Vegetable Oil In Cake Mixture

Baking By Annalisa Updated 18 May 2005 , 2:55am by Annalisa

Annalisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annalisa Posted 11 May 2005 , 1:47am
post #1 of 17

Has anyone ever heard of adding vegetable oil in cake mixture to keep the cake moist once baked, if so how much would you add??

I would appreciate any replies.

Thanks

Anna

16 replies
CIndymm4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CIndymm4 Posted 11 May 2005 , 1:52am
post #2 of 17

Most boxed mixes call for oil in them and there are several different cakes that I make from scratch that have oil in them. Is there a particular kind of cake that you are wanting to make?

Ladycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladycake Posted 11 May 2005 , 2:00am
post #3 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annalisa

Has anyone ever heard of adding vegetable oil in cake mixture to keep the cake moist once baked, if so how much would you add??

I would appreciate any replies.

Thanks

Anna

You need veg oil or butter .. I use both...

Annalisa Posted 11 May 2005 , 2:27am
post #4 of 17

I am using a box cake mix for a chocolate cake, but it just says to add water, but I am baking this cake in advance for a christening and am wooried that it will dry up and have heard that oil will keep it moist. How much oil would you use, eg., if the cake mix says to add 250 mls of water would you substitiute half oil and half water. I would appreciate any advise.

Thanks Anna

Ladycake Posted 11 May 2005 , 2:31am
post #5 of 17
Quote:

I am using a box cake mix for a chocolate cake, but it just says to add water, but I am baking this cake in advance for a christening and am wooried that it will dry up and have heard that oil will keep it moist. How much oil would you use, eg., if the cake mix says to add 250 mls of water would you substitiute half oil and half water. I would appreciate any advise.

Thanks Anna

I dont have a box of chocolate on hand but I would say at least 1/4 cup of oil or one stick of butter and the water that is says ... Ihave never seen a cake with chocolate that dont say to add oil.. what brand are you using... Since I dont have a box to tell you for sures I would add a stick of butter that I know for sures...

Annalisa Posted 11 May 2005 , 2:52am
post #6 of 17

Hi Victoria

Its an Australian No name Brand that I buy from the local cake decorating shop its called a utility chocolate cake mix.

Ladycake Posted 11 May 2005 , 2:53am
post #7 of 17
Quote:

Hi Victoria

Its an Australian No name Brand that I buy from the local cake decorating shop its called a utility chocolate cake mix.

Does it say anything on there about the oil is added and all you have to do is add the water I know there are some brands that are that way...

Annalisa Posted 11 May 2005 , 4:07am
post #8 of 17

No, it doesn't say about oil being added already to the misture, it just says to add water

Ladycake Posted 11 May 2005 , 4:15am
post #9 of 17
Quote:

No, it doesn't say about oil being added already to the misture, it just says to add water

I would bet that its one of them mixed that you dont have to add that to it .. that all you have to do is add water there are some of them out there...

Annalisa Posted 11 May 2005 , 4:19am
post #10 of 17

Yes, I think you are right. I think I am just stressing too much as the cake is for my cousin's cristening and I want it to be perfect. It might be better just to follow the instructions.

Ladycake Posted 11 May 2005 , 4:34am
post #11 of 17
Quote:

Yes, I think you are right. I think I am just stressing too much as the cake is for my cousin's cristening and I want it to be perfect. It might be better just to follow the instructions.

YOU know this is one of the times I think I have to agree... but you know you will be able to feel it onces its done if its dry and if you dont like it then you can bake another one.. But I am sure its going to be fine...

Annalisa Posted 11 May 2005 , 5:00am
post #12 of 17

Thanks Victoria for your support I will let you know how I go, thanks once again

Ladycake Posted 11 May 2005 , 5:09am
post #13 of 17
Quote:

Thanks Victoria for your support I will let you know how I go, thanks once again

Would love to know what happens..

Annalisa Posted 11 May 2005 , 5:10am
post #14 of 17

Will keek you posted

auzzi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auzzi Posted 14 May 2005 , 12:50pm
post #15 of 17

If you only have to add water, then there is sure to be an oil product hidden there in the ingredients - "a rose by any other name...etc"

Our domestic cake mixes are approx 12 oz not 18+ oz like US.

For an interesting recipe try:

Chocolate Cake
1 chocolate cake mix eg Greens or Defiance brands
1 instant pudding eg White wings or Cottees
3 eggs
1/3 - 1/2 c oil
1/2 - 2/3 c liquid
Note: [liquid + oil = 1 c total]
* 8in/20cm round tin - circle of paper on bottom of lightlly oiled tin.
* Sift/aerate cake mix and pudding.
* Whip eggs [2 mins], and water [2 mins], add half oil [1 min], then dry ingredients [1 min], then remaining oil [1 mins].
180oC 25-40 mins - watch carefully. Stand 5 mins - run a knife around and remove to cool.

Annalisa Posted 16 May 2005 , 2:14am
post #16 of 17

Thanks for the receipe, will try it.

Anna

Annalisa Posted 18 May 2005 , 2:55am
post #17 of 17

Hi All

In response to Victoria wanting to know how the cake went. I baked the cake on thursday night and did not vary the instructions on the cake mix and I just added water in the mixture as stated on the instructions. The cake came out moist and everyone enjoyed it. If you are interested I have posted a picture of it in the gallaries section under "celebration cakes" Baby showers.

Thanks Auzzi for your recepie I will try it next time and let you know

Anna

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%