How To Make A Hat Box Cake With The Top Ajar?

Decorating By FeGe_Cakes Updated 7 May 2007 , 3:46am by Doughnut

FeGe_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FeGe_Cakes Posted 5 May 2007 , 10:45pm
post #1 of 6

Hello all,

I was hoping for a little advise. How do you make the top of the hat box ajar and make it safe to travel? I like this idea for a mother's day cake with the tissue paper inside, but I am not sure how to safely set the top ajar and allow for a customer to pick the cake up and travel with it.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

5 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 5 May 2007 , 11:14pm
post #2 of 6

fairytales' hatbox directions:

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-215781-.html

All the other cake box, tiffany box, gift box threads:
(And lots more.)

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-2126861-.html

HTH

lindsaycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lindsaycakes Posted 5 May 2007 , 11:17pm
post #3 of 6

I have seen these done where the top/lid is a thin piece of styrofoam, covered in fondant, and propped up with a dowel. I assume this would travel just fine, since it is lightweight.

Hope this helps!
Lindsay

sarahnichole975 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahnichole975 Posted 5 May 2007 , 11:37pm
post #4 of 6

I've done two, both are in my pictures. The one for the baby shower, cut out a square 2 inches bigger than the cake. Then cut out 1 inch squares out of each corner, scored the edges where it bends just a bit, not all the way through, and folded them up. I used folded tinfoil to hold it up while it dried. Oh, for that one I used fondant with a good bit of gum tex added to it to help it dry. And it had to dry for several days. Even though it was hard, I ended up cutting a piece of a cake box and setting it inside for support, just in case. The Tiffany Box with the ring, I didn't allow myself enough time for it to dry, so I made a box top out of a cake box (cutting it the same way I would did the fondant for the first one) then I covered it, top and bottom with fondant. Hope it helps, and I'd be happy to answer any more questions if this wasn't a clear description.

FeGe_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FeGe_Cakes Posted 5 May 2007 , 11:46pm
post #5 of 6

Thank you so much for the links and information. Duh! didn't think of styrofoam or rice krispy treats.

Doughnut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doughnut Posted 7 May 2007 , 3:46am
post #6 of 6

Thank you so much for asking this question. I was going to ask it also. I am going to attempt to do a gift box cake this week. My first cake in about 4 years (and I wasn't very good back then). I'm going to use the syro foam for the lid (well, I guess it'll all be styrofoam since it will be a dummy cake lol). I will let you all know how it goes!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%