Gold Icing

Decorating By Audrey Updated 11 May 2005 , 9:17pm by sunlover00

Audrey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Audrey Posted 11 May 2005 , 4:32am
post #1 of 7

I need to make a graduation cake with bright shiny gold letters. Can I just add 24k petal dust to icing?

6 replies
Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 11 May 2005 , 4:55am
post #2 of 7

I think it might be better to cut the letters from fondant, mold them from chocolate or make them from royal and then paint them with gold luster dust. You'll use less of the dust and it'll look shinier. I think Super Gold would give you that 24K look.

LAA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LAA Posted 11 May 2005 , 1:00pm
post #3 of 7

I have the same problem, however a little different. I am doing a bc frozen transfer of the graduation announcement to place on the cake. The lettering is forest green (not a problem) and trimmed in gold. My practice transfer I used a 2 tip for the outlining and I was very happy with the look but not to happy with the yellow/gold color I came up with. Fondant is not really an option for this project. Any suggestions????? detective.gif

Lisa

luceymoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luceymoose Posted 11 May 2005 , 2:18pm
post #4 of 7

I think you can add the lusterdust directly to the BC but you have to add alot. It might be easier to paint it on after the Bc has crusted.

Audrey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Audrey Posted 11 May 2005 , 4:48pm
post #5 of 7

Thank you for the help, I will try it and see how it works. I just found this website last night and I think it is the best!

LAA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LAA Posted 11 May 2005 , 5:12pm
post #6 of 7

Welcome Audrey. I am sure you will learn and share lots of great ideas. I have learned so much for everyone here.

Lisa

sunlover00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunlover00 Posted 11 May 2005 , 9:17pm
post #7 of 7

I read somewhere that you can mix luster dust with gel and paint it on the inside of your bag, then fill with your buttercream. It is supposed to come out shiney.

I have not tried it but it sounds like it might work? If you try it, let us know how it comes out! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%