Icing Vs Fondant

Decorating By kirahhh Updated 26 May 2006 , 2:11am by Rodneyck

kirahhh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kirahhh Posted 25 May 2006 , 5:52am
post #1 of 8

Well Im new to cake decorating, but Seems like More and more everthing is becoming Fondantly Done! I guess Im partial to the Old School of Wilton! Anyone else feel like that? Maybe its just the I havent tried Fondant or MMF; I just started w/Couse 1 w/wilton. Well just thought I'd see how everyone else felt about it.

7 replies
socake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
socake Posted 25 May 2006 , 6:21am
post #2 of 8

I love working with fondant! I guess it is all I know. I want to try working with BC I have only done one cake in BC so far, I found it pretty hard but I have read heaps about it on this site so next time I give it a go it should be easier.

Schmoop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Schmoop Posted 25 May 2006 , 6:40am
post #3 of 8

Most of my cakes are iced in buttercream with fondant accents.

I like the cleaner look of the fondant, plus me and the piping bag don't get along real well...I can't for the life of me get consistent decorations and get those flowers to look like flowers, except buttercream roses.

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 25 May 2006 , 2:26pm
post #4 of 8

fondant has been around forever. it just hasn't been as popular in the US as it has been in Europe, particularly in England. Some people don't care for the taste, but I think if you make it yourself and add flavorings it can be really good.

socake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
socake Posted 26 May 2006 , 12:52am
post #5 of 8

There is one huge benifit of using fondant......It is easier to pull it off than butter cream if you are watching your weight!!!!LOL!!

kirahhh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kirahhh Posted 26 May 2006 , 1:55am
post #6 of 8

hmm I dont know . Fondant seems so Commercial, like it lacks the loving touch. I know some cakes are totally made that way but some cake makers out there use both and those seem okay. Granted there are some amazing things you can do with Fondant, and if you have a thing w/the icing bag as well. I like using my bags , but have this problem w/HOT hands right now. "HORMONES" haha....

emilykakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emilykakes Posted 26 May 2006 , 2:09am
post #7 of 8

I don't really prefer working with one over the other. It just depends on what type of look I am going for. However I am going through a big MMF phase right now. It is so easy and cheap to make and I love the taste (especially when compared to wilton).

Rodneyck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rodneyck Posted 26 May 2006 , 2:11am
post #8 of 8

I think many cake makers like fondant because it is the pandora's box of cake design, so many possiblilities.

However, in my opinion, it will never beat the taste of a really good buttercream, especially the Italian meringues or mouselline buttercream types. I have several pastry chef forums I browse, looking for tips and good recipes and more often, many of them create and decorate in buttercreams, less so with fondant.

It is all a personal preference, oh and whatever the bride prefers, lol.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%