Storage Bins For Sugar And Flour

Business By JavaJunkieChrissy Updated 17 May 2007 , 11:18pm by bcortez01

JavaJunkieChrissy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JavaJunkieChrissy Posted 8 May 2007 , 1:18am
post #1 of 14

I am on the look out for nice bins to put my flour and sugar in. I'm not sure if just ordinary bins like from Walmart would do the trick or if I need somthing that's a little fancier. I know that I want a nice lid because I have a knack for whipping off lids and cracking them if they are too inexpensive...yea, I get too excited to get at the goods!! icon_eek.gif

TIA,

Chrissy

13 replies
mom2seven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2seven Posted 8 May 2007 , 1:33am
post #2 of 14

What size are you looking for?

cocorum21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocorum21 Posted 8 May 2007 , 1:42am
post #3 of 14

http://www.bestcontainers.com/index.html

i found this a while ago. I haven't ordered from them yet but they have alot of variety

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 8 May 2007 , 1:53am
post #4 of 14

I like the metal trash cans with the plastic liners that you can step on to raise the lid (helps when scooping out your ingredients). The liners come out to wash, and the larger can hold a 50 lb. bag of flour or sugar. And they are less expensive than the cambro ones at $200 each.

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 8 May 2007 , 3:47am
post #5 of 14

i buy 25lb bags of flour from sams, By the way the flour price has doubled recently, any way i fill a plastic bucket that originally had icing in it, thats all i really have room for.

JavaJunkieChrissy Posted 8 May 2007 , 3:55am
post #6 of 14

Right now I just need smaller sizes. I do buy somethings in 50# bags but not flour...yet. I have plenty of storage space and my hubby tells me to get what I think I will need 2 years from now. I'll have to take a look at the web site.

I love the can idea.

Thanks,

Chrissy

cakesbyamym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyamym Posted 8 May 2007 , 4:55am
post #7 of 14

I use 5-gallon buckets. I have one for flour, sugar and powdered sugar. Right now, I'm limited on space...my cake business has taken over my entire kitchen. My DH is planning on converting our garage next summer, so that will free up a lot of space and I can have something larger for storage. Right now, these do the trick perfectly.

Amy

CakesByEllen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByEllen Posted 8 May 2007 , 3:53pm
post #8 of 14

do you have to worry about them specifically saying food safe? Where do you get the 5 gallon buckets? I'm thinking of the kind they have at Home Depot, but dont' know if the plastic is food safe? What kind of can liners do you use too?

Kayakado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kayakado Posted 16 May 2007 , 1:43pm
post #9 of 14

Check the yellow pages for restaurant supply stores, many sell to the public too. That's where I buy bulk storage containers and hotel pans for organized storage.

JavaJunkieChrissy Posted 16 May 2007 , 3:07pm
post #10 of 14

Good idea. I know I have a supply store about 45 minutes from my house. I've never been there.

I thought that MAYBE Sams might have something. I'm going to check them out too.

Thanks

Tscookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tscookies Posted 17 May 2007 , 12:34am
post #11 of 14

When I was looking for bins, thought I was saving money by going to Home Depot and buying some of the empty 5 gal buckets in the paint dept. I sanitized them and then filled them up with flour and sugar. A few weeks later, I noticed that my powdered sugar didn't smell right. I talked this over w/another baker and that's when I began to learn how plastics are not all food-safe. Even plastic bags can have odors which will get into your food products. So, I went to a restaurant supply store and bought some nice containers by Cadco. Not too expensive after all - think I spent $22 for an 18qt container w/the lid. I love the square & rect. shapes because they stack nicely.

momsandraven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momsandraven Posted 17 May 2007 , 3:09am
post #12 of 14

Brandibakes,
Do you have a link or photo so I can see what you're talking about? I just can't picture what it is at the moment... tia!

JavaJunkieChrissy Posted 17 May 2007 , 1:03pm
post #13 of 14

TScookies......thanks for that tip. I'll do a search and see what I can find on the web for that brand storage container.

I've submitted my paperwork for my township...just waiting on them. Then I'll do my pantry and buy all of my storage containters and shelving. I haven't really started to look yet....I've been putting my feelers out and getting some input here!

Thanks! thumbs_up.gif

bcortez01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bcortez01 Posted 17 May 2007 , 11:18pm
post #14 of 14

I actually bought mine at The Container Store. What I found were some containers that originally are made to keep the pet food in and it has a flip top that is air tight. Another plus about these container was that they had wheels on them, so I just roll it from my pantry to the kitchen when I needed it. Works really great! I'm happy w/it. Also those large bags from Costo or Sam's fit right on in, I just slice the top and drop the bag in. I bought two for my sugars and I'm going back for another for my flour.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%