Need A Few Ideas

Decorating By cakesbgood Updated 1 Jun 2006 , 1:36pm by cakesbgood

cakesbgood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbgood Posted 31 May 2006 , 6:35pm
post #1 of 10

My youngest sons elementary school is closing down after school lets out next week. The school has been here forever!! My mother even went to it when she was in elem. lol. BUT, there has been a very nice, large new school built to replace it icon_biggrin.gif . So I was thinking I would like to make a cake to take into the staff next Monday, the last day of school for them is next Thursday. I was just trying to come up with a nice idea of what to put on the cake for this kind of occasion, the school closing after sooo many years of being there. I thought maybe you all could help come up with something special that I could do thumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif Because I don't have any grand ideas at this point but would really like to take something nice in for them. Thanks!! icon_biggrin.gif

9 replies
FunCakesVT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FunCakesVT Posted 31 May 2006 , 6:41pm
post #2 of 10

Either a schoolhouse (3-D) or a cake with the image of the actual building or the entrance replicated on it?

I am sure others will think of more exciting things, but at least it's a bump!

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 31 May 2006 , 7:33pm
post #3 of 10

I think that idea for the school house could be fun. You could probably use the Wilton House pan to do it - or you may have another idea. If you have any pictures of the school over the years (from yearbooks, etc.) you could do a "yearbook" cake with the Wilton book cake pan. I'm not quite sure how they did this, but I think there's instructions for something similar on the Wilton site. They also have these neat seperator plates and you can put images on them and wrap them with acetate (comes with the plate). Although that would make it a tiered cake which may be much more than you're looking to do, you could still do very small tiers and it could turn out good. Good luck! : icon_biggrin.gif

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 31 May 2006 , 7:42pm
post #4 of 10

I think it could be nice to do either a 3-D of the old building..........or maybe even do a 1/2 sheet cake with a photo of the old school and a photo of the new school.....maybe make a little bridge connecting the two with fondant........and have a nice saying about...moving on or something???

cakesbgood Posted 31 May 2006 , 11:36pm
post #5 of 10

I like those ideas so far! I have a picture of the school now, or what is the old school, from yearbooks. But don't have a picture of the new one, it's still under some construction, I imagine they'll be working on that the rest of the summer to finish it up in time. The building itself is up, don't know how far along the inside is at this point, and the outside still needs like the parking lot paved, grass, etc. But it'll be opening this coming fall for the new school year. Hmmm, trying to decide whether to do the 3-D school house, or something larger. Love the school house idea just not sure if it would be enough to feed everyone. Or like you said Khalstead, I could do two and bridge them together. Thanks everyone, keep the ideas coming, I still have time to decide on what to do lol thumbs_up.gif

kthomas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kthomas Posted 31 May 2006 , 11:47pm
post #6 of 10

what about making the top of a cake look like a chalkboard with something nice (maybe the date the school opened to it's closing date) written in white icing to look like chalk? You could make a piece of chalk out of white fondant and pipe other teacher-y details like apples or "ABC's" on the chalkboard.

Just a thought!

DeniseMarlaine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseMarlaine Posted 31 May 2006 , 11:55pm
post #7 of 10

If you really want to do the school house but need a bigger cake, could you stack it on a sheet cake? And maybe add some trees, grass, and a sidewalk (maybe with hopscotch on it)? Would it be possible to do fondant playground equipment? I'm just throwing out ideas here--no idea how to do most of them icon_lol.gif .

skylightsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
skylightsky Posted 1 Jun 2006 , 12:34am
post #8 of 10

Photo of the old school in older days might be easy and appealing... it allows a sheet cake. Easy for Transfer, etc.

The 3-d sounds wonderful. You could attempt both and have the photo as a backup?

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 1 Jun 2006 , 1:15am
post #9 of 10
cakesbgood Posted 1 Jun 2006 , 1:36pm
post #10 of 10

I was actually thinking about a chalkboard to! I love all the ideas icon_biggrin.gif . What a wonderful saying Doug, I really like that! I like the hopscotch idea on a sidewalk to! I think I'm going to stick to the old school for this cake. The new school is going to have a new name also. What they've done was closed 2 schools, and are combining them both into the new one. So I think whatever I go with I'm going to keep it in a theme with the old school that their in now. And I think I'll definitely do the dates from opening to close somewhere on the cake. Wow, I have alot to think about now lol, their all great ideas!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%