Will Gumpaste Become Soft If....

Decorating By mymichelle04 Updated 3 Jun 2006 , 6:09am by leta

mymichelle04 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mymichelle04 Posted 2 Jun 2006 , 8:46pm
post #1 of 7

Hey you all! I have made fondant decorations and put them on buttercream (after they were all dried and hard) and the fondant started to soften up again. Will a mixture of half gumpaste and half fondant do the same thing? Or will it only work with all gumpaste?

6 replies
mymichelle04 Posted 2 Jun 2006 , 9:34pm
post #2 of 7

Anyone????

Liis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Liis Posted 2 Jun 2006 , 10:16pm
post #3 of 7

i don't really know, i believe that if your fondant piece is dry it shouldn't start melting immidiately. i beleive if you use gumpaste mix with fondant it would be pretty much the same. try to dry them well before putting them on top it shouldn't happen then. imo,make them at least 3 days before.

prettycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prettycake Posted 2 Jun 2006 , 10:25pm
post #4 of 7

How long did you dry your FOndant decorations ? a good 3-4 days ?
There has to be some kind of moisture trapped somewhere and it affected your Fondant. icon_smile.gif

mymichelle04 Posted 2 Jun 2006 , 11:36pm
post #5 of 7

I let the pieces dry for about two days. The pieces didn't start softening right away. I was assuming that the pieces started to soften b/c they were sitting on a dollop of buttercream.

KarenOR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KarenOR Posted 3 Jun 2006 , 2:58am
post #6 of 7

I think the mixture of the two will harden better and take longer to soften up. Did you place them in the BC or did you use BC to stick them to other fondant? If you stuck them in the BC, then it's going to soften. If it's fondant to fondant, then use water instead and that should help.
You want to let them dry pretty hard if you are sticking them to BC and they are going to be there for a while before consumed.

leta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leta Posted 3 Jun 2006 , 6:09am
post #7 of 7

Why do you want them to be hard? You could make them out of pastillage if you want them to be really hard. Or you could apply them within a few hours of when you are serving the cake. If I was slicing the cake or eating it, I probably wouldn't have a problem with them being soft.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%