Buttercream Dream

Decorating By SpudCake Updated 7 Mar 2016 , 8:33pm by kakeladi

SpudCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpudCake Posted 25 May 2006 , 12:07am
post #1 of 18

Has anyone ever used this recipe "Buttercream Dream" It has a 5 star rating in the recipe section. I am looking for a new buttercream recipe to use and would like to know what you all think of this recipe. It is submitted by AgentCakeBaker.
Also, does anyone know how well "Creamy Buttercream Frosting" by Julie Mader works for decorating.

Thanks in advance.

Joanne usaribbon.gif

17 replies
Dordee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dordee Posted 25 May 2006 , 2:44am
post #2 of 18

I absolutely LOVE buttercream dream. I searched a long time to find an icing that I liked and when I tried this one I knew I had found it. I use unsalted butter (it says one stick unsalted and one stick salted) and it's not too sweet at all to me. Everyone in my family raves about it. Most of the other icings I have tried are just too salty for me. This one crusts well too. Makes beautiful roses.

kae133 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kae133 Posted 25 May 2006 , 3:27am
post #3 of 18

I made a half batch of this recipe over the weekend. Thought it tasted great. I did use the salted and unsalted...plus added about another half teaspoon of salt because I thought it was still too sweet. After I added the salt I thought it tasted better. I also added 1 T meringue powder to be sure it crusted. It did crust some. I tried making roses with it today and they were awful....I even chilled the icing but they didn't come out well. I bet it would be great for roses it I added a bit more powdered sugar to make it stiffer (when made, the recipe is thinner for icing a cake). I have about 5 different BC recipes in my fridge right now....I'm on a quest to find the best BC (not too sweet but is easy to smooth for icing a cake). After trying this recipe, I told my hubby that I think I may have found my BC!!

SpudCake Posted 25 May 2006 , 4:07am
post #4 of 18

Thank you for your replies. I plan to make a batch tomorrow. I am making a graduation cake for Saturday and they wanted buttercream and I haven't really found one I have liked yet. I used to use the Wilton recipe but the last time I made it I didn't like it. Don't know why. I have used that recipe for about 25 years now. Thanks again.

Joanne usaribbon.gif

daltonam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daltonam Posted 25 May 2006 , 4:15am
post #5 of 18

i would love to know what you think of it or what you decide i'm looking also

Helendelk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Helendelk Posted 25 May 2006 , 4:15am
post #6 of 18

I used that recipe on the past 2 cakes I made... Loved working with it UNTIL I tried making some roses.. never could get it to do what I wanted... Needed more sugar Im sure but I was in a hurry to... Now the TASTE was out of this world, everyone said it was the best icing they have had. So I would suggest it but if you plan using for roses add more sugar..

Dordee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dordee Posted 26 May 2006 , 5:27pm
post #7 of 18

Now i'm confused icon_confused.gif This icing makes roses for me beautifully and borders too. I am wondering why now but i'm definately not complaining.
Could it be that I don't use powdered sugar thats been presifted and I don't sift it when I use it? Any hoo, I love it!!!

spottydog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spottydog Posted 26 May 2006 , 5:34pm
post #8 of 18

All I can say is I LOVE IT. Agree with roses being an issue sometimes. But this recipe is all I use. icon_smile.gif

SpudCake Posted 27 May 2006 , 6:24am
post #9 of 18

I do believe I have found my new buttercream recipe. I made "buttercream dream" tonight. I really didn't think it would be that much different than any others I have tried but I do like it better. I used all salted butter and it was sweet but not overpowering. Even my husband said it was good. I think it's a keeper. Thanks for all the input. usaribbon.gif

fearlessbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fearlessbaker Posted 27 May 2006 , 6:33pm
post #10 of 18

Just to be clear, you are not talking about the recipe with Dream Whip: right?

SpudCake Posted 27 May 2006 , 6:36pm
post #11 of 18

No, it is not with Dream Whip.

fearlessbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fearlessbaker Posted 27 May 2006 , 6:38pm
post #12 of 18

Thanks SpudCake.

SpudCake Posted 27 May 2006 , 8:44pm
post #13 of 18

Here is the cake I did last night using buttercream dream icing.

kendrajabbour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kendrajabbour Posted 24 Feb 2016 , 1:19am
post #14 of 18

For the Buttercream Dream recipe, is there a substitute for the milk? My cottage permit doesn't allow milk in the buttercream. 

Gkfurrow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gkfurrow Posted 7 Mar 2016 , 1:15am
post #15 of 18

I am interested in giving "Buttercream Dream" a try, but I cannot find the recipe.  Could someone point me in the right direction?  TIA

craftybanana2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftybanana2 Posted 7 Mar 2016 , 3:05am
post #16 of 18

This might be what you are looking for: http://www.cakecentral.com/recipe/2123/buttercream-dream

Gkfurrow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gkfurrow Posted 7 Mar 2016 , 5:38pm
post #17 of 18

Thank you SO much craftybanana2.  I am anxious to try it!!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 7 Mar 2016 , 8:33pm
post #18 of 18

Most ANY liquid can be sub'd for milk.  It might not have exactly the same flavor but it will give the same consistency to the icing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%