Why Do My Cookies Always Turn Into Crepes?

Baking By HoneyBunnyCakeyPie Updated 25 May 2006 , 12:21pm by mushbug9

HoneyBunnyCakeyPie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HoneyBunnyCakeyPie Posted 24 May 2006 , 11:35pm
post #1 of 13

I cant figure out what Im doing wrong, but lately no matter what recipe I try my cookies always come out of the oven flat. I've even tried several types of pans to see if thats the problem
What is it that makes cookies stay thick? Could it be old baking power/soda? Not refridgerating the dough?
PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!

12 replies
peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 24 May 2006 , 11:55pm
post #2 of 13

Could be a couple of things.
You may need to refridgerate the dough.
You have to preheat your oven. And bake at the correct temp. IF your oven isn't hot enough your cookies will have more time to spread.
you may need more flour in your recipe. The only other thing that i can think of now, is are you using margarine in your cookies, if you are, you need to check the water content in the marg. as some of the spreads on the market aren't any good for baking.

MariaLovesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaLovesCakes Posted 25 May 2006 , 12:40am
post #3 of 13

What recipes have you tried?

I LOVE the Wilton roll out cookie recipe! I like it because it is delicious and easy and you don't have to refrigerate it.

Wilton Roll Out cookie recipe

3 cups of all purpose flour
1 cup of butter (2 sticks) (softened) I use margarine
1 cup of sugar
1 large egg
2 tsp of baking powder
1 tsp of vanilla

Preheat oven to 400 F.

Cream butter and sugar. Add egg and vanilla.

Mix baking powder and flour and starting adding 1 cup at a time.

The mixture will get thick. You can knead the last cup by hand.

Divide into two balls. Roll out and cut into desired shapes.

Put in an ungreased cookie sheet and bake for 6-7 minutes, or until it is slightly golden brown around the edges.

Makes 20-24 cookies.

HoneyBunnyCakeyPie Posted 25 May 2006 , 12:42am
post #4 of 13

haha Actually, I have a great sugar cookie recipe that I cant seem to get wrong.
Its the chocolate chip variety that Im having issues with.

MariaLovesCakes Posted 25 May 2006 , 12:45am
post #5 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyBunnyCakeyPie

haha Actually, I have a great sugar cookie recipe that I cant seem to get wrong.
Its the chocolate chip variety that Im having issues with.

Oh, darn! icon_wink.gificon_lol.gif And I thought I had a gold mine winner recipe for ya!

HoneyBunnyCakeyPie Posted 25 May 2006 , 12:46am
post #6 of 13

aww I really appreciate you taking the time to respond to my post!

Kos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kos Posted 25 May 2006 , 2:26am
post #7 of 13

First of all HoneyBunnyCakePie, I have to say that I love your user name. It's very catch-y! icon_biggrin.gif

I don't have an answer for you but have always had the same problem with chocolate chip cookies until I added a secret ingredient,...(drumroll) 1 box (the small size) of instant vanilla pudding. It makes the cookies nice and chewy and NOT flat.

kos

ddog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddog Posted 25 May 2006 , 2:42am
post #8 of 13

i'd try adding more flour, My betty Crocker cook book says, "Bake a test cookie . If it spreads more than desired add 1 to 2 tablespoons of flour, or refrigerate dough". It also says "cool cookie sheet between batches or dough will spread on hot sheets". I almost always add about 1/8 to 1/4 cup extra flour in my choc chip cookies!

simply Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
simply Posted 25 May 2006 , 6:28am
post #9 of 13

marialoves cakes
what happened to the flour in your recipe? How much do you use?

Schmoop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Schmoop Posted 25 May 2006 , 6:53am
post #10 of 13

My recipe is the Nestle Tollhouse one found on the back of the chocolate chip package. It never fails and everyone loves it!

Speaking of sugar cookies...
Unfortunaltely, the No Fail Sugar cookies on this site ALWAYS fail / frustrate me in the rolling out process, even chilled. I tried a batch again tonight, my 4th stab at this recipe, for a cookie bouguet and I was so annoyed that I tried it again. I remembered, after the fact, using the Wilton recipe for Christmas cookies and they turned out great!

Kos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kos Posted 25 May 2006 , 11:30am
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmoop

... I remembered, after the fact, using the Wilton recipe for Christmas cookies and they turned out great!

I've been using that recipe again too. I think it's easier to handle and the cookies seem to be a bit softer. The main difference in the two recipes is the amount of baking powder. I don't know that affects a recipe.

kos

MariaLovesCakes Posted 25 May 2006 , 12:15pm
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by simply

marialoves cakes
what happened to the flour in your recipe? How much do you use?

Oh, DEAR!!! Sorry, Its 3 cups of all purpose flour. I use unbleached.

mushbug9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mushbug9 Posted 25 May 2006 , 12:21pm
post #13 of 13

Usually the spreading of cookies have to do with the butter/margerine melting. Try freezing your scooped out dough even if just for a few minutes to firm up the dough and cool it enough that the butter won't ment before the cookie is set up. You can even make your dough, partition it into ice cube trays, freeze it, then bake them whenever you want. I also agree with the above poster that if you are using margerine at all, make sure it isn't the "spread" type. Good Luck

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%