Tiered Cake Orders

Decorating By thecakemaker Updated 11 May 2005 , 8:34pm by tcturtleshell

thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 11 May 2005 , 7:09pm
post #1 of 11

All the cakes i've made and i've never made a tiered cake.

I now have orders for a 3 tiered (pillared) 50th wedding anniversary cake for 75 people and a 2 tiered wedding cake for 40 people (keeping the top cake for their anniversary). The bride wanted stacked but doesn't want the icing from the bottom layer to stick to the anniversary cake board so she might go with pillared.

I'm excited and nervous! icon_biggrin.gif

10 replies
Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 11 May 2005 , 7:13pm
post #2 of 11

Congrats on the orders! The bride could still get stacked. If you dust under the board with powdered sugar, it won't stick. TC uses coconut under hers.

Mable_21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mable_21 Posted 11 May 2005 , 7:16pm
post #3 of 11

The Wilton course 3 book has a lot of info on tiered cakes. If you can get your hands on one of those it may help. I am working on a 3 tier cake right now.. I plan to stack them but use fondant so nothing will stick.
You will do great!

thecakemaker Posted 11 May 2005 , 7:21pm
post #4 of 11

Thanks! I told the bride about using powdered sugar ~ she's thinking about it. She does want all buttercream. Basically a white buttercream cake with yellow roses and a topper yet to be picked.

The anniversary cake just has to be "3 tiered with pillars and whatever you think". She gave me the gold "50" topper with the frilly white around it from Wilton to put on it too.

Sometimes it's harder when they don't tell you what they want. I have a million ideas ~ I just have to pick one!

Debbie

chixbaby27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chixbaby27 Posted 11 May 2005 , 7:25pm
post #5 of 11

I've only done one stacked cake...but if she wanted stacked, could you use two cake boards on the top layer? That way she could just use the top board and do away with the bottom one with icing on the bottom?

I don't know if that would work or not, but if the boards aren't thick, it shouldn't make much of a difference.

I'm in Wilton Course 3 and anxious to do a tiered cake.

thecakemaker Posted 11 May 2005 , 7:28pm
post #6 of 11

I think she's more worried about losing the icing off of the cake that will be served.

I have to book from the Wilton III class ~ I just didn't take the class! Now I can put it to use.

Thank you though...
Debbie

chixbaby27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chixbaby27 Posted 11 May 2005 , 7:30pm
post #7 of 11

Ahhh, I see.

icon_smile.gif

The lady that did my wedding cake used coconut, too.

thecakemaker Posted 11 May 2005 , 7:37pm
post #8 of 11

Thanks ~ I can rocommend that to her too.

Debbie

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 11 May 2005 , 8:27pm
post #9 of 11

Hey Debbie,

How about doing the bottom 2 tiers stacked together & doing the top tier on pillars? That way you'll have both looks they want & your cake will not stick~ That would be very pretty~

I've seen your cakes & they are great! You won't have any problems doing this cake~ Happy Baking!!

thecakemaker Posted 11 May 2005 , 8:31pm
post #10 of 11

I might just do that on the anniversary cake. The one that was worrying about it sticking was the wedding cake and it is just a two tier for 40 people. I also told her that if she wanted we could do two separate cakes side by side if she wanted. Thanks for the idea and the vote of confidence!

Debbie

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 11 May 2005 , 8:34pm
post #11 of 11

You are very welcome! You'll do a great job~

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%