Cake Or Fake???

Decorating By IHATEFONDANT Updated 6 May 2007 , 8:19pm by indydebi

IHATEFONDANT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IHATEFONDANT Posted 6 May 2007 , 7:23pm
post #1 of 4

I finally had the time to check out the photos from the 2006 Oklahoma Cake show. Some of those cakes were breathtaking.

But it made me wonder just how many of them could be done with "real" cake?

Forget the cost but cake is not forgiving like styrofoam shapes. I just wonder how many of those designs would work with real cake.

When judging the quality of a cake does it matter if "real" cake is used or if the "cake" is styrofoam?

Personally I would judge a competitor on whether they used real cake or dummies giving the person who did their work on a real cake higher grades than if they used dummies because of the difficulty of using cake versus styrofoam.

The OCS obviously is almost exclusively dummy cakes...so everyone is judged on the same plane, so to speak. I've never entered a decorating contest. Are real cakes judged on the same -plane as dummy cakes? Are the competitors required to reveal which medium they are using? And is it fair for dummy cakes to be judged along with the real thing?

3 replies
kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 6 May 2007 , 7:59pm
post #2 of 4

I've only entered one show, but I believe they do NOT judge on whether it is a dummy or real cake. They don't even ask on the entry form. The only requirement is that it has to be something you're "able" to do with real cake.

Many cake show entries take weeks or months of work, so I can't imagine that real cake would be a realistic option. But you are so right -- styrafoam doesn't bulge, tilt, or collapse. What a person can do with a styrafoam dummy is not necessarily a representation of what they can do with a cake.

chaptlps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chaptlps Posted 6 May 2007 , 8:11pm
post #3 of 4

Yeah most of the time those entered for decorations only are usually styrofoam and if there is a taste competition it's usually just on the taste not on the decorations. The only time I have ever seen both criteria is on those food network challenges. where both taste and decorations are judged.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 6 May 2007 , 8:19pm
post #4 of 4

I did see one on the Food Channel from the Okla Show in which the woman made it out of real cake. Part of it was .... how to describe? ..... a 3-D star? Like the kind you'd put on top of your Christmas tree? Anyway, she said she used real cake to show it COULD be done. Said, ".... it's easy to do it with fake cakes, but a design like this, you really need to show it's possible."

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%