I Need To Make A Diabetic Cake.. Have ??'s

Decorating By aviles2005 Updated 8 May 2007 , 7:10pm by jmt1714

aviles2005 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aviles2005 Posted 8 May 2007 , 4:59pm
post #1 of 4

In the recipes section theres a recipe that calls for Sorbitol ... WHATS THAT????? ANY ONE KNOW.. can i find it at the local grocery store

3 replies
realms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
realms Posted 8 May 2007 , 5:23pm
post #2 of 4

Sorbitol is a sugar alcohol that is found in most sugar substitute products. Sugar substitute in large quantities still affect sugar levels for a diabetic and also acts as a diuretic. I used to use splenda when making anything for my Mom who has type 2 diabetes and it still affected her sugar levels. For some time now we have switched to stevia which is derived from plant leaves, is sweeter than sugar and won't affect blood sugar levels. We buy our stevia from:

www.onlysweet.com

www.sweetleaf.com

You can also find some recipes for stevia here:

www.cookingwithstevia.com

Hope that helps! icon_smile.gif

aviles2005 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aviles2005 Posted 8 May 2007 , 5:55pm
post #3 of 4

You provided very helpful information, thanks so much im goint to look into that for future orders. I have an order for thursday. Im going to have to use splenda if i cant fint Sorbitol. I dont want the lady to die cause of me..

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 8 May 2007 , 7:10pm
post #4 of 4

eating a piece of cake, even regular cake, isn't going to kill her. I'm sure she is well aware of the issues she has to deal with and should adjust her insulin dosages accordingly. Speaking as someone whose mother has a sweet tooth and Type II and whose boyfriend has Type I.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%