:39am
post #16 of 49
Quote:
Quote:

Okay, now after reading all your posts I have a question: If you're a lefty you hold the flower nail in your left hand and pipe with your right?

I am a leftie and I hold the flower nail in my right hand and the the icing bag in my left...I roll the flower nail towards my fingertips

Everyone in my class that was right handed did it opposite to me....

edited to say that I just read TexasSugar's posting and she describes it exactly like what I do..we must have posted at the same time!

nutcase68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nutcase68 Posted 9 May 2007 , 1:51am
post #17 of 49

OK, is anybody else having a problem getting the link to open, or does it just not like me? icon_confused.gif All I get is a blank white page. I want to see these roses! icon_cry.gif

Cindy_Gl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cindy_Gl Posted 9 May 2007 , 2:02am
post #18 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by nutcase68

OK, is anybody else having a problem getting the link to open, or does it just not like me? icon_confused.gif All I get is a blank white page. I want to see these roses! icon_cry.gif

Nope, works fine for me.

This is exactly how I make mine when using Richs BETTERcreme. It looks just like the Richs BETTERcreme or else PantryPride. I was privately taught using BETTERcreme ( a representative from the company taught me). I think it's much easier to make roses with than buttercreme. Much easier on the hands and wrist.

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 9 May 2007 , 3:45am
post #19 of 49

Okay, now I feel really stupid, but when I watch this video, I see her holding the flower nail in her left hand and the icing bag in her right. Have I become dyslexic?? icon_eek.gif Why is everyone saying she's a southpaw?

Woole2 Posted 9 May 2007 , 4:11am
post #20 of 49

shes holding the nail with the left hand and has the bag in the right hand so shes a righty..lol.. Also what is BETTERCREAM?? never heard of it. our local cake shop sells the brill cream which to me is way to soft. it doesnt even crust not even a lil bit..

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 9 May 2007 , 4:45am
post #21 of 49

So I'm not seeing things?!!! Hurray! At least I'm not getting crazier.

Look either on CC or do a search for Rich's Bettercream. It's suppose to be a non-dairy type of buttercream, I believe, but I know when I went to do a cake for a girl with allergies and I sent her mom the link to the ingredients, it does contain something found in dairy that her daughter couldn't have. I never used it myself though so I don't have too much info. I believe it's best use is for those who are lactose intolerant.

I'm sure others here will be able to give you a better answer though.

I'm not any more crazy than before. I'm not losing any more marbles....I'm not any more - Ah, a white coat!! RUN!! Just kidding.

Cindy_Gl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cindy_Gl Posted 9 May 2007 , 11:23am
post #22 of 49

Bettercreme is probably just like Brill creme (I've never used Brill creme). It is very soft and it doesn't crust. It's the stuff you find on Wal-Mart cakes (the non dairy whipped tasting frosting). I personally prefer the taste of buttercreme, but I find it easier to decorate with the BEttercreme. (probably cause I was taught with it)

Woole2 Posted 9 May 2007 , 3:35pm
post #23 of 49

Well Ive tried and tried to make the rose like in the video and just cant seem to. So I will go buy the bigger rose tip and see if that makes a different and if it dont then its just me. I just cant seem to get my frosting to stick on the nail without moving all over the place..lol.. I want it to be STABLE like in the video.

Angela

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 9 May 2007 , 6:35pm
post #24 of 49

Rich's bettercream is just like cool whip except in comes in as a liquid and you whip it up yourself. Tastes just like cool whip too. mmm... chemical soup.... icon_smile.gif

LaSombra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaSombra Posted 9 May 2007 , 7:39pm
post #25 of 49

The thing I found most interesting was the way the bag was striped. It looks like they've put a line of frosting on the side. I was always taught to just paint a line down the side of the bag with the gel coloring but it might be nicer to pipe a line of darker frosting along the side? Anyone else do it this way?

and yeah, I agree that it looks like Bettercreme or Pastry Pride...maybe they make their own whipped frosting. That's what I do and it pipes like that too. icon_smile.gif

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 9 May 2007 , 7:49pm
post #26 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaSombra

The thing I found most interesting was the way the bag was striped. It looks like they've put a line of frosting on the side. I was always taught to just paint a line down the side of the bag with the gel coloring but it might be nicer to pipe a line of darker frosting along the side? Anyone else do it this way? ........

They make small bags that can be inserted into the regular icing bag so that you can use more than one color at a time. It's a bit different than the stripe.

marthajo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marthajo1 Posted 9 May 2007 , 7:59pm
post #27 of 49

When I made the roses on my flopped cake I striped the inside of the bag with frosting. It looked great but.... The color was not consistent for all the roses. I know it was more like nature but... I would like to try the saran insert trick for an accent color! The key is to stripe the correct side of the bag! icon_lol.gif

LaSombra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaSombra Posted 9 May 2007 , 8:41pm
post #28 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar_Plum_Fairy

They make small bags that can be inserted into the regular icing bag so that you can use more than one color at a time. It's a bit different than the stripe.

so where do you get these smaller bags then? It sounds very interesting. Like Marthajo said, it's not very consistent to do the striping but I do love striping. This just looks like it might be a better way.

Katskakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katskakes Posted 9 May 2007 , 8:53pm
post #29 of 49

wow! i wish i was that good and that fast with flowers. i s*ck at them.
practice, makes perfect - huh!?

jjbrink Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jjbrink Posted 9 May 2007 , 8:58pm
post #30 of 49

wow, that was pretty cool. i can never make my roses like they say to do it in the wilton book.... i will have to try it this way. thanks for the video thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%