How To Do Royal Icing Transfer

Decorating By alreadydoc Updated 10 May 2007 , 3:52pm by alreadydoc

alreadydoc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alreadydoc Posted 6 May 2007 , 5:07pm
post #1 of 9

I need to do a spiderman theme cake i saw in one of the gallery pictures.It is done in royal icing transfer.How do you do it?I need to know as My nephew's birthday is in just 2 days and I have to make the cake!!Please help.Thanks.
alreadydoc

8 replies
KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 6 May 2007 , 6:11pm
post #2 of 9

bump

JRAE33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JRAE33 Posted 6 May 2007 , 10:34pm
post #3 of 9

I have never done a Royal icing transfer, but I do have a set of instructions saved in my "to do" file. These are not my instructions, but the person who gave them to me has done wonderful work so I'm sure this is accurate. I have her name somewhere but can't seem to find it. When I do I'll give credit where credit is due! HTH. Jodie

ROYAL ICING TRANSFERS

I traced coloring page figures on parchment paper with black royal icing and then filled in the spaces with very thin royal icing so it would spread out. I do the filling in with a tip two and you put just enough in so that it gives a "pillowing" effect. Then I let them dry for a couple of days. You have to be VERY careful when you peel them off of the parchment because they break ever so easily.

alreadydoc Posted 7 May 2007 , 3:27am
post #4 of 9

thanks will tryout this one.
alreadydoc

Cassie2500 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cassie2500 Posted 7 May 2007 , 4:11am
post #5 of 9

I just did my biggest Royal Icing transfer this past weekend. It was a Batman cake for my nephew. I had the picture enlarged and also in a mirror image where you are working on the back of the image and then flip it over onto your cake. You don't have to do it in the mirror image if you don't want to, I was just going by the BC transfer tutorial here on CC. If you do it in the mirror image, it will be flat on top instead of the pillow effect. I did mine on wax paper-I didn't think about parchment paper, but it seems that would make it easier to come off because mine broke in 3 different places while I was trying to get it off of the paper. Once I got it on the cake no one could tell but me. As Jrae33 said they are VERY easy to break. Use a thin consistency for outlining-I used tip #1, but after I did it I was thinking I probably should have used tip #2 to show the details better. Let it dry (doesn't take long to dry), then use a thinner consistency for filling in. I used a long thin pin I had to fill in corners-just fill in with icing, then use pin to "guide" icing to edges and corners to make sure icing gets in the specific spots. Let it dry really good-I just let mine dry over night, but now I'm thinking it probably should have dried longer and maybe would not have broken so much-be very careful taking it off of the paper, then tranfer it to your cake. Since my cake was crusted over, I used tip #1 and squeezed buttercream icing all on the back so it would stay. I wasn't sure if it would slide or not. Sorry so long, just trying to help! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

alwayscake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alwayscake Posted 7 May 2007 , 4:16am
post #6 of 9

I did some work with royal icing, and would like to add some info.
If the design is big, I would do double layer to make stronger. And when all the different section of the runout are complete, place it under a heat lamp immediately for 1 hour to ensure the run out dries with a good sheen.
They need to dry out un warm dry room, small pieces will need 24 hours and larger pcs will need 48 hours. Pieces that are sunken have taken too long to dry.
Sometimes when I was in a hurry, I let my pieces stayed under the heat lamp for more than 8 hours.
Hope this will help.

cakesbydana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbydana Posted 7 May 2007 , 4:37am
post #7 of 9

If you have a dehydrator it cuts a LOT of drying time. It is still fragile so keep that in mind. Also, if you are putting it on buttercream, keep it off as long as you can. If it stays on the buttercream too long it WILL crack (just had this happen, I put it on the night before and the next day the transfer was cracking all over when I picked the cake up)

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 7 May 2007 , 5:01am
post #8 of 9

Why not just do a FBCT? Especially if you're putting it on top of BC. I would think it would be easier - sounds like the same amount of work, but less chance of breakage. Yes, they are still somewhat fragile, but not as much as the RI sound like they are.

alreadydoc Posted 10 May 2007 , 3:52pm
post #9 of 9

I couldn't try FBCT b/c the place Where I live is very very hot! It was so hot that even the cream icing I did started to melt and run down the sides whiule I was icing.I had to put it in the freezer for the icing to hold.I do plan to try this royal icing but in a slightly cooler weather.Thankyou all for helping. icon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%