Thaw My Cakes

Decorating By tootsa Updated 1 Jun 2006 , 2:34pm by rhondie

tootsa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootsa Posted 31 May 2006 , 9:08pm
post #1 of 6

i have several cakes that i'd like to start decorating friday morning. when should i remove them from the freezer? When I do remove them, do I leave them in the foil and saran wrap or take it all off?

Thanks!

5 replies
Coastiemom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coastiemom Posted 31 May 2006 , 9:37pm
post #2 of 6

Most of my clients remark about how moist my cakes always are. Of course, I tell them it's my secret! The secret is to fill and crumb coat the cakes while they are still frozen. I have had great sucess with this method. I have also found that if I thaw them completely first, they fall apart during the crumb coating. I guess all the moisture is locked inside the cake while it is still frozen and doesn't excape if it is sealed before thawing. I don't put the final coat of icing on until several hours later or the next day though, just in case something decides to fall off. Hasn't happened yet but anything is possible!

Coastiemom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coastiemom Posted 31 May 2006 , 9:38pm
post #3 of 6

Most of my clients remark about how moist my cakes always are. Of course, I tell them it's my secret! The secret is to fill and crumb coat the cakes while they are still frozen. I have had great sucess with this method. I have also found that if I thaw them completely first, they fall apart during the crumb coating. I guess all the moisture is locked inside the cake while it is still frozen and doesn't excape if it is sealed before thawing. I don't put the final coat of icing on until several hours later or the next day though, just in case something decides to fall off. Hasn't happened yet but anything is possible!

patton78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patton78 Posted 31 May 2006 , 9:51pm
post #4 of 6

I always remove my cake 1 to 2 hours before I plan to frost them. You need to take off all the wrapping so the condensation won't make your cakes soggy.

DeniseMarlaine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseMarlaine Posted 1 Jun 2006 , 12:25am
post #5 of 6

Wow, there are so many differing opinions on this. I've been told you should keep it wrapped during thawing, and and also that you should unwrap it before thawing. I've only done it once and I did leave it wrapped till it had thawed out (I took it out of the freezer the night before decorating). The cake was a little sticky on top (which was removed when I leveled it) but otherwise fine. In fact, I got rave reviews--my family said it was the best cake I'd ever baked and so moist it didn't need ice cream icon_lol.gif !

rhondie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rhondie Posted 1 Jun 2006 , 2:34pm
post #6 of 6

I have always wondered where the condensation goes if the frozen cake was left to thaw in its wrapper? My thought was it would make the cake soggy and wet? I have always thawed my frozen cakes out of the wrapper and they turn out great, very, very moist!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%