Purple Icing Changed Colors

Decorating By crumbscakeartistry Updated 6 May 2007 , 10:40pm by lsawyer

crumbscakeartistry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crumbscakeartistry Posted 5 May 2007 , 2:13am
post #1 of 14

Made a cake went to deliver it and the purple icing has changed colors. It is now a blue almost green color. What the heck happened? I know people have had said it is a problem color, is this what they meant? What can I do to fix it/ prevent it?

13 replies
momof5kiki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momof5kiki Posted 5 May 2007 , 2:43am
post #2 of 14

I have had this happen with many colors when the cake was near sunlight. Was your cake near a window, or near any sunlight while travelling to your destination? I made 6 cakes for my DD's first birthday, and the purple turned blue on two of the cakes, and the pink turned almost white icon_sad.gif

kbrown99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kbrown99 Posted 5 May 2007 , 2:51am
post #3 of 14

I have heard that red pigments in the colors can also can be affected by the acidity/alkalinity of the icing. I don't remember which direction it goes, but I remember reading about it in another forum. I think it was the Crisco forum. Not sure if that's the problem, but it might be worth a look. HTH

Edited to say: Just found the post about the acidity on page 23 of the Crisco thread.

"I haven't had time to turn my kitchen into a lab, but I did a little more Googling. It appears that many of the red pigments are acid-sensitive--that is, they tend to fade out in the presence of higher acidity. Since violet is a mixture of blue and red pigments, that would mean that if the icing was more acid (than basic/alkaline), just the blue would come through. That explains why I haven't had a problem--according to my son's tests in his chemistry lab, our tap water has a very alkaline pH. I new there was a reason why I haven't bothered with bottled water in my icing lately.

So, I guess the solution would be to counteract the higher acidity of the new formula, but I'm not sure how best to do that.

RedPanda"

HTH

paolacaracas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paolacaracas Posted 5 May 2007 , 2:53am
post #4 of 14

This was my first question when I entered the forum.
I'm so impresed by americolor brand, it keps its purple purple for a long time

pastryjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryjen Posted 5 May 2007 , 2:53am
post #5 of 14

I understand that if you use the violet colour it can change depending on if you used milk or water in your icing. I can't remember which one is the wrong one to use though! Maybe someone else can help out.

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 5 May 2007 , 2:53am
post #6 of 14

My cake in the photo with my name has almost turned white. It is in a sunny room (not direct sunlight, just a large window), and over the past month has gone from a very pretty pink to so pale you can hardly tell it was pink at all. I used Satin Ice fondant, and I was wondering the same thing, if other people have a hard time with things changing colors.

cupcakequeen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakequeen Posted 5 May 2007 , 3:09am
post #7 of 14

Wilton violet has almost always turned blue with a few hours. I've noticed also that wilton pink fades and turns white. This all happens even when not in sunlight. It happens a lot if the air is warm.

I'd love to find a way for this to stop happening too!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 5 May 2007 , 3:12am
post #8 of 14

When I started doing this 25 years ago, the #2 Red Dye had been taken off of the market just a few years prior. Every experienced cake decorator I knew told me the red replacements were not as good. When the red fades, all that's left is the blue.

Which is also why you have to use a ton of red food coloring to get a good deep red, in most cases.

crumbscakeartistry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crumbscakeartistry Posted 5 May 2007 , 11:30am
post #9 of 14

Glad to know I did not do anything wrong. I have never seen anything like that before. It was just the back of the tiered cake thank goodness. It was on a table sort of by an open window but with no direct sunlight. I will try to use Americolor violet from now on.

Know CCers would have a answer for me!

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 5 May 2007 , 11:44am
post #10 of 14

The cake I made for my Granddaughter's wedding was SUPPOSED to be Periwinkle and white....... I used Wilton Sky blue and Lavendar to get a most BEAUTIFUL Periwinkle for the lacy borders.....By the time I got it to the Reception hall....... about a three hour ride....... the Periwinkle had turned BLUE.... NO Lavendar at all icon_cry.gif ....... Sunlight never touched it.........It worked out okay, because we used all those colors in the decorating, but I was REALLY disappointed.... SHE, on the other hand didn't even notice the color change..... had other things on her mind , I guess ! icon_wink.gif

nefgaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nefgaby Posted 5 May 2007 , 11:45am
post #11 of 14

Just my 2 cents but I've also had that happen with Purple Americolor. The Tink cake in my photos changed color to an ugly blue!!! Sorry this happened to you!

Tolly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tolly Posted 5 May 2007 , 10:23pm
post #12 of 14

I have been working with Wilton purple for years. I add milk to the colored icing (the milk will look blue). You can also add 1/4 tsp cocoa to help with the running. This will thin the icing so you will have to add powdered sugar.

Hope this helps

cupcakegirl27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakegirl27 Posted 6 May 2007 , 1:15am
post #13 of 14

Sun light and florescent lighting can affect the frosting colors. We had to do our display cakes in dark colors because after a few days the colors would fade to pastel colors.

lsawyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lsawyer Posted 6 May 2007 , 10:40pm
post #14 of 14

Does the use of meringue powder in the BC help with stabilizing the color? I've heard that mp is a stabilizer, so I'm wondering if it works in this area, too. Does anyone know?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%