Earlene's Cake Recipes

Baking By edencakes Updated 25 Mar 2014 , 3:06am by crimsonhair

edencakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
edencakes Posted 1 Jun 2006 , 2:46am
post #1 of 16

I was just wondering... have any of you tried Earlene's cake recipes? I have white and chocolate recipes which I always use and I like them a lot, as do my customers. I was just reading her recipes though and wondered if they might be a little more... "WOW"? If you've tried them, how do you like them?

(here's a link, if anyone's interested): http://www.earlenescakes.com/recipes.htm

15 replies
cakesbyallison Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyallison Posted 1 Jun 2006 , 2:57am
post #2 of 16

I'm curious too! I have used Butavan... didn't taste a "wow" difference, but it was good (enhances the chocolate). I want to make the home brew, but haven't yet. Anyone?!!

edencakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
edencakes Posted 1 Jun 2006 , 4:04pm
post #3 of 16

Thanks Allison! I was wondering about Butavan, and about the 'home brew'... I wonder if anyone else here has had any experience?

Anybody?

darkchocolate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darkchocolate Posted 1 Jun 2006 , 6:21pm
post #4 of 16

I just ordered some Butavan Tuesday. I am hoping I will like it. I plan making some chocolate chips cookies with it first. I will make two batches, one with pure vanilla and one with butavan. I want to be able to test the cookies and see if anyone can tell a difference. I also have a blueberry muffin I want to try it in. Actually the muffin recipe calls for Butavan.

I wil also be trying it in my cakes.

darkchocolate

MomLittr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomLittr Posted 1 Jun 2006 , 6:27pm
post #5 of 16

What the heck is Butavan?

darkchocolate Posted 1 Jun 2006 , 6:30pm
post #6 of 16

Butavan is rich "Buttery/Vanilla Plus" emulsion that is a thick and very strong flavoring. It adds richness to all your cake, cookies, icing and pudding flavors. Use instead of vanilla in all your recipes.

darkchocolate

darkchocolate Posted 1 Jun 2006 , 6:35pm
post #7 of 16

MomLittr,

I forgot to mention that I used the search engine on this site and used www.google.com to search for information of butavan. Hopefully this will help.

darkchocolate

MomLittr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomLittr Posted 2 Jun 2006 , 1:48am
post #8 of 16

I was wondering if it was similar to the vanilla/butter/nut flavoring that McCormick's sells, but this sounds a bit stronger in flavor.......where would I find it?

darkchocolate Posted 2 Jun 2006 , 2:07am
post #9 of 16

I don't think you will find it in a grocery store. You might find it in a bakery supply store.

Here is a weblink

http://sugarcraft.com/catalog/misc/flavorings.htm

http://www.cakecraftshoppe.com//proddetail.asp?id=1428&mcatshow=0

http://www.cakecarousel.com/suppliesrentals/cake.htm

http://www.earlenescakes.com./store/flavors.html

I hope this helps.

darkchocolate

darkchocolate Posted 4 Jun 2006 , 9:41pm
post #10 of 16

I wanted to share what I found out about emulsions.

Kitchen Krafts

Specially formulated for use in bakery products where exposure to heat during baking tends to flash-off flavors. The vegetable gums in the emulsion base helps to retain flavor during baking.

Available in lemon, orange, almond, banana and vanilla. Try them all!
http://www.kitchenkrafts.com/product.asp?pn=FL0930&bhcd2=1149457033

darkchocolate

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 5 Jun 2006 , 4:32am
post #11 of 16

I just purchased the butovan (and the strawberry) flavors from Earlene's. I do not care for the flavor......now, I have only tried it in a chocolate cake so far - but it really altered the flavoring, made something overwhelm the chocolate, not enhance it IMO. (I could not figure out which flavor was the culprit there either.....vanilla or butter??) I am leaning towards it being the "butter" part - the "butter" flavorings leave a bad taste in my mouth too.

I have to add here too, that I am very sensitive to "off" flavors...I can taste a cake that has been frozen from a mile away, I don't know if that has any thing to do with me being senstivive to certain flavorings or not. icon_sad.gif

darkchocolate Posted 5 Jun 2006 , 9:53am
post #12 of 16

Quadcrew, I am sorry you were disappointed in your Butuvan. I double checked mine and it is not an emulsion, it is a liquid like an extract. I haven't baked with it yet but I will use it this week. I do have some lemon emulsion I am looking forward to trying soon.

I also tried Creme Bouquet for the first time yesterday and used too much. Next time I won't use as much. I also noticed an after taste that I didn't like. I have read so many great things about Cream Bouquet that I will keep trying. I was reading last night where Creme Bouquet is an enhancer and I was using more as a flavoring in addition to almond extract. Next time I will use about 1/4 to 1/2 tsp. and go from there.

darkchocolate

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 5 Jun 2006 , 1:49pm
post #13 of 16

You know, maybe I used too much. I will try it again and use 1/4 or 1/2 of a teaspoon and see how that goes. Mine is not a liquid - it is very thick and it has an odd consistency - does not "stick" to the spoon (does that make sense?)

I love the smell of it!

fourangelsmommie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fourangelsmommie Posted 19 Jul 2006 , 10:03pm
post #14 of 16

How much of it are you supposed to use in your recipes? I ordered mine from Earlene's and bought the small size, which doesn't have directions on it. I have never used it before.

How much do you use? Can you put it in cakes? Icings? Fondant? etc.

Thanks!

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 19 Jul 2006 , 11:16pm
post #15 of 16

I was just on earlene's cake site today and she has posted on the home page that the company that makes the butavan has gone out of business and that she is only selling the small jars now.
She is in the process of looking for a similar flavoring.

crimsonhair Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crimsonhair Posted 25 Mar 2014 , 3:06am
post #16 of 16

AYes I use her recipes all the time for wedding cakes and birthday cakes . I omit the alcohol for kids birthday cakes . They are always delicious and hold up well when decorating . I even freeze them and they seem even better after being frozen .

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%