Ugh! Do I Do This Again?..................

Decorating By MikeRowesHunny Updated 6 May 2007 , 6:21pm by KoryAK

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 6 May 2007 , 10:06am
post #1 of 17

I made a chocolate transfer last night for a cake I have due this week and now I've turned it over, I'm just not sure it's good enough!

I'm really not fishing for compliments, just opinions as to whether I should do this again (maybe in buttercream this time so I can get finer detail?), or if this is OK. OH says it's fine, but I'm in 2 minds, so I thought I'd consult the experts!

How do I get finer detail with chocolate? I used a parchment triangle with a tiny, tiny hole, but the lines are still too thick IMO - does my chocolate need to be a bit cooler (it wasn't hot), so that it holds it's shape better when piped rather than spreading, which I think is the main problem I'm having - any chocolate transfer experts? I've done loads of these, but this one was a nightmare, maybe just too much tiny detail to work with (the whole transfer is 8x11in - so you can see how detailed the figures had to be!)? I don't know - help!

Thanks in advance!
LL

16 replies
thecupcakemom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecupcakemom Posted 6 May 2007 , 10:20am
post #2 of 17

looks fantastic to me. Great job!

mbarbi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbarbi Posted 6 May 2007 , 10:23am
post #3 of 17

same here...looks great!

justme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justme Posted 6 May 2007 , 10:24am
post #4 of 17

looks great to me!! good job!

Bzer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bzer Posted 6 May 2007 , 10:28am
post #5 of 17

Looks pretty good to me..

boring Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boring Posted 6 May 2007 , 10:44am
post #6 of 17

Looks good to me.

MikeRowesHunny Posted 6 May 2007 , 10:57am
post #7 of 17

OK, I'll guess I'll stick with it - now I have to pray it doesn't curl before Friday!

thems_my_kids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thems_my_kids Posted 6 May 2007 , 12:42pm
post #8 of 17

I could see where the detail ould be hard to work with. I ran into that problem with a FBCT (little mermaid and Barbie faces) But I really do not see a problem with this at all! I'm totally impressed! Great job! I need to learn how to do those!

Granpam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Granpam Posted 6 May 2007 , 12:54pm
post #9 of 17

I haven't done a CT but do FBCT and this looks great to me. If you want a finer line you can put a 1s tip inside the parchment bag. I even put couplers on parchment bags and use any tip I need when I don't want a lot of clean up or only need a very small amount of icing.

MikeRowesHunny Posted 6 May 2007 , 1:09pm
post #10 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granpam

I haven't done a CT but do FBCT and this looks great to me. If you want a finer line you can put a 1s tip inside the parchment bag. I even put couplers on parchment bags and use any tip I need when I don't want a lot of clean up or only need a very small amount of icing.

I've tried the 1s tip and it kept getting clogged - very frustrating! The hole I had in the parchment bag was probably as small, if not smaller than the 1s!

practiceandpatience Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
practiceandpatience Posted 6 May 2007 , 2:55pm
post #11 of 17

looks great to me!!

christielee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
christielee Posted 6 May 2007 , 2:57pm
post #12 of 17

I think this cake is awesome. I try doing chocolate transfers and they always look like a 1st grader did them, someone even thought that was the look I was going for! lol. So I am very impressed!!!

Christie

ruralepicure Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ruralepicure Posted 6 May 2007 , 3:05pm
post #13 of 17

I looked at the picture before I read what you wrote so I was thinking this is the picture you were going to copy. I'd say it's pretty darn perfect, great job!!!

MikeRowesHunny Posted 6 May 2007 , 3:05pm
post #14 of 17

Awww, thanks very much guys - I'll be sure to post a picture of the cake completed next week! so, long as I don't break the transfer in the mean time lol! icon_surprised.gificon_lol.gificon_cry.gif

heavenscent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heavenscent Posted 6 May 2007 , 3:06pm
post #15 of 17

I think it looks great

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 6 May 2007 , 3:09pm
post #16 of 17

Can't wait to see the finished cake since that choc. transfer looks so great!

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 6 May 2007 , 6:21pm
post #17 of 17

First of all, yes that one is just fine - go ahead and use it.
As far as keeping it flat for awhile, leave it sitting between 2 very flat sheet pans or cutting boards or something because the candy melts do have a tendency to curl over time. I have had pieces come out slightly curled and "pressed" them like this for a few hours and had them straighten right back out (chocolate has to be ROOM TEMP before you do this or it will crack.
For getting finer lines, you need to thicken the outlining chocolate just a bit by adding - gasp - water or alcohol. Just a drop at a time and stirring really well. The lines will hold their shape instead of spreading.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%