Making Fur For Bear

Decorating By mindy74 Updated 31 May 2006 , 7:44pm by FunCakesVT

mindy74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mindy74 Posted 31 May 2006 , 3:16pm
post #1 of 5

Hi to everyone-
I'm fairly new to cake decorating, and for my sister's b-day, I'm making a little koala bear (she loves them) and putting it on top of a regular 10" round. I bought the Wilton 3-D mini-bear and am planning on doing a practice run since I've never worked with a 3-D pan before. I've read previous threads about using the pound cake recipe for the pan, which I'll do.
My main question is: what kind of icing is best for the 233 tip to make the fur? I know buttercream, but is a stiffer consistency better? Also, any tips on actually using the 233 tip to make the fur would be appreciated. It'll be my first time using this tip.
I've learned so much from this site just by browsing...TIA for any help!
Mindy

4 replies
mhill91801 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mhill91801 Posted 31 May 2006 , 3:22pm
post #2 of 5

I don't think a stiffer consistency is really better, the "fur" could possibly break off if it was too stiff. I would use medium. My advice for the tip would be to practice on wax paper or something before on the cake to get a feel for the tip. (the right pressure and when to lift, etc) That is my favorite tip to use! Have fun with it!

mindy74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mindy74 Posted 31 May 2006 , 7:00pm
post #3 of 5

thanks for the advice! I was thinking the same thing about the consistency, that stiff might be hard to squeeze out nicely. I have off tomorrow and will try it out.

pinkopossum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkopossum Posted 31 May 2006 , 7:07pm
post #4 of 5

mhill is right. medium icing would be the best for making fur. stiff icing would most likely caused jagged ends.

FunCakesVT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FunCakesVT Posted 31 May 2006 , 7:44pm
post #5 of 5

Another concurrence...I used medium on the bunnies I did for Easter and the fur came out nice, without breaking off or being smushy and falling into itself...Takes a few minutes to get a feel for the pressure, pulling away, etc. but then it's quick and fun! Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%