Harry Horse......some Questions Answered

Decorating By torki Updated 6 May 2007 , 3:57am by gateaux

torki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
torki Posted 5 May 2007 , 11:54pm
post #1 of 5

Firstly ...WOW....I am really taken back by the responses to my horse pics icon_redface.gif thank you so much everyone!!!

now some questions answered.....from ears to ground he is 18cm. I made his body around some sort of Styrofoamy stuff ....it is not exactly Styrofoam..it was packing for electronics gear.(great stuff).... I cut it into a log shape and then inserted 4 wires for the legs, I then put bendy straws over leg wires, and a smaller wire for the neck. Then 2 skewers (using 2 stops it spinning) up his bum to hold him with and to dry on....big horse lolly-pop icon_lol.gif wolah horse frame!!

I made his body first...dampen foam and used pieces of sugar paste and really wet hands to build up shape. leaving backside to last. then made the neck, head and face details the same way. let dry. Then covered in a really thin piece of sugarpaste and mold/shape when nearly dry attack with craft knife ...for fur. I then did exactly the same for the legs leaving the hooves off. let dry really well...this is why i used straws.. I found without the straws the gumpaste wasn't drying all the way through and cracked, (had to amputate first legs!!) so the straws allowed them to dry in the centre. Then add hooves, and stand him to make sure his legs are even, dry. then a final layer of paste as for body, shaping his fur on the bottoms of legs whilst still wet! dry. take out skewers and shape bum as for body. Add eyes, tail,ears, main and saddle. paint and there ya go ... you have a horse!!!! about 5-6 days work and drying time. thanks again !!
icon_lol.gif

4 replies
CakeRN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeRN Posted 6 May 2007 , 3:37am
post #2 of 5

wow...your horse is really super. You need to take up sculpting if you don't already so it as a profession. You are very good.

ladysonja Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladysonja Posted 6 May 2007 , 3:44am
post #3 of 5

Did you take a sculpting class? If not, you are a natural!

You should check come over to the US for the Oklahoma State Sugar Arts Show and enter one of your creations! I'm sure you would take Grand Champion first time out!

If I'm not mistaken, they do have a division for your work!

heavensgaits Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heavensgaits Posted 6 May 2007 , 3:46am
post #4 of 5

Your horse is absolutely stunning! Thank you for posting how you made his body frame. My dad has two mares and I'm thinking about sculpting them out of fondant to put on his father's day cake that I'm going to surprise him with. Your instructions will help me a great deal, thank you! I know that mine won't come out as beautiful as yours, but if I can get them to where they actually look like horses, I'll be pleased.

gateaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gateaux Posted 6 May 2007 , 3:57am
post #5 of 5

You are so talented, icon_eek.gif wow your horse is beautiful.

My DH's first words, Holy Horse! well almost! Is that cake? I said, nope styro material and then it's all sugar!

We are both amaze, he also said... there are so many tallented people on this site, it's amazing.

Like someone else said in the other tread, you should take up sculpting if you dont already do it. icon_cool.gif

WOW. thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Great work. Thank you to whoever talked you into making the horse. icon_wink.gificon_twisted.gif

Good Luck.
thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%