It's Ok To Bake Today For

Decorating By llj68 Updated 11 May 2005 , 3:31pm by llj68

llj68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
llj68 Posted 11 May 2005 , 12:37pm
post #1 of 4

Sunday? Right? I'm sorry this is such a dorky question--I think I just need a bit of handholding.

I am having a crazy week and want to bake tonight, make/color icing tomorrow and ice/decorate on Saturday for a Sunday morning shower. It'll be OK, right?

I just don't want the cake to be stale--but my schedule is SO messed up this week! I will have 7 kids over here on Friday and just know that NOTHING is going to get done. It's a pretty big cake, so baking and icing the same day is going to me nearly impossible.

Thanks!
Lisa

3 replies
m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 11 May 2005 , 1:49pm
post #2 of 4

If you bake today, I recommend you freeze the cakes, make sure they are well wrapped so that you don't get any freezer burn or funny tastes in your cake.
I do this 1) once baked cakes are completely cooled, individualy wrap each cooled cake in saran wrap or glad press 'n seal
2) wrap in freezer paper (write what the cake is on the outside with pencil or permanent marker)
3) Place in freezer on flat surface like a piece of cut cardboard or on a cardboard cakeboard
Then...when you are ready to decorate
1) take cakes out of the freezer at least 1 hour before you decorate, lay them on the countertop individually to defrost better
2) Leave cakes wrapped until ready to frost to keep moisture sealed in (I did not do this once and I notice a slight dryness to one of my cakes)
3) Once defrosted, ice and decorate cake(s)
Hope this helps!
m0use

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 11 May 2005 , 3:26pm
post #3 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by llj68

Sunday? Right? I'm sorry this is such a dorky question--I think I just need a bit of handholding.

I am having a crazy week and want to bake tonight, make/color icing tomorrow and ice/decorate on Saturday for a Sunday morning shower. It'll be OK, right?

I just don't want the cake to be stale--but my schedule is SO messed up this week! I will have 7 kids over here on Friday and just know that NOTHING is going to get done. It's a pretty big cake, so baking and icing the same day is going to me nearly impossible.

Thanks!
Lisa

I think they'll be fine. If you're like me, you don't have the freezer space! Just cover them with plastic wrap and keep them in a cool, dry place out of the reach of the kids. They won't go stale. The cakes may even end up more moist.

llj68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
llj68 Posted 11 May 2005 , 3:31pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks for your replies!

I think I'll do them tonight just to have them a bit fresher. I don't have the freezer room at the moment--but I really can't wait until Saturday to do them. Friday is completely out of the question.

My mom always says--if you put enough icing on them, nobody notices the cake anyway. I don't necessarily agree with that statement--but I'm really strapped. I just don't want them to be bad. It's my reputation at stake and there will be about 125 people there who I see as potential clients!!

Thanks again!

Lisa

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%