My First Pricing Lesson:be Sure You Atleast Get Paid For You

Baking By manyacakes Updated 30 May 2006 , 2:53am by Zamode

manyacakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manyacakes Posted 29 May 2006 , 11:48am
post #1 of 2

ingredients.

about 3 years ago i made my first cookies. i wish i knew about this site back then. i did them for the daughter of a friend from work. each bag contained 4 thin, decorated cookies (duck, bear, foot and hand print). someone from the shower said that they loved the cookies and had been waiting for an event to have them.

she contacted me and i was very excited. i calculated the cost of ingredients and what i thought would be reasonable for my time, which was 1.98 for 4 cookies or .48 cents each which included packaging. when i gave the price to the person she seemed like it was too much money. she said that she would get back to me. i thought i wouldn't hear from her again but she called. she wanted only 2 cookies each for 50 favors. so i said okay.

i couldn't find the cutters from the first event (remodled kitchen and a lot of little things went to the trash) so i got new ones. the new cutters were 4 in and i rolled them to 1/4 in thick. i happened to find some pics of the old ones and realized that the new ones were a lot bigger and that's why the batch didn't make as much this time (i don't even think i got paid for all of my ingredients).

it took a lot longer than i remembered to decorate all of the cookies. i showed them to some of the ladies that i worked with and they loved them. i actually got three orders for more cookies, which makes up for the way i was feeling about this situation. i didn't tell anyone about the pricing before hand and after some looking on here i decided to go with 3 to 3.50 dollars per cookie. i also started to make an excel spreadsheet of pricing ingredients and how many servings one particular item will yield for my recipes.

when i met the woman to give her the cookies we were to meet at 3:30. work was crazy that day and i completly forgot about meeting her. so i took time off of work to leave early and meet her. i arrived at 3:20 at the meeting place and called in case she got there early and she said she was 10 mins away. i waited 40 mins for her to get there (i could have stayed at work longer).

when she saw the cookies she barley looked at them gave me my money and started to leave. i told her not to leave them in the car since it was hot if she had other errands. i was so disappointed with her reaction after all of the time that i put into the cookies.

sorry this is so long.
manya

1 reply
Zamode Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zamode Posted 30 May 2006 , 2:53am
post #2 of 2

Manya, easier said than done but it sounds like she had other issues going on that day, being late and abrupt with you so don't take it personally or more so, let it drag you down. Keep up with the decorating and now you know how much to charge, people can take it or leave it. There's always one in a crowd, sadly sounds like you got her on the first try. Keep going!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%