Lettering On A Cake?

Decorating By honeyscl Updated 7 May 2007 , 6:05pm by honeyscl

honeyscl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
honeyscl Posted 7 May 2007 , 2:31pm
post #1 of 15

I have been asked to make a cake with a list of names on it.

I'm not so good at lettering, but will be practicing a lot between now and then.

My question is how to make sure I'm keeping the text straight. The few times I've written on cakes before I have done a freehand thing that disguises the fact that I couldn't hold a straight line with the text.

Anyone have any ideas? I don't want this to look crappy as it's going to be a complimentary cake to a professional cake he's buying from a local bakery.

Thanks,
Sharon

14 replies
FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 7 May 2007 , 2:50pm
post #2 of 15

Try doing it with royal icing on parchment paper.. let it dry.. peel off carefully and put on the cake. You can print the text from your computer.. put it under the parchment paper and just trace it. Of if you have time.. you can order some sugarveil icing mix and use that. The sugarveil will stay pliable for some time even when it's dry and might be easier to peel off and apply to the cake. You don't have to use the special tool that they sell to go with the sugarveil.. just a small tip.. like a #2 or #1 round tip. Good luck!

JavaJunkieChrissy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JavaJunkieChrissy Posted 7 May 2007 , 2:55pm
post #3 of 15

I've used the parchement paper idea and that work nicely. Plus you can write it out as many times as you want to and pick the nicest one.

Over the weekend I had a sheet cake that I had to write on. I went to Michaels and pickup up a Wilton set that has plastic letters in it and it comes with a plastic strip that you slide the letters into. You let your icing firm up and then press the letters into it to leave an impression. This was you can trace over it with your icing. I liked it and it word nicely for me. It's not standard block print it italics print so it's a little fancier looking. It's in my gallery if you want to see the script.

HTH,

Chrissy

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 7 May 2007 , 3:04pm
post #4 of 15

I usually just hold my breath and wing it......however I have heard that those lazer levelers are great for this....they produce a red lazer light so you can set it next to your cake (on something so it's the same level as the top of the cake) and it will cast the red line straight across your cake and you can use that as a guide!!! I haven't bought one myself but if I ever remember I'm going to get one lol

doescakestoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doescakestoo Posted 7 May 2007 , 3:10pm
post #5 of 15

I had heard of the leveler. Keep forgetting to get one. Husband won't let me go with him to Lowes. I am always thinking outside the box, and he says he can't afford me.

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 7 May 2007 , 3:11pm
post #6 of 15

I do the writing before any other decoration is on the cake (just base iced) ... and I refrigerate it to firm up the icing. Then, I lay a sheet of parchment paper on top of the cake (lay it lightly on top so it doesn't disturb your icing) and use the edge as a guideline for keeping my writing straight. I always had to do this when offices ordered cakes with 20 names on them. Ugh.

KittisKakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KittisKakes Posted 7 May 2007 , 3:14pm
post #7 of 15

On your computer, print up your list exactly how you want it to look on the cake, size and all. Then using a toothpick or a corsage pin, poke holes through the lettering, to make a stencil. Once your cake has crusted and been smoothed out. Lay the sheet of paper on the cake where you want it. Gently smooth your hand over the writing, where the holes are (just like you would with a Viva paper towel). The perforated holes will leave an imprint on the cake. Then you just pipe over the imprint and Voila - you will always have straight and even handwriting.

sarahnichole975 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahnichole975 Posted 7 May 2007 , 3:14pm
post #8 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

I usually just hold my breath and wing it......however I have heard that those lazer levelers are great for this....they produce a red lazer light so you can set it next to your cake (on something so it's the same level as the top of the cake) and it will cast the red line straight across your cake and you can use that as a guide!!! I haven't bought one myself but if I ever remember I'm going to get one lol

Oh that is such a good idea! I have one in the utility room and NEVER thought of it! THANK YOU! Not like DH uses it to do anything around the house.... icon_confused.gif I might as well put it to work.

McMama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
McMama Posted 7 May 2007 , 3:17pm
post #9 of 15

I also do something similar to BrandisBaked. I lay a papertowel on the cake and use as a guide to keep my lettering level.
I have also done lettering in RI. If you quickly spritz the wax paper with a cooking spray, the letters will release a bit easier. I sometimes lay the letters and wax paper upside down and then gently pull paper away from RI. It helps to sometimes use a toothpick to coax lettering off the wax paper. A bit time consuming, but worth it.

KittisKakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KittisKakes Posted 7 May 2007 , 3:18pm
post #10 of 15

I love the idea of the laser level. Geez, you guys are smart!!

sarahnichole975 - I see you're from Marrero, I grew up there!! Went to elementary at VOL then moved to Metairie and went to high school at King. Great to see someone from that area!!

ibteana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibteana Posted 7 May 2007 , 3:29pm
post #11 of 15

I did a cake with names this weekend. My penmanship is terrible, to say the least. I made little strips out of fondant for each persons name. If I messed up I pitched it and did it again. I then placed each little banner/strip on the cake. It turned out good and added dimention.

GeminiKim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiKim Posted 7 May 2007 , 3:33pm
post #12 of 15

I cheat and use the letter stencils from Wilton.

jeking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jeking Posted 7 May 2007 , 4:07pm
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittisKakes

On your computer, print up your list exactly how you want it to look on the cake, size and all. Then using a toothpick or a corsage pin, poke holes through the lettering, to make a stencil. Once your cake has crusted and been smoothed out. Lay the sheet of paper on the cake where you want it. Gently smooth your hand over the writing, where the holes are (just like you would with a Viva paper towel). The perforated holes will leave an imprint on the cake. Then you just pipe over the imprint and Voila - you will always have straight and even handwriting.

I love this idea...can't wait to try it.

sweetness11379 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetness11379 Posted 7 May 2007 , 4:37pm
post #14 of 15

Man! I love you guys. I use the Wilton letter set too but the laser and the stensil idea.... amazing ideas! Much more useful when you have to write alot or squeeze them in to a certain area. I can't wait to try them!

honeyscl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
honeyscl Posted 7 May 2007 , 6:05pm
post #15 of 15

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

I was really starting to stress out over this. Now I have like four different methods to try.

You guys are fabulous!

Sharon

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%